Are laptops cheaper in the USA or Canada ?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 9:21:40 PM

I am going to visit both countries soon. I would like to buy a laptop to
bring back with me. Would it be cheaper to buy in Canad or in the USA ? The
second, I guess, but would appreciate comments, and suggestions of computer
shops in Canada. I will be in Quebec for a week.
Adil Vaz

Adil K. Vaz PhD CAV/UDESC
Imunologia VeterinĂ¡ria Caixa Postal 281
(49)221-2208 CEP 88502-970
adilvaz@cav.udesc.br Lages, SC
April 12, 2004 9:21:41 PM

"Adil Vaz" <adilvaz@matrix.com.br> wrote in message
> I am going to visit both countries soon. I would like to buy a laptop to
> bring back with me. Would it be cheaper to buy in Canad or in the USA ?
The
> second, I guess, but would appreciate comments, and suggestions of
computer
> shops in Canada. I will be in Quebec for a week.
> Adil Vaz

That will have more to do with the strength of the Canadian Dollar

compare stuff from these places to get a better idea of pricing difference

www.futureshop.ca
www.bestbuy.com

www.dell.ca
www.dell.com

www.ibm.ca
www.ibm.com

As for where it's best to go... Future Shop (they in all big cities) would
be ok for a laptop
Not familiar with other locations in Quebec to purchase a laptop
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 2:11:30 AM

It actually varies by company and even model.

In particular, one can get very good prices
on second tier or whitebox models made in
Canada, especially if one exports them.

dk

"Mike" <mikeSP@Mpoolsters.on.ca> wrote in message

> "Adil Vaz" <adilvaz@matrix.com.br> wrote in message
> > I am going to visit both countries soon. I would like to buy a laptop to
> > bring back with me. Would it be cheaper to buy in Canad or in the USA ?
> The
> > second, I guess, but would appreciate comments, and suggestions of
> computer
> > shops in Canada. I will be in Quebec for a week.
> > Adil Vaz
> >

> That will have more to do with the strength of the Canadian Dollar
>
> compare stuff from these places to get a better idea of pricing difference
>
> www.futureshop.ca
> www.bestbuy.com
>
> www.dell.ca
> www.dell.com
>
> www.ibm.ca
> www.ibm.com
>
> As for where it's best to go... Future Shop (they in all big cities) would
> be ok for a laptop
> Not familiar with other locations in Quebec to purchase a laptop

Related resources
April 13, 2004 10:03:53 AM

you can also try www.compusmart.com

"Mike" <mikeSP@Mpoolsters.on.ca> wrote in message

> "Adil Vaz" <adilvaz@matrix.com.br> wrote in message
> > I am going to visit both countries soon. I would like to buy a laptop to
> > bring back with me. Would it be cheaper to buy in Canad or in the USA ?
> The
> > second, I guess, but would appreciate comments, and suggestions of
> computer
> > shops in Canada. I will be in Quebec for a week.
> > Adil Vaz
> >

> That will have more to do with the strength of the Canadian Dollar
>
> compare stuff from these places to get a better idea of pricing difference
>
> www.futureshop.ca
> www.bestbuy.com
>
> www.dell.ca
> www.dell.com
>
> www.ibm.ca
> www.ibm.com
>
> As for where it's best to go... Future Shop (they in all big cities) would
> be ok for a laptop
> Not familiar with other locations in Quebec to purchase a laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 1:55:48 PM

In article <c5etoo$n5jo$1@ID-43351.news.uni-berlin.de>,
adilvaz@matrix.com.br says...
> I am going to visit both countries soon. I would like to buy a laptop to
> bring back with me. Would it be cheaper to buy in Canad or in the USA ? The
> second, I guess, but would appreciate comments, and suggestions of computer
> shops in Canada. I will be in Quebec for a week.
> Adil Vaz

If you live in a different country than where the item was sold, you
will likely void the warranty by taking it out of the "sold" country.
April 16, 2004 11:02:11 AM

yes, very good point. some companies (Toshiba, Compaq, IBM, not sure about
Dell) offer international warranties. Usually 1 year for the 'consumer'
models (e.g. Compaq Presario) and 3 year for the 'business' models (e.g.
Compaq Evo). I don't think Sony offer international warranties which is the
reason I for one avoid them like the plague.

Also, often the add-on warranties that you can buy separately (e.g. Compaq
Carepaq) are not international, so you would end up with 1 year
international then an additional 2 years in the sold country.

Store bought warranties (e.g Future Shop, Business Depot) are most likely
for the sold country only, regardless of what the sales person tells you...
read the fine print on these, very carefully.

!