~ 2,000-3,000 Gaming Monster Machine Build ~

xquizit

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Summer of 2009 - Early December <I am waiting for the new call of duty to drop on 11/10/09>

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: In need of a new gaming rig, new mousepad..monitor..the whole shi-bang.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg or TigerDirect, Dell <Monitor, possibly>

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nice Monitor, 2560x res... i7 Intel, and Nvidia GTX 295

OVERCLOCKING: Most likely no, unless I ask the person who's putting my computer together to do so.
SLI in the future? Yes!!! I want to QUAD SLI the 295 GTX in the future, and have a PSU/MOBO future proof

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2560x...

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Not worried about noise, just air flow and proper cooling.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail here

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

BFG Tech BFGEGTX2951792E GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video ... - Retail

BFG Tech EX-1200 BFGR1200WEXPSU 1200W Continuous Rated at 40°C ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS ... - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory with Airflow Fan Model TR3X6G1866C7GTF G - Retail

Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail

Saitek PK17U Black/Silver USB Standard Cyborg Keyboard - Retail

Creative Fatal1ty USB Circumaural Gaming Headset - Smaller Box

Monitor: I LOVE FPS games, and I do get into mmorpgs..but I prefer fast paced Games.. I was thinking about a nice monitor.. Dell 3008 30" About $1,200... The thing is I want to play on the high res possible 2560x and I dont want any ghosting...Any suggestions?

For a 30" computer monitor thats $$$, do you guys recommend me buying a 40" HD tv? But I'm thinking about attaching my xbox360 to my computer monitor..and watching movies and TV on it as well.

Also should I pay for a sound card? Only $100 for an x-fi gamer card... if yes.. then recommend a good pair of speakers. Or if no, do you think its worth gettin speakers if I still dont have an aftermarket sound card <thats not onboard>.

TOTAL /w no monitor & mousepad: $2,500

Feel free to contact me on AIM: QroniC 2oO1

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm not going to argue with your system there xquizit, i don't want to go against you in COD4 :p.

Change your case to the new Antec Nine Hundred Two, same size as the one you listed but has multiple improvements and is made with better material.

The Logitech is awful to be honest, get the Roccat Kone or the Razer Lachesis for your FPS games.

To compliment your Fatal1ty headset, get an X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E x1 soundcard. I have one in mine, cannot fault the sound at all.

Kudos on the Corsair RAM choice.

And as gkay09 said, you may as well go for an SSD for your OS (OCZ Vertex Series V2 is my suggestion). Dont even bother with WD though, Samsung Spinpoint F1 gives you better performance per dollar.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm not going to argue with your system there xquizit, i don't want to go against you in COD4 :p.

Change your case to the new Antec Nine Hundred Two, same size as the one you listed but has multiple improvements and is made with better material.

The Logitech is awful to be honest, get the Roccat Kone or the Razer Lachesis for your FPS games.

To compliment your Fatal1ty headset, get an X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E x1 soundcard. I have one in mine, cannot fault the sound at all.

And as gkay09 said, you may as well go for an SSD for your OS (OCZ Vertex Series V2 is my suggestion). Dont even bother with WD though, Samsung Spinpoint F1 gives you better performance per dollar.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

xquizit

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

I currently use an MX518, and I know for a fact RAZER makes shittty products. Copperhead broke down in 6months, diamondback 4months. I am aware of the warranty, but if I were to try a new mouse it would be the g9 (or a g7, to switch from the mx518 but have the same design).

In addittion, why am I granted Kudos on the RAM choice.. have others had problems with it? To be honest, the cooling factor really impressed me on the memory.

Furthermore, is it worth upgrading to the X-FI Titanium? There's a 50 dollar hiatus between the two sound cards.

And between the 900 #2 and a 1200..which would be best? I'm planning on Quad SLI 2x 295 GTXs, and I want my MOBO / PSU to be future proof. Can you guys check that out for me, and I might be good to go! :)

Thanks for the two replies so far, it's much appreciated.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Any 30 inch monitor worth getting is well over $1000. If you do want a 30 inch monitor the Dell 3007 is great for gaming, the 3008 has inputs for other things like the Xbox/PS3, but has a little more lag (I use the 3008 after trying a 3007 and the lag is barely noticeable compared to other monitors). For competitive gaming the Dell monitors are more than adequate and have stunning image quality.

