Accessing backup file on external drive created by XP backup utility

beckybodiddly

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Hello,
I backed-up my computer files on an external hard drive using the XP backup utility program. Hard drive crashed, don't really want to replace it, have another computer now with Vista. I want to access the files that I backed up, transfer some of them to my other computer, or just be able to access them on the external drive but cannot access the file. This happened quite a while ago, so any fix that suggests using a restore utility to put it all on my existing Vista computer wouldn't work if I had to reformat and lose all the data on this computer.

With XP backup, I don't believe you have a view option for the backup file like some decent recovery programs have to look at the folders, and drag & drop to a flash drive for example, then carry it to the new computer. You don't want to, but your only alternative may be to put a cheap drive in the old computer, put the os on it, and restore.

beckybodiddly

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Thanks...I did buy a new drive for the computer, but it crashed before I got to the point of restoring my files. Guess I probably need to try that again, but I'm short on money, and even shorter on time. My backup drive is an external hard drive, so I can connect it to my Vista laptop, so being able to access the files inside the backup file would be such a blessing! Thank you, again, and have a blessed day!