Dell cpu fan replacement and amps

kailuron

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have a Dell dimension 4550 with a bad jmc/datech CPU fan 12v .85a I also had two Dell dimension 3000 that I tore apart ages ago leaving two working nidec betav 12v 1.8a. My question is, can I put one of the good fans in place of the bad one? I ask because I have heard that the higher amp will only make the computer louder (fine by me I have an original Xbox 360 noise is not a problem) but I have also heard it could cause problems with the connector on the mobo or with the mobo entirely (Which I would prefer avoiding). I have finals this and next week so i have no time for shopping or waiting for a fan to ship and i actually had this exact problem two months ago when suddenly i got the fan to work after thorough cleaning, but again i have a time frame, i actually already have late work :/

I will say last time i did hook up a 1.8a fan to the computer and it was fine but i did it only shortly because i was anxious not knowing if it was dangerous for my computer and decided to try the old fan and all of a sudden it worked again after failing entirely 3 times before. I just dont know whether prolonged use could make it dangerous or if it could randomly cause damage so any knowledgeable answers are graciously welcome.

acer0169

Distinguished
It shouldn't damage your computer in anyway using the higher amp fan, it'll just be louder as you say. Personally, I'd suggest plugging it in, but ordering either a replacement stock fan or something else that'll do the job so in a week or so's time you can have a quieter computer and know 100% everything is hunky-doory.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

As long as the pin-out in the connector is the same, using the higher amperage fan will be fine. Dell had some odd, 3-pin, 4-pin, and even 5-pin fans that were used with some of their older systems. If the physical connector is the same between the 2 fans, you should be okay. Good luck!