The Mac Mindset: Does Reason apply to them?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
The ONLY reason i have a macbook pro (even though i knew of their overpriced compared to their parts) is simply as an graduation present, and because the college i'm going to apparently requires macs. God knows why...

oh, and not to mention my own family rattling about how they don't get "Viruses" and how you "don't have to download anything" and most douchebaggiest of all, "It is an experience beyond any PC!"

now, i tried to reason with them, like how there is actually viruses, the parts in Macs can be had for cheaper in PCs, and whatnot...

but nooooo... Sometimes i fear that ignorance trumps over reason, and that is a sad day. What the hell? :pfff:

And i'm typing this on my $2000 Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo t9600, nvidia 9600m gt with 512 MB...

That kind of computer can be had for $1300 or less if it were a PC.

and to make sure i'm not an typical Mac idiot, i have my own homebuilt Phenom II 720 system, so i do know a thing or two about what i'm talking about.

:lol: My daughter demanded a Macbook. She got it. And because of it, she took out a loan to pay for her tuition. Specifically. :sol:

Cool dad just bought grad school bound daughter a car. Mom did not 'appreciate' her 'lifestyle' reflected by the macbook demand for starters. So, no checkie paid in full like the prior four years of higher ed. That Macbook was waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced. \,,,/ throwing the horns.

Yep. Make them appreciate what they have and what we do for them. Besides she couldn't rule amongst her friends if she didn't have a great car, 'spensive notebook, designer living quarters and be a grad student. It just wouldn't fit her lifestyle any other way. :pt1cable: ¬_¬ suspiscion and distrust :lol:

daship

Distinguished
Im running OSX and Win 7 both retail on the same machine.

Both are nice.

My opinoin is mac is easier for a noob/ old person.

If you want 1000s of apps and 1000s of harware choices get a PC, apps and compatible hardware is small on mac.

Win 7 and ie 8 feels quite faster then osx and safari.

My mac clone cost less then $400 and it out benches the $1900 imacs.

Apple needs to get a clue and quit gouging. There should be a law against suck markups, hel they dont make the internal parts anyhow. A shiny case isnt worth $1500

Why I hate the Macs:

1. Over priced

2. No upgrade path (desktops)

3. They STOLE (in a sense) most of the core OS stuff from BSD.

4. No OCing and other fun stuff.

5. Most mac users are idiots and think they are "cool" because they have a mac.

6. Give it a few more years, and some really annoyed user is going to write a really destructive virus for Macs.

7. At the end of the day, my i7 OCed can eat the highest end Mac for 1/4 the price.

Yeah, the thing about Bush is he had a lack of blind ambition and as well as a keen sense of rectitude. Take the medical coverage for all issue the Dem's are struggling with.

1. Lower medicare coverage to 55 years which would allow for 10's of millions to have access to gov't sponsered health care.

2. Make medical ins. carriers from all states available, not just the Ins. Co. doing business in your state. Competition for business would lower the cost of medical insurance.

3. Make all medical expenses tax deductible.

Simple. But apparently not to some. \,,/

baumer.jpg

I find it interesting that much of what you tout as being better for Wintel is actually even truer of Linux. You don't need as much hardware so HW costs are lower, and the OS and most software is free, so the software costs are MUCH lower. So (to turn the tables on you a bit), why don't you use Linux? :D

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

WhAT?!?!? Can't you be responsible and teach her? You don't have to get a Mac to be cool, or something like that.

Dammit, what the f*** is it with the Mac thing? Seems they are designed for the idiots, and this is well represented by this fellow called Maddox.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

_W_

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

dunno, i never really bothered with Linux, but whatta know, maybe i'll give it a try on my Phenom II desktop. Which distribution you suggest?

And, to put it this way:

Mac = idiot, ignorant users (most of them, that is.)

Window/Linux = Average to skilled users (there's always a few idiots, but nowhere near as much as Mac)

runswindows95

Distinguished
After reading the service manual for an Imac, and seeing how much a Mac optical drive costs, I will NEVER buy a Mac period. The optical drive was $300, and to install it, you had to remove the LCD panel from the system! I will stick to PC's where it's only $20 for an optical drive, and only takes 5 minutes to replace.

I'm a Windows guy and not really a Linux person myself, although I have dabbled with Fedora. My point was to show that any feeling of superiority you may have over Mac users is merely a relative thing... ;)

Excellent parenting! The lesson, however, is likely unlearned.

I find that people who buy Macs deserve Macs.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I actually like Mac, and would love to own a powermac or macbook, good o/s, fast. HOWEVER, i dont want to generalize, but i hate mac people, they are usually pretentious little shits like the guy on the commercial, and as god as my witness, a person tells you they have a mac, its like they pause for the effect to set in. Coffee house weenie, and clueless allegedly enlightened people,lol

One main difference though is that windows users don't have a smug sense of superiority over linux users.

As for macs? I like some of their designs - the Macbook Pro 17" is close to my ideal notebook if they changed a couple of things:
1) Offer it OSless. I'll install windows on my own, TYVM
2) Ditch the glowing apple. I don't want to be associated with the smug asses who tend to be mac owners
3) Make it black. Or dark grey. Or similar.
4) Charge what it's actually worth.

If they did that, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. As is though? Hell no, and one of the largest reason is the group smugness involved with anything apple. I really don't want to be any part of that.