Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading CPU on a Toshiba A215-S4747 notebook

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Toshiba
Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2009 9:51:17 AM

Similar topic as the one I posted on the HP CQ60-211DX. Realizing how possible it is to do with an Intel laptop, I'm wanting to do the same thing with my older AMD Toshiba.

So the question is, what series and models of processors can I upgrade it to? Though I doubt I'll be able to get nearly as awesome a performance jump as from the Celeron to the Core 2 Duo.

I'm not having as much luck digging up info on the AMD processors as I did with the Intel ones, so I'm afraid I can't provide as much background info as last thread.

From the previous thread, I'm assuming that I'll need to upgrade my bios, also. So where would I go about finding an updated bios for this motherboard?

Finally, I'd like to get smarter on this stuff rather than just keep asking everyone here. Could someone point me to some resources that'll help me learn how a lot of this stuff works, and what's compatible with what?

Thanks!

Luke

More about : upgrading cpu toshiba a215 s4747 notebook

September 6, 2009 2:56:24 PM

it's not so easy to upgrade a processor in a laptop. mainly because it's really hard to find the processors, secondly i doubt that laptop manufacturers release latest bioses to support latest gens of cpus.

i can't even seem to find a single mobile processor at newegg.com. also these mobile processors are really expensive.

what i'm trying to say is that it's mostly likely not worth it to try to upgrade the processor. might as well purchase a new laptop.
m
l
September 6, 2009 4:29:50 PM

godless said:
it's not so easy to upgrade a processor in a laptop. mainly because it's really hard to find the processors, secondly i doubt that laptop manufacturers release latest bioses to support latest gens of cpus.

i can't even seem to find a single mobile processor at newegg.com. also these mobile processors are really expensive.

Thanks for your input, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

Mobile processors are all over eBay. NewEgg and TigerDirect are great for desktops, but lousy for laptops. Still, the processors can be found.

With a solid grasp of soldering (if even necessary), and a bit of knowledge and resourcefulness with chipsets and BIOSs (which I'm trying to improve on), upgrading a laptop processor should be just as feasible as with a desktop.

godless said:
what i'm trying to say is that it's mostly likely not worth it to try to upgrade the processor. might as well purchase a new laptop.

Oh, it's quite worth it. If I can score a better AMD chip for under $100 (easily done on eBay), then I can save myself $600 on a new laptop that will really be nothing more than the same laptop with a better processor and an additional Windows Vista license. Very much worth the trouble.

Thanks to the gurus here, I've a very strong grasp on the process with Intel motherboards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266208-28-upgrade-cq6...

If I can only get ahold of a solid tutorial/class on motherboard architecture, as well as references for the different series of chipsets, then I'll be good.

Thanks again, though.

Luke
m
l
!