The ram is a good choice overall.

Best mouse? I went through 2 G9's (previously had G7 and a G5) in a year, they're not great TBH, they're nto as accurate as other mice. Either the steelseries Ikari, or if you've got the cash the Razer Mamba (I just bought the Mamba and it's awesome).

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Also, I'd get a different motherboard. The P6T Deluxe V2 will have a space between your cards and offer better cooling.

And don't bother with the Velociraptor, I bought the same one last year and since upgraded to an SSD. Just get an OCZ vertex and forget the velociraptor.

Also don't waste any cash on the sound card unless you already have, or are going to buy, a good set of speakers. I don't think it's worth it for logitech speakers. Onboard sound will work fine.

xquizit

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

Thank you, I just realized I would be using a headset ninety-nine percent of the time. I'm new to the two harddrive situation. I'm guessing one is for the OS only, and the other for games. I'm also unaware of RAID, but I'm sure the person together my computer might know.

What mouse do you recommend? This is a touchy subject... hmm the mx518 doesn't have the perfect feel. I guess I can go to a store and check out the mice, but what about the RAZER prodect that was mentioned?

Regarding to the Monitor: 3007 is the way to go, because response time is very important to me. I hope they still sell them brand new.

Do I need any aftermarket coolers?
Would the Mobo change to the p6T be a better choice(remember QUAD SLI /w 295 GTXs)?

Logitech gaming mice vs. RAZER mice is a truly epic battle with hardcore veterans on both sides. Buy your mouse locally and judge for yourself. Comfort should be the first priority over mice specs.

I prefer logitech mice. They have a more "solid" feel vs. the razer mice. Also they have a steep slant to the right (more so then RAZER) that takes the pressure off the wrist. Even a friend of mine returned his RAZER mouse because it hurt after about an hour or 2.

The logitech g5 is on sale at newegg for 50 bucks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104076
ugly but awesome mouse.

From RAZER I would get the mamba, with both wired and wireless ability it's worth the 130 dollar asking price IMO.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153048&Tpk=mamba

To the best of my knowledge surround sound gaming does not work on most onboard sound cards. This is fine if you have a surround sound USB headset. But if you have a direct input surround headset like the RAZER barracuda then I would definitely get a sound card.

xquizit

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
G

Even with 2 GTX 295s you won't need a 1200W PSU. I wouldn't go higher than 1000W to be honest.

Also, I have the Fatal1ty headset and it sucks. You're basically spending a bunch of extra money for a name. I've used $20 headsets that are far better. Wish I never would've wasted my money on that headset.

G

Logitch no question makes the best mice.

Quad GTX295? I think just two GTX295 would be bottlenecked by your processor at 2.66ghz.

Since the GTX 295 is a single SLI'd card, using two of them is referred to as quad SLI.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

Newegg reviews are, and always will be a waste of time. You can get a general feel for certain products, but for the most part they are not reliable.

You can still get the 3007 brand new, I switched to teh 3008 because I found the 3007 fuzzy. At best, the amount of INPUT lag is a few ms more on the 3008, probably not noticeable since in online games the network will introduce more lag. The response time on both monitors is excellent. Again, I play in professional leagues for a few games and have found the 3008 to be perfect.

For headsets, I'd suggest the Sennheiser gaming series (161, 350). I own the PC350 and it's decent for games, better than any other headset I've tried. Since then I've moved to actual quality headphones + attachable mic.

If you get an OCZ vertex and a 1tb storage drive, no RAID is required, it's just plug them into sata ports and use the SSD for a boot drive + a few games.

The only Razer mouse worth getting is the Mamba (imo), it's much more precise than the logitech and is both wired and wireless, the cheaper ones were not as comfortable and lacked features compared to the Logitech. If you want the perfect mouse, get the Mamba, otherwise, get a G9/G5 or Steelseries Ikari.

