Start / Stop a service remotely on Windows XP

I am trying to start / stop / query a service remotely between two Windows XP computers. The target computer is running the Home Edition and the other the Professional Edition (though I have tried them both as target). I have searched and tried many methods to no avail--I always get an "Access Denied" error. I will try to present all the facts and methods.

Facts:

(1) Ports 445 and 139 are open on both machines (in fact, the target machine has Windows Firewall disabled)

(2) I am attempting to do this within my local (home) network, and there are no other firewalls (software or otherwise) being run on either computer.

(3) Even though the firewalls should have no effect, I have tried setting the "Allow remote administration exception" on the target computer using the Group Policy editor (under "Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Network Connections>Windows Firewall>Domain Profile").

(4) I have successfully shared files and printers between these two computers, but have not set up any other permissions. Specifically: I do not know how (or if it's possible) to give access rights on the target computer to a user on another computer.

(5) I have enabled the "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager" service on the target computer. I am not sure if there are any other services that might need to be enabled in order to manage other services remotely.

(6) Both computers are using administrator accounts.

Methods:

(1) My first attempt was of course to use "MMC.exe" (Microsoft Management Console) or "services.msc". I clicked "Action>Connect to another computer" and entered the computer's network name, but I receive a pop-up error indicating "Error 5: Access Denied".

(2) I have also tried using command line utilities like "SC.exe" and Sysinternals' "PSService.exe". The latter gave me some hope, as it allows one to specify a remote username and password. I tried "PSService.exe \\COMPUTERNAME -u Username -p Password query" (with the correct username and password), but still received an Access Denied error.

What on earth am I doing wrong?
4 answers Last reply
More about start stop service remotely windows
  1. Unfortunately, I've already tried that (as I noted in Method (2) above). It, too, fails due to an Access Denied error.

I found instructions to "add" remote administrators for Vista, but can't find anything for XP. Even so, I tried the Vista directions, but I don't have a "Local Usage and Groups" in "CompMgmt.msc".

( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/scexe-create-causes-access-denied-error/9369af3f-7966-4557-b9a5-ffe53cf40ca5 )

Anything equivalent in XP?

Is there a way to use "Net Use" to access services remotely? Or can I use "Net User" to somehow add a remote user?

Thanks in advance.
  2. This issue remains unresolved. I realize I wrote a lot in my initial post, but I believe it's better to get as much information out as possible to avoid a lot of trial & error testing.

If there is any more (or less) information I can provide, please let me know. As I mentioned above, I think the problem might simply be getting permissions from one computer in the workgroup to another, but that doesn't explain why PSService.exe fails despite valid credentials.

Thanks again.
  3. Should I post again more concisely? I get the feeling I'm not going to be able to resolve this unless I take a course in Windows network management.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows XP