Not Always Good?

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Hey peeps! Quick question! Can overclocking the CPU/GPU negativley affect my frame-rate? It's seems to me that some games (Batman A.A. cough cough) run worse when I overclock. What gives?

Here are my specs by the way
----------------------------------
CPU - Athlon II X4 3.0 (3.4 O.C.)

Mobo - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO

Ram - G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

PSU - Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W

GPU - ASUS EAH6850 DCDirect Cooling

Monitor - Acer G205HV 1600x900 max
-----------------------------------

Solution
Some drivers are better at taking GPU overclocking than others.

When the NVIDIA 26x.xx drivers first came out I tried them, getting 10FPS LESS with a core of 720 than if I used the stock 576, leaving me with no option but to go back to 197.xx drivers.

I've never really heard of CPU overclocking giving lower frame rates unless it's not stable or set up correctly with auto-underclocking settings kicking in when playing games.

Make sure your graphics cards don't underclock for any reason while playing games, check with Aida64 or something similar that your clocks and voltages are steady while gaming.

Like that you've got an Acer monitor, I'm rocking a V243HL here, sexy LED 24" monitor. Very impressed with Acer.. but no, before you ask...

acer0169

Distinguished
Some drivers are better at taking GPU overclocking than others.

When the NVIDIA 26x.xx drivers first came out I tried them, getting 10FPS LESS with a core of 720 than if I used the stock 576, leaving me with no option but to go back to 197.xx drivers.

I've never really heard of CPU overclocking giving lower frame rates unless it's not stable or set up correctly with auto-underclocking settings kicking in when playing games.

Make sure your graphics cards don't underclock for any reason while playing games, check with Aida64 or something similar that your clocks and voltages are steady while gaming.

Like that you've got an Acer monitor, I'm rocking a V243HL here, sexy LED 24" monitor. Very impressed with Acer.. but no, before you ask, my name has nothing to do with the brand ;)

Solution

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
That could be the case. But I'm using TurboEvo's auto-configure feature to overclock. It always gets up to about %25-%27 boost then crashes when it's auto-tuning. Then we crash and get rebooted after the crash files get dumped. It then sets the boost at %19. I guess that's the most stable settings it found right? So I would figure if the PSU couldn't handle it it would crash much sooner? Uh...... thanks for the replies
!