Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am I Cooling Enough for Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
April 26, 2011 6:11:28 PM

I recently purchased the following from ibuypower

Case(CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black)
Processor(Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache))
Motherboard([SLI] ASUS P8P67 PRO -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth)
Memory(8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card(AMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2GB - Single Card)
Power Supply(750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX)
Processor Cooling(Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan)
Primary Hard Drive(2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
Optical Drive(24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)
Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
Network Card(Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))

With Windows 7 Pro on this, and the intent to do mostly gaming/general use (not much video editing), I intend to give it a basic boost from the MOBO and flash the GPU up towards the 6970 specs. 2 part question here

1) Is this stock cooling system/case (see bold) enough to achieve this? does anyone have any experience with the normal liquid cooling system here?
2) With this system, is thermal paste recommended for me? I'm a bit new to this, so I really don't know the appropriate situations.

Thanks in advance

More about : cooling overclocking

April 26, 2011 7:01:36 PM

Thermal Paste is always recommended. you have to have it to make sure that the HSF makes good thermal contact with the CPU. The paste fills in all the little voids and imperfections on the CPU heat spreader and the heat sink fan assembly.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2011 7:31:55 PM

Thermal paste?
follow the instructions for installing your liquid cooling. they should have a website

Other cooling:
You should have two 120mm case fans in addition to other cooling. Details:
- very quiet, low-flow
- constant low RPM (500RPM roughly, don't buy a variable-speed fan)

Cooling a computer is achieved in two main ways:
1) removal at the hot spots (CPU heatsink/fan)
2) case air removal (quiet, low-flow fans)

A PSU does basically a combination of those two jobs.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 1:32:24 PM

wolfeman42 said:
I recently purchased the following from ibuypower
Processor Cooling(Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan)

1) Is this stock cooling system/case (see bold) enough to achieve this? does anyone have any experience with the normal liquid cooling system here?
2) With this system, is thermal paste recommended for me? I'm a bit new to this, so I really don't know the appropriate situations.

It's an H50 type cooler , setup properly it can do almost as well as some big air coolers, who knows if Ibuypower set it up properly.
It's a prebuilt, they'll have the TIM on the cooler, and if it's the same Shin Etsu used on the H50 there isn't much that's better.
May 9, 2011 12:20:15 PM

Best answer selected by wolfeman42.
m
l
!