Desktop folder wont change from read only

I need to install a program that requires access to the
desktop folder. However it is set at read only, and
everything I've tried hasn't worked.

I've tried:
Changing the attrib directly - it just changes back !
The attrib -r command line made to differance
Even booted into safe mode then the above aptempts still
did nothing

How can I change this folder off of "read only"???

Please, Please help
10 answers Last reply
More about desktop folder wont change read only

    What's a desktop folder? There is at least three things it could be. How do you know it's read only? Did you type attrib without switches?

    My desktop personal storage folder takes changes.
    http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
    "David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2057801c4591e$a1bfa980$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > I need to install a program that requires access to the
    > desktop folder. However it is set at read only, and
    > everything I've tried hasn't worked.
    >
    > I've tried:
    > Changing the attrib directly - it just changes back !
    > The attrib -r command line made to differance
    > Even booted into safe mode then the above aptempts still
    > did nothing
    >
    > How can I change this folder off of "read only"???
    >
    > Please, Please help

    David,

    Sorry, its the first time i've posted a question and
    didn't know if I should reply via e-mail or a reply post.
    :-)
    Many thanks for the reply.

    The folder in question is the main desktop folder
    located : C:\Documents and Settings\*End User*\Desktop

    By right clicking on it the attributes at the bottom
    show a tick in the Read Only box. You can un-tick it then
    Ok, but try again it just comes back, and wont allow the
    program to install..

    This is On XP Pro, and does the same on three other
    (Different makes) XP Pc'c

    As far as the switches, followed Microsoft's instructions.
    Thanks

    David

    What's a desktop folder? There is at least three things
    it could be. How do you know it's read only? Did you type
    attrib without switches?

    My desktop personal storage folder takes changes.

    I told you to type it without switches to prove something to you. So try it. The GUI doesn't tell you the status. It is showing indeterminate.

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20b3a01c45936$413cb4a0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
    > David,
    >
    > Sorry, its the first time i've posted a question and
    > didn't know if I should reply via e-mail or a reply post.
    > :-)
    > Many thanks for the reply.
    >
    > The folder in question is the main desktop folder
    > located : C:\Documents and Settings\*End User*\Desktop
    >
    > By right clicking on it the attributes at the bottom
    > show a tick in the Read Only box. You can un-tick it then
    > Ok, but try again it just comes back, and wont allow the
    > program to install..
    >
    > This is On XP Pro, and does the same on three other
    > (Different makes) XP Pc'c
    >
    > As far as the switches, followed Microsoft's instructions.
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    Ok, I think I've got you,
    I typed attrib desktop, and it gave me:
    R C:\Documents and settings\end user\desktop

    What next? what are you wanting to prove to me?

    Thanks for your patience with me...

    David H

    Attrib is the only way to tell.

    Windows doesn't set the read only attribute back. Get filemon from www.sysinternals.com. Put a filter string (see Edit menu) of desktop. Use Attrib to remove RO. Post the part of the log where it's removed and where it changes back.

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2129001c459f1$e0bc6550$a001280a@phx.gbl...
    > Ok, I think I've got you,
    > I typed attrib desktop, and it gave me:
    > R C:\Documents and settings\end user\desktop
    >
    > What next? what are you wanting to prove to me?
    >
    > Thanks for your patience with me...
    >
    > David H

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    David,

    I hope this is correct...

    1727 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 DIRECTORY
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
    FileBothDirectoryInformation: desktop
    1728 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    1729 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 SET INFORMATION
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
    1730 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    That's attrib changing it. Now you need the one where it gets changed back? Just leave filemon running till it changes back.

    "David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20cf801c45a05$7bbac2f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > David,
    >
    > I hope this is correct...
    >

    > 1727 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 DIRECTORY
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
    > FileBothDirectoryInformation: desktop
    > 1728 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 OPEN
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    > SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    > 1729 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 SET INFORMATION
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    > SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
    > 1730 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 CLOSE
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    > SUCCESS

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Next log:-

    1 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 DIRECTORY
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
    FileBothDirectoryInformation: Desktop
    2 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    3 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    4 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    5 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    6 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    7 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Options: Open
    Access: All
    8 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 LOCK
    C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Excl: No Offset:
    0 Length: -1
    9 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Length: 80
    10 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 READ
    C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length:
    80
    11 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 UNLOCK
    C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\desktop.ini RANGE NOT LOCKED
    Offset: 0 Length: -1
    12 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS
    13 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    14 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 DIRECTORY
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
    FileBothDirectoryInformation: Desktop
    15 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    IS DIRECTORY Options: Open Access: All
    16 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    17 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    SUCCESS
    18 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    19 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS
    20 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    21 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS
    22 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    23 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    SUCCESS
    24 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
    25 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    26 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    SUCCESS
    27 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    28 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
    User\Desktop.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error

    29 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    SUCCESS Attributes: D
    30 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    IS DIRECTORY Options: Open Access: All

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    There is nothing there changing the attributes. When does it change back? Has it changed back (only attrib without switches will tell you)?

    The application compat toolkit on the CDRom (at least for Pro) will allow you to set a compat mode for your program (or perhaps the setup program) that pretends (to those Query Information) that nothing has read only on it.
    "David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2123101c45a8e$559524b0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > SUCCESS
    > 24 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    > SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
    > 25 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    > INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
    > User\Desktop\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    > 26 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
    > SUCCESS
    > 27 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    > INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    > SUCCESS Attributes: D
    > 28 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    > INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
    > User\Desktop.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
    >
    > 29 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
    > INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
    > SUCCESS Attributes: D
    > 30 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
    > C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Attrib shows that it hasn't changed, however my client
    program still tells me that I dont have permission to the
    file....

    However!!!, after again speaking (6 or 7th time)to the
    programs help desk, they now tell me that they are re-
    writting the program to "Sort out some compattabilty
    issues" and they will send me the new version by the end
    of next week.

    Therefore I wont bother you any further....

    Many, many thanks for your help.
    Kind regards

    David H

Configuration Read Only Desktops Windows XP