installing XP Pro on Presario r3000 -- NIGHTMARE

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 5:51:33 PM

Has anybody else attempted this? I'm installing a (legal) copy of XP
Proffesional, MSDN version. My problems are related to Windows
Updating failing, MSN Messenger being basically unuseable, and similar
annoyances. Before I spend a few hours of my life getting the
run-around from their tech support, I was hoping someone (ANYONE) out
there might be able to offer some suggestions.

Thanks a million in advance;
Duncan

PS -- email sent to this address is auto-deleted. Please respond only
to the group. Thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 5:53:03 AM

Did you do a full install, or
just an upgrade on top of XP
Home?

dk

"Duncan A. McRae" <google.com@mcrae.ca> wrote in message
> Has anybody else attempted this? I'm installing a (legal) copy of XP
> Proffesional, MSDN version. My problems are related to Windows
> Updating failing, MSN Messenger being basically unuseable, and similar
> annoyances. Before I spend a few hours of my life getting the
> run-around from their tech support, I was hoping someone (ANYONE) out
> there might be able to offer some suggestions.
>
> Thanks a million in advance;
> Duncan
>
> PS -- email sent to this address is auto-deleted. Please respond only
> to the group. Thanks!
April 13, 2004 10:33:07 AM

you are going to need all device drivers like video, audio, modem for xp.
xp may or may not contain what you need.

"Duncan A. McRae" <google.com@mcrae.ca> wrote in message
> Has anybody else attempted this? I'm installing a (legal) copy of XP
> Proffesional, MSDN version. My problems are related to Windows
> Updating failing, MSN Messenger being basically unuseable, and similar
> annoyances. Before I spend a few hours of my life getting the
> run-around from their tech support, I was hoping someone (ANYONE) out
> there might be able to offer some suggestions.
>
> Thanks a million in advance;
> Duncan
>
> PS -- email sent to this address is auto-deleted. Please respond only
> to the group. Thanks!
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 2:19:27 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I discovered that the problem was the
version of XP I had used. I used the checked/debugged build, and
Update refuses to work on that version. I figured I could save myself
a reboot or two.

!