Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How much is enough?

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2011 8:29:49 AM

Well contemplating purchasing a ssd and wondering how muhc data is enough. I want to run my win7 os and all my games and programs off the ssd. I have run a 300gb velocaraptor in the past as my primary drive and had to watch it pretty carefully so I did not fill it up. I would be running a 2tb black and a 1tb black as storage drives.

More about : question

February 7, 2011 9:14:31 AM

How much space do your games and programs take up?
I'd recommend putting your frequently used programs and games on the SSD.
The rest on your HDD. Not much sense in putting a program or game you only use once a week on your SSD.
With that strategy you should be able to use a 60GB/64GB or even less.
m
l
February 7, 2011 9:34:14 AM

WR2 said:
How much space do your games and programs take up?
I'd recommend putting your frequently used programs and games on the SSD.
The rest on your HDD. Not much sense in putting a program or game you only use once a week on your SSD.
With that strategy you should be able to use a 60GB/64GB or even less.

I am not sure I feel comfortable with anything less than a 120 and not sure if I am comfortable with that.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2011 9:44:00 AM

If you're disciplined enough to keep your OS on it only, and transfer games you are currently playing on and off as you need, you can get away with 60GB. Your system points towards you being more of a gamer, but if you're needing to run a lot of apps from it too, you might want to look for larger one. Once you start going beyond the 120GB point... The prices are too much IMHO.
m
l
February 7, 2011 10:14:32 AM

The price on Sandforce SSD are falling like crazy. I got a 120 GB Vertex and I really recommend you getting at least 120GB.

That said, you should put two in Raid 0 for even more performance for the same money if you got the space and the cables necessary.

So 2 60GB Vertex 2 would be my option since they are falling in price and OCZ is really going to end the production soon for newer model.

If you can find a Revo Drive for cheap, even better for you... I think you can boot from it, but I am not sure...

Anyway, two 60GB SSD sad is a good investment and will cost you around 200$ which is affordable.
m
l
February 7, 2011 1:59:17 PM

I can't say I favor the RAID0 SSD option since right now TRIM is not supported.

Storage requirements: there is no 'one-size-fits-all' option and budgets vary.

Someone who know his OS and software well will be comfortable with the smaller SSDs as they can manage what they put on the SSD or HDD.

m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 11, 2011 12:08:53 AM

I would go for the 120 GB SSD for your OS and your most important applications/games, everything else should go on a standard hard drive. I think this is probably the best price/performance setup.

Don't put multiple SSDs in RAID 0 as the lack of TRIM support will degrade performance.
February 11, 2011 1:46:59 PM

LordConrad said:
your OS and your most important applications/games
I've been running a 50GB primary partition on my HDD for years that way. I still have 20GB free.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 11, 2011 7:26:17 PM

WR2 said:
I've been running a 50GB primary partition on my HDD for years that way. I still have 20GB free.

True, it's definitely do-able, but there are other considerations. Larger SSD drives usually have better speeds, and I think 120 GB is a good compromise between price and speed. It all depends on your needs and priorities.
m
l
February 21, 2011 10:51:38 AM

Best answer selected by chef7734.
m
l
!