Does enabling hyperthreading in an OC i7 require extra voltage?

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
For example, I have my Core i7 2600K running @ 4.7 ghz stable at around 1.33v with hyperthreading off. If I enabled HT at times, would that require a voltage boost to be stable or should it be presumed to already be stable at the same vcore?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
As Leaps-from-Shadows said, the only way to find out is to test yourself.

I "assume" it would considering it re-enables parts of the CPU, which in turn would drive power usage up a little bit.

With hyperthreading, each core has double of some of it's resources, when those are enabled I "assume" they use a little more power.

There are likely many instances where the extra 2MB of cache gives a boost but HyperThreading gives a penalty, canceling each other out. Those CPU charts likely didn't have listings for 2600K with HyperThreading disabled.

And in any case, I've seen quite a few overclockers who disable the HyperThreading on their 2600K so they can get higher speeds and/or lower temps.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

What I would be doing is using it with hyperthreading when I need it, but without it when I don't. Alternating at times so to speak. Most of the time I have no need for it, so yes I admit I probably jumped the gun a bit on getting the 2600K over the 2500K