Sign in with
Your question
Closed

RAM compatibility with motherboard ??

Last response: in Memory
November 24, 2009 8:02:45 PM

hey...
so today i bought some new computer parts...i have a few questions that are driving me nuts...

Processor - Intel i7 920 2.66 GHz
MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6)
Memory - DDR 3 Kingston RAM Hyper X 1600 MHz 1.65V 2GBx3 Kit
Display card - Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB GDDR 2

I am a bit confused about the RAM's compatibility with this Motherboard.
The Motherboard Manual only mentions support for DDR3 2100/1333/1066/800 MHz...It does not mention 1600 MHz in the manual.
Secondly, it mentions that the memory slots are 4x1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of RAM but due to windows Vista/Xp 32-Bit operating system limitation,when more than 4GB memory is installed,the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB. (i use XP SP 3. what should i change to ?)
Also My RAM runs at 1.65V.Will this damage my motherboard or my cpu (i7 920), since the manual says 4 slots at 1.5V

should i exchange my 1600MHz at 1.65V RAM for 1333MHz at 1.5V or lower
does anybody use 1600MHz 1.65V RAM with an i7 920 and gigabyte EX58 UD3R ?????
will it work fine..should i exchange the RAM or is there a way to lower the voltage or is it fine the way it is?
Will the i7 and the motherboard handle 1.65 V 1600MHz ???
Also what operating system allows over 4GB RAM ?

I know nothing about overclocking etc..I would like to run the system as it is.

Please help....i need to exchange the RAM as soon as possible if necessary.The shop may not exchange it beyond a day or Two.They may not exchange it at all...I already had a bit of a misunderstanding with them today...

Thanks...
November 24, 2009 8:20:50 PM

All memory vendor have compatibility checkers on their site. See the path below.

Read the overclocking guide/memory in this forum. It has the general guide in dealing with memory.

If you are not sure with voltages and ram timing you can always start with default settings on your motherboard bios.

crucial
http://www.crucial.com/

corsair
http://www.corsair.com/

kingston
http://www.kingston.com/

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2009 10:06:33 PM

If your board says 1.5V default (most DDR3 boards do) you CAN use 1.65V memory and it won't damage anything. But you will likely have to go into the BIOS and adjust the memory voltage yourself unless it autodetects and supplies the power correctly. Some boards are good at that, some aren't.

The effect of having not enough voltage supplied to your RAM is usually that you will get random freezes and/or crashes when you try to do anything memory-intensive, so getting that right is a must for smooth operation. But it won't ruin any components by being underpowered.

If you don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, sticking to 1.5V memory for now will probably be easier on you if it doesn't cost you anything to exchange. It's much more likely to just plug-and-play correctly on the first try.

To support more RAM, go with Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit. Those should both allow up to the full 16GB. But you may want to start out with just 4GB or 6GB anyway -- if you fill all four slots, you often run into additional quirkiness in order to get your system stable. So I'd save that for later.

If you put 1600mhz RAM into a board than only supports 1333mhz, all that should happen is the memory will just operate at 1333mhz.

I'm not familiar with that particular motherboard, but usually numbers like that (by which I mean the 2100+) means that it will support 800, 1066 or 1333 mhz RAM by default, and it can support anything between 1333-2100 mhz if you overclock it. Although with RAM designed for 1600 mhz, I'm not sure whether that really qualifies as "overclocking" so much as just entering the correct speed and timings manually.
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2012 12:35:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!