Do i need an Access Point?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i just upgraded my network with a linksys wireless - G router. the signal doesnt quite make it out to where i had hoped b/c its behind a stone wall. if i buy the llinksys wireless g access point, will i be all set? there is a window 30 feet away from the router. do i need to plug the access point into anything other than a wall outlet? will it automatically detect and boost the current signal?

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
A Wall outlet? Unless you want it to repeat, and it sounds like that is what your looking for, you'll need to run an ethernet cable to the AP. If the AP your looking at has a repeater function then you can go that route. Since they're both Linksys devices you should be ok. Repeating does not have to meet any compatibility standard so stay with gear from the same company. You'd have to configure the AP to repeat, making sure the SSID matches the parent AP, and if your using MAC filtering or any other security measure you'd have to configure that on the repeater. Repeating will cut your available bandwidth in half right off the top, and it's simply not a good solution for extending range, save it being your only option. Running cat 5 to the additional AP is the better solution to extending your coverage under most circumstances.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
they are both linksys. i didnt know my bandwidth would be cut in half. i suppose it will be worth the effort to run a cat 5 line over there. do i run it right from the other router?

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Switch port on the LAN side of the router---cat5 or 5e cable to ethernet port on the AP. You can segment the WLAN by using a different SSID on the AP or keep it the same. Depends on how you want to set it up. Use non overlapping channels. They are 1,6 and 11 so if your router/AP combo is on channel 6, use 1 or 11 for the AP etc..

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

Latest posts