Sign in with
Your question

System restarts 'once' when booting always

Last response: in Overclocking
April 26, 2011 2:25:40 PM

Hello dear friends..

I built a new system ( a week older ). The specs are :
1. Asus P8P67 Pro ---- Intel Core i7 2600K ---- HD 6950 2GB ----- Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler --- Tuniq TX-3 Thermal Paste ---- Corsair TX750W PSU ---- GSkill 4 x 2 GB Sandy Bridge RAM @ Dimm 2 and 4 (9-9-9-24) @ 1600MHz ---- Win 7 Ultimate Original 64 bit

My problems are :

1. At idle, CPU temp is around 35-41 Celsius. But at load it goes up to 56-60 celsius @ 3.4GHz ( factory speed ). Is this normal?
2.I use ASUS's Software which came with MOBO called Auto tune. So i used it to overclock ( just a press of button ). The problems are :

I:
a. Speed @ 4.3GHz ---- When restarting or booting normally, the system starts for 3-4 seconds, shuts down immediately and again restarts again. This happens even with a overclock through bios feature ( EFI Bios - When using Performance mode - ASUS owners know this probably). Is this normal?
b. Speed @ 4.3GHz ---- The temperature is around 45Celsius idle and 65 Celsius at load. Is this normal?

II:
a. Speed @ 4.7GHz --- Same restarting problem occurs but both the cases, the boot after this problem is smooth and doesnot have any effect.
b.Speed @ 4.7Ghz ---- Temperature @ Idle : 50Celsius Temparature @ load: 97Celsius ( In prime95 , two cores actually reached 98C, but did not shutdown. It ranged from 89C to 98C for nearly 45 min, then eventually I stopped).. Is this temperature ok?

I have applied TX-3 Thermalpaste ( First time user of CPU, hence I am not sure i applied well, but I believe i did ok in that job) and Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler with one fan.
CASE : Thermaltake Element G with 5 Fans

So, to sum up my doubts :
1. Is this booting sequence normal or something is wrong that I should not overclock?
2. The temperature seems to a bit out of control for the paste and fan I use. Should I do anything or this temperaturess are normal at the speed?
3. Automatically, in Bios, the RAM speed is set to 1333Mhz but mine is rated at 1600MHz, so should I change it manually?

The most frustrating of all is :
It has four USB 3.0 Ports, two is given by a bracket and two built in motherboard. When Connecting my WD Passport HDD through the USB 3.0 ports(built in), every few seconds it disconnects and reconnects. Even after clean install of Windows, this happens. But connecting through the USB 3.0 brackets provided by ASUS connects without a problem. It has anything to do with the motherboard or everyone experiencing such problems?

Note : a. I have updated the bios to latest 1502 version
b. My windows 7 is upto date with SP1 ( The USB problem occurs even without Updates )

Guys, please help me out as this is my priced possession and I love these too much that I have slept sparsely since I built this system.

Regards,

Arun.S
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2011 3:27:40 PM

The dual-boot problem is common with Sandy Bridge systems. Usually, it only happens on cold boots, but I have heard of others where it happens when restarting as well. Mine does it even at stock speed, but only on cold boots.

I. Sounds about right, assuming CPU voltage is left at Auto.

II. Again, sounds about right. The CPU voltage Auto setting is likely feeding the CPU too much voltage and that's why the temp climbs so high. And no, those temps are not safe. If you are going to be feeding the CPU that kind of voltage, the 212 Plus isn't the cooler for you. It's okay for mid-level overclocks but cannot control the temps when highly over-volted.

1. The dual-booting is common and there isn't a consistent way of getting rid of it.

2. Your idle temp at both speeds seems high. What's the room temp? You may not have the cooler attached correctly, or you may have applied the thermal compound too thick or something.

3. Yes, you should set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage manually or use the XMP setting.

For the USB problem ... is that drive a USB3 drive? If not, you should connect it to the USB2 ports. You won't get any extra speed by connecting it to a USB3 port unless it's a USB3 drive, and it may cause problems like the one you describe.
April 26, 2011 3:37:16 PM

I thought the temporary fix for the dual booting problem was to enabled wake on PCI-E from the BIOS? Might be worth a shot.
Related resources
April 26, 2011 3:37:23 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
The dual-boot problem is common with Sandy Bridge systems. Usually, it only happens on cold boots, but I have heard of others where it happens when restarting as well. Mine does it even at stock speed, but only on cold boots.

I. Sounds about right, assuming CPU voltage is left at Auto.

II. Again, sounds about right. The CPU voltage Auto setting is likely feeding the CPU too much voltage and that's why the temp climbs so high. And no, those temps are not safe. If you are going to be feeding the CPU that kind of voltage, the 212 Plus isn't the cooler for you. It's okay for mid-level overclocks but cannot control the temps when highly over-volted.

1. The dual-booting is common and there isn't a consistent way of getting rid of it.

2. Your idle temp at both speeds seems high. What's the room temp? You may not have the cooler attached correctly, or you may have applied the thermal compound too thick or something.

3. Yes, you should set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage manually or use the XMP setting.

For the USB problem ... is that drive a USB3 drive? If not, you should connect it to the USB2 ports. You won't get any extra speed by connecting it to a USB3 port unless it's a USB3 drive, and it may cause problems like the one you describe.

Hiya...

!. Yup, mine is a Passport Essential USB 3.0 Drive
2. My Room temperature is 30C ( Im in india, so its pretty much High )

So I must settle somewhere around 4.3-4.5 GHz so I wont fry my CPU?

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 26, 2011 3:39:41 PM

Temps are definitely a bit high for that cooler, and no 89C is definitely NOT ok. It shouldn't be run much over 70C. 75C in Intel Burn Test is ok since regular usage won't run it that hard but over 80C is definitely not good. I suggest you remove, clean, and reseat the heatsink.

I don't know about that boot up issue. I guess you'll have to try researching that a bit. Maybe it's an issue with your motherboard. Maybe you can RMA it?

And you should definitely not use auto tune to push it very far. It is not going to give you optimal settings. It's fine for mild OCs but obviously the 4.7ghz OC is getting way too hot and most likely from too much voltage.

As for the RAM yes you need to change it manually, and set the appropriate timings. JEDEC specs top out at 1333mhz and CL8 I think, anything faster than that is considered an overclocked speed.
April 26, 2011 3:41:02 PM

R4ekwon said:
I thought the temporary fix for the dual booting problem was to enabled wake on PCI-E from the BIOS? Might be worth a shot.

Hi...

I wud try that and post it ( Im at present away from my system and I would report asap...)

By the way, Has the P8P67 Pro got the Bios Update to 1503? I believe Deluxe got them.. Also, In Rev 3.1 The USB 3.0 Have been changed to ASMedia Controllers, rather than NEC controllers...
April 26, 2011 3:44:28 PM

@wolfram: I am inclined in doing so sooner.... May be I will do it some time today and report back with the temperatures
April 26, 2011 5:48:03 PM

The BIOS is still 1502 on the website but the PCI-E on Wake information came from Asus themselves, they said the dual booting will be fixed in the next BIOS update.
May 3, 2011 7:17:34 AM

R4ekwon said:
The BIOS is still 1502 on the website but the PCI-E on Wake information came from Asus themselves, they said the dual booting will be fixed in the next BIOS update.

Hey guys, one more problem.... The system does not resume from sleep/ hibernation. I have to do manual shutdown and on bootup it shows that i have to upgrade my firmware.... Any ideas?
!