Cooler for a 955

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Well as my case isn't that wide to fit cm212+ I have two options to change my stock 955phenom cooler.

It's scytche katana 3 and coolermaster tx3.

As both costs almost the same. Which of them would be better for a little oc, cool temps and queitness?
I have 15cm of space from the motherboard to the side of the case.

My current temps are 40c idle and 58-62 load.

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
What about scythe katana? Would it fit?

What would be better? Scytche katana3 or tx3 with two 92mm coolers?

Offtopic:
I need to buy it very soon because the smell in my room is very bad from my pc lol. Because of summer has come gpu load temps has raised to 88c lol, when in spring it was only 71.

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
It says that tx3 is compatible with 130w TDP cpu, and scythe katana only 65w. So why the diff is so big? Or it doesn't mean anything?

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
This is my 3rd post in a row,sorry.
But I need simple advice. Could someone upload a display of how to put thermal grease correctly on a 955phenom, because my scythe katana has arrived.
Also I wanted to know how to remove old thermal grease in a home conditions, for ex. what I have to use? An alcohol or a glass cleaner or smth like that?

You have the same surface of the review's cooler, so, follow the step on it and you will be fine. Remember not apply a lot of TIM, that can give you problems when you adjust the cooler with pressure to the CPU.

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Well I've replaced TIM, and put even thinner layer of it.

Now @3,4ghz idle are about 38C with 530rpm.

I'll try to stress cpu with cpuburn. Is there any better app than a coretemp to record temps?

What temps are exact temps of my cpu at aida64? cpu or cpu core 1,2,3,4. Because core temps are bit higher at load and lower at idle than a cpu temps

For stress test:

y-cruncher in stress test mode
LinX
prime95
OCCT

For reading temps and other stuffs

HWMonitor
CoreTemp
Speedfan
AIDA64

For know the max load temp, test the CPU for 30 minutes or more.