Did you upgrade from a 4850 or buy a second?

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I am curious to see if anyone purchased a 4850 and then later purchase a second for crossfire. The reason I bring this up is that as I cruise through different message boards, I see a lot of people asking whether or not they should crossfire or upgrade to a faster single solution card. The responses are definitely mixed and I recently had that decision to make myself.

I decided to purchase a second 4850 and crossfire them. This is the first time I will be running a multi-GPU setup and I feel like I am finally making use of my plan to buy a motherboard and videocard that is crossfire capable and buy a second videocard when the prices come down. One can argue that I should have sold my current 4850 and applied that money towards a higher end videocard, but I feel as though games are really taking off in supporting crossfire and SLI. Granted, I also invested in a Corsair 850-TX as I didn't feel comfortable on relying on my 4 year old Antec trupower 550w for a crossfire setup, but this gives me flexibility in the future.

So, with that being said, if you've had a similar decision to make such as I have, what did you do and how do you feel about your decision?

My current build is now nearly 3 years old and was built with a single slot MB.
While I still dislike CF/SLI it is a decision I regret.
Yes, I'd go CF/SLI now and plan on doing just that when I build/upgrade next year.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I was OK with one 4850 until people from my work purchased me a $80 newegg gift card. That is when the wheels started turning and I could finally make crossfire and killer performance a reality.