Raid 0 Back-up Image? Transfer of w7 OEM to SSD?

JoMo87

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I am thinking about upgrading my system with two OCZ Agility 2 SSD's and setting them up in Raid 0 configuration. I have read in multiple posts that chance for a drive failure is greatly increased under the raid 0 configuration. With that in mind, is there a way to create an image file of all data (desired applications and OS) on a separate Hard Drive (1tb document and media HDD) so that in case of data corruption, I may restore the data back onto the raid 0 configuration after reformatting the drives?

Also I am currently using OEM version of windows 7 64-bit, is there a way to uninstall the OEM version from my current harddrive without having to format the full drive? Or would I have to create a back up on an external drive and then rearrange the files after the raid 0 configuration is set up and the OS is reinstalled on the SSDs?

Thank-you in advance for any feedback. Not sure if this would be helpful, but heres more information on my system:

MB: Asus Maximus III Formula
CPU: i7-860 @2.80 Ghz
RAM: G-skill 2x (2x2GB kit)
GPU: Radeon 4870
PSU: 1000W AZZA

Acronis True Image Home can backup/restore raid arrays. You can download a free copy and see if it supports your raid chipset.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

I'm not sure what you are asking in the second paragraph. Are you trying to transfer your current OS to the RAID SSD? If so, I'd recommend a clean install on the SSD's without your current hard drive attached. Attach the hard drive after the OS is installed on the SSD's that way you can retrieve data off of it if need be.

JoMo87

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Yea, after re-reading the second paragraph I realized I didn't present the question too clearly. Yes, I want to move the OS from HDD to SSD, while being able to keep all the files I currently have on the HDD. So installing the OS on SSD won't create a conflict with the OS already installed on the HDD after installing it on both? And from there, I can move select files from the HDD to the SSD? After doing so would I then have to reformat the HDD to remove the OS from there? Just a reminder I am using the OEM version, if that makes this not possible, then I guess I'll just have to suck it up and start from scratch :sweat:

I don't think you can have the OEM installed twice. Also, I misunderstood your initial questioning. I thought you wanted to set up a RAID 0 with the SSD's and make backups to your HDD. If you are installing the OS on an SSD or RAID, I'd recommend a clean install. Once that is done, True Image can then back up the raided SSD's to the HDD.