The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.

Shining_Lizard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 RAM
1TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

My first post here on Tom's Hardware forums enquired about problems that I've had with my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and frequent crashes with 3D games, and 3D applications for that matter. It's extended now to happening randomly even on my desktop- just like in games, it hangs, plays the last sound byte in a continuous distorted buzz, and is completely unlock-able without simply powering the machine off via the button. Not only that, but I've had three random BSODs whereby I've not been able to get the crash dump ID quick enough because of how fast it happens.

The only piece of info I can garner as to why this might be happening is from the Event Viewer:

Event ID 500

"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

Event ID 500

Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded."

Event ID 500

Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded."

Event ID 501

Reason : CPU resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed."

Event ID 501

Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed."

I've done everything I can think of to stop this:

- Updating graphics drivers;
- Cleaning the registry;
- Disabling Aero (even in the Windows Classic theme it crashes);
- Removing COMODO Anti-virus in fear that it may be preventing my system access resources;
- Toggled NVIDIA settings;
- Simply not running games or ANYTHING 3D;

Any none of them work.

Since last reboot I've increased the page file size- it was only something like 4095MB for some reason, even though it should be more like 6000+ (since I have 4GB RAM), and so far it hasn't crashed. However I fear it'll probably just crash again anyway.

Update: Yeah, it just crashed again.

The only thing I haven't tried is a clean installation of Windows 7, but that involves the pain of calling up Microsoft to get my product key deactivated so I can use it again. I really hope someone can help me and I'd be very greatful- I'm at my wit's end right now :p

thephilly

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Are you generating minidump files? Check %SystemRoot%\Minidump

You can disable auto restart by right clicking "Computer" > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery 'Settings'

You will also find settings here for creating a minidump. This should give you a better idea of what is causing the issue.

Shining_Lizard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Looks like I'm not generating minidumps, because that folder isn't even in my SystemRoot area.

And about auto-restart... it doesn't auto-restart, it just hangs/crashes, and I have to turn it off by the power button and then back on again.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Are all your components seated properly?

Do you have latest drivers for gpu and chipset?

Have you tried checking the hard drive for bad sectors?
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Have checked the memory, if it's got bad block? You can use windows build in memory checker, do select extended mode. From the start menu, type Windows memory into search box, to run it. Or you can use Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Do you have any pci cards connected to the mainboard, if yes try to put in different slot.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I'd suggest that you first check your temperatures (CPU mainly). The run some memory tests. To me it sounds like memory problems. Is the computer new? or did it work fine before windows 7?

Does it slow your computer down and then crash or does it happen instantly? Usually crashes from software would cause a bsod while most hardware crashes would not.

rIcHrD

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Sorry to tell you this, but a blue screen of death with a good device and functional drivers is very unlikely. Microsoft tend to play it safe with the WHQL drivers included with Windows. It is highly unlikely to be a driver issue in your case. The device at fault may either by your graphics card, or more likely your motherboard. The true test would be removal and exchange of the faulty components, but this is usually lengthy and unrewarding.

Downloading new drivers is unlikely to solve your problem unless there was an error with a revision of your graphics card or motherboard, which was addressed later. I suggest you source alternative cards and if that fails, replace the motherboard. I've been down your road many a time only to eventually realise my motherboard was the cause of the troubles and this was itself secondary to a poorly functioning power supply (which by that point had caused irreversible damage to the mainboard.

Good luck.

Shining_Lizard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Well, I've tried everything suggested here- memory tests show no errors and the temperature of my CPU/GPU is fine. I've installed and un-installed drivers time and time again and have even done a clean installation of Windows 7, but nothing seems to fix it.

I'm most definitely going to send the machine back to Novatech (where I got it from, my PC is This One), because there must be some sort of hardware malfunction, as rIcHrD suggests.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Mord_78

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Same here Mr Mackey, this seems to be a dead thread but please reply if you find an answer. I just replaced my hdd with a ssd but the problem remains. I'm going to run memtest after the 141 Windows updates complete. Best of luck!

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
same issues here i get error number 500 and cant figure it out ive read somewhere that ur gpu pages ur physical ram im guessing if you dont have enough ram it might cause this issue other say vram might be getting used up i have a 2gb gpu and the most iver ever seen it his has been 1000mb