Finally, Quad SLI is great on a 30 inch monitor, if however you get anything other than a 30 inch monitor then buy 2x GTX285's/275 or 2x ATI4890's and run them in SLI/crossfire. I've tried the 4890s on a 30 inch monitor and for the most part they were fine except for very few games.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
on the subject of the mouse, I've seen that the microsoft x8 seems to be the gaming mouse of choice so look into that.

also a trio of GTX 285's beats dual 295's so look into those aswell.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I disagree with the crosair domintor ram choice. That ram is for major overclocking (4ghz+) which you've stated you don't plan on doing it. Pick up a set with tighter timings instead. That will benfit your rig the best.
Possible choice: OCZ platinum
I mean after rebate you could get two sets for cheaper than one set of the domintors and they will be even faster.

As for power supply, I would consider corsair 1000hx or Antec signature 850 -which is just the best psu you can buy in that wattage bracket. The BFG i would be a bit worried when it comes to quality. It just hasn't proven itself to me yet that it can be considerd a top teir psu. (both the psu's i recommended would be able to handle two gtx 295's)

xaira

Distinguished
Dell Monitor Good Idea
Not Sure Of the specific mouse but i know that theres no other brand i would trust with my money more than logitech for mouse/kbd/speakers

that board is great but it might be overkill x8 x8 or x16 x16 dosent really make a diff even with gtx 295
cheaper and more practical alternative either would be

for 2x gtx 295 + physics
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359
Reviewers give it 4/5 eggs

for 2x gtx 295 only
MSI X58 Platinum SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130220
Reviewers give it 4/5 eggs

ram could be yet cheaper
i found this set 1600 8-8-8-24 #1 ram maker on earth might not be interested in breaking 2533mhz but stable and cheap and wont make any giant coolers angry like the corsair sets, $154.99-$104.99 after rebate 6gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104092

and if 2.66 ghz is a bottleneck then its wierd that the same 2.66ghz oblitherates other quads running at 3.0+

also an ssd and a storage drive is usual for a build of this price
heres a nice 120 gb ssd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227395

alot are fans of the 1TB caviar black but the samsungs appear to please more people
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

good luck with the build, you have the ability to oc if you ever hear the call.

2x gtx 295s require at least 900W

POWER SUPPLY CALC
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=power

I REcommend the corsair 1000w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

also for 2x gtx295s i would recommend a full tower
either the antec 1200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&Tpk=antec%201200

or

xilco wbtk adv
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103019

tecmo34

Administrator
+1 to Helloworld_98... Tri-SLI of GTX285 will out perform the Quad-SLI GTX 295. | +1 to kubes on the RAM choice. The OCZ Platinum has served me well and with the lower timings and cost... it is the better choice... IMO :D

As for the mouse.... I'm a fan of Razer and love my DeathAdder but a mouse is about how it feels in your hands so I highly recommend going to a store and seeing what feels good to you.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
@xaira, don't bother screwing stuff up again.

I mean, now you put dual GTX 295's on a board with doesn't support SLI.

and you listen to newegg reviews, I mean, how much can you not learn, TBH you're lucky badtrip hasn't found one of your posts yet.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I personally hate the idea of dropping $500 on one video card...several years ago I dropped four benjamins on an ATI x1800xt (which was top dog at the time)...even though the video card did last me quite a while, within a year there was something bigger and better...

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

The X8 isn't bad, I have a few friends who like it.

I agree that tri SLI works better, but it's difficult to find a motherboard that will support Tri SLI + a sound card (in my case). The cards also get really hot in Tri SLI since there is no room to breathe. The SLI 295's will have space between them (on certain boards), and work very well.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ look at the asrock x58 deluxe, 4 PCIe x16 slots running @ x8 or two @ x16.

Not sure if it supports SLI though, but tri-fire scales better so you'd probably be better off anyway.

xquizit

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Ok so switching my mother board to something that offers me a chance to 2x 295 GTX + a sound card...
I was told the p6t deluxe v2 has nice space in between cards on the PCIe slots.

In addittion, I will be swapping out MEMORY.. but before I make this decision I forgot to mention.....
I indeed want to OC my i7 processor, somewhere around 3.9ghz <hopefully>. If that works out, why not OC the ram too? So I have to speak with the person puttin together my computer.. if he doesn't know how (which I doubt), then it's time for some research!

I will be deciding on the mouse myself.. I appreciate the help so far on that.. I have so many mice to research and feel out.

Now that I do want to OC, some things might change...

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

I have crossfire on my other rig, but I use some apps that benefit from cuda and the difference is remarkable.

I'll look into that mobo.