Sign in with
Your question

Accessing backup file on external drive created by XP backup utility

Last response: in Windows XP
November 8, 2011 10:51:22 AM

Hello,
I backed-up my computer files on an external hard drive using the XP backup utility program. Hard drive crashed, don't really want to replace it, have another computer now with Vista. I want to access the files that I backed up, transfer some of them to my other computer, or just be able to access them on the external drive but cannot access the file. This happened quite a while ago, so any fix that suggests using a restore utility to put it all on my existing Vista computer wouldn't work if I had to reformat and lose all the data on this computer.
November 8, 2011 11:41:18 AM

beckybodiddly said:
Hello,
I backed-up my computer files on an external hard drive using the XP backup utility program. Hard drive crashed, don't really want to replace it, have another computer now with Vista. I want to access the files that I backed up, transfer some of them to my other computer, or just be able to access them on the external drive but cannot access the file. This happened quite a while ago, so any fix that suggests using a restore utility to put it all on my existing Vista computer wouldn't work if I had to reformat and lose all the data on this computer.

With XP backup, I don't believe you have a view option for the backup file like some decent recovery programs have to look at the folders, and drag & drop to a flash drive for example, then carry it to the new computer. You don't want to, but your only alternative may be to put a cheap drive in the old computer, put the os on it, and restore.
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:35:40 AM

ksiemb said:
With XP backup, I don't believe you have a view option for the backup file like some decent recovery programs have to look at the folders, and drag & drop to a flash drive for example, then carry it to the new computer. You don't want to, but your only alternative may be to put a cheap drive in the old computer, put the os on it, and restore.

Thanks...I did buy a new drive for the computer, but it crashed before I got to the point of restoring my files. Guess I probably need to try that again, but I'm short on money, and even shorter on time. My backup drive is an external hard drive, so I can connect it to my Vista laptop, so being able to access the files inside the backup file would be such a blessing! Thank you, again, and have a blessed day!
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:15:03 PM

i use this and the loca USB backup works perfect for me

Box+ hybrid backup allows you to back up to external drive for free. it is very much click-free like backup, once you plug in any external drive, it asks you if you want to use it as a backup drive. Once you answer yes, it remebers it and continousely and automatically backs up all changed files in selected folders to the external drive.

you can use it absolutely for free. most others charge $30-$60 for the same functionality.

www.boxjia.com
m
l
Related resources
!