Desktop folder wont change from read only

I need to install a program that requires access to the
desktop folder. However it is set at read only, and
everything I've tried hasn't worked.

I've tried:
Changing the attrib directly - it just changes back !
The attrib -r command line made to differance
Even booted into safe mode then the above aptempts still
did nothing

How can I change this folder off of "read only"???

Please, Please help

What's a desktop folder? There is at least three things it could be. How do you know it's read only? Did you type attrib without switches?

My desktop personal storage folder takes changes.
http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
"David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2057801c4591e$a1bfa980$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> I need to install a program that requires access to the
> desktop folder. However it is set at read only, and
> everything I've tried hasn't worked.
>
> I've tried:
> Changing the attrib directly - it just changes back !
> The attrib -r command line made to differance
> Even booted into safe mode then the above aptempts still
> did nothing
>
> How can I change this folder off of "read only"???
>
> Please, Please help

David,

Sorry, its the first time i've posted a question and
didn't know if I should reply via e-mail or a reply post.
:)
Many thanks for the reply.

The folder in question is the main desktop folder
located : C:\Documents and Settings\*End User*\Desktop

By right clicking on it the attributes at the bottom
show a tick in the Read Only box. You can un-tick it then
Ok, but try again it just comes back, and wont allow the
program to install..

This is On XP Pro, and does the same on three other
(Different makes) XP Pc'c

As far as the switches, followed Microsoft's instructions.
Thanks

David

-
>http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>"David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2057801c4591e$a1bfa980$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> I need to install a program that requires access to
the
>> desktop folder. However it is set at read only, and
>> everything I've tried hasn't worked.
>>
>> I've tried:
>> Changing the attrib directly - it just changes back !
>> The attrib -r command line made to differance
>> Even booted into safe mode then the above aptempts
still
>> did nothing
>>
>> How can I change this folder off of "read only"???
>>
>> Please, Please help
>.

I told you to type it without switches to prove something to you. So try it. The GUI doesn't tell you the status. It is showing indeterminate.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20b3a01c45936$413cb4a0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> David,
>
> Sorry, its the first time i've posted a question and
> didn't know if I should reply via e-mail or a reply post.
> :)
> Many thanks for the reply.
>
> The folder in question is the main desktop folder
> located : C:\Documents and Settings\*End User*\Desktop
>
> By right clicking on it the attributes at the bottom
> show a tick in the Read Only box. You can un-tick it then
> Ok, but try again it just comes back, and wont allow the
> program to install..
>
> This is On XP Pro, and does the same on three other
> (Different makes) XP Pc'c
>
> As far as the switches, followed Microsoft's instructions.
> Thanks
>
> David

Ok, I think I've got you,
I typed attrib desktop, and it gave me:
R C:\Documents and settings\end user\desktop

What next? what are you wanting to prove to me?

Thanks for your patience with me...

David H

-
>http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>> David,
>>
>> Sorry, its the first time i've posted a question and
>> didn't know if I should reply via e-mail or a reply
post.
>> :)
>> Many thanks for the reply.
>>
>> The folder in question is the main desktop folder
>> located : C:\Documents and Settings\*End User*\Desktop
>>
>> By right clicking on it the attributes at the bottom
>> show a tick in the Read Only box. You can un-tick it
then
>> Ok, but try again it just comes back, and wont allow
the
>> program to install..
>>
>> This is On XP Pro, and does the same on three other
>> (Different makes) XP Pc'c
>>
>> As far as the switches, followed Microsoft's
instructions.
>> Thanks
>>
>> David

---
>> -
>> >http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>> >"David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
>> message news:2057801c4591e$a1bfa980$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> the

back !
>> still

>> >.
>> >
>.

Attrib is the only way to tell.

Windows doesn't set the read only attribute back. Get filemon from www.sysinternals.com. Put a filter string (see Edit menu) of desktop. Use Attrib to remove RO. Post the part of the log where it's removed and where it changes back.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2129001c459f1$e0bc6550$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> Ok, I think I've got you,
> I typed attrib desktop, and it gave me:
> R C:\Documents and settings\end user\desktop
>
> What next? what are you wanting to prove to me?
>
> Thanks for your patience with me...
>
> David H

David,

I hope this is correct...

1727 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 DIRECTORY
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation: desktop
1728 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
1729 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 SET INFORMATION
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
1730 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS

-
>http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>> Ok, I think I've got you,
>> I typed attrib desktop, and it gave me:
>> R C:\Documents and settings\end user\desktop
>>
>> What next? what are you wanting to prove to me?
>>
>> Thanks for your patience with me...
>>
>> David H

---
>> -
>> >http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>> ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

and
>> post.

User*\Desktop

bottom
it
>> then
allow
>> the

>> instructions.

---
>> ---
wrote
>> in
$a401280a@phx.gbl...
and

>> back !
aptempts

only"???

>> >.
>> >
>.

That's attrib changing it. Now you need the one where it gets changed back? Just leave filemon running till it changes back.

"David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20cf801c45a05$7bbac2f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> David,
>
> I hope this is correct...
>

> 1727 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 DIRECTORY
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
> FileBothDirectoryInformation: desktop
> 1728 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 OPEN
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
> SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
> 1729 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 SET INFORMATION
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
> SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
> 1730 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 CLOSE
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
> SUCCESS

Next log:-

1 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 DIRECTORY
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation: Desktop
2 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
3 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
4 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
5 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
6 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
7 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Options: Open
Access: All
8 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 LOCK
C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Excl: No Offset:
0 Length: -1
9 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Length: 80
10 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 READ
C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length:
80
11 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 UNLOCK
C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\desktop.ini RANGE NOT LOCKED
Offset: 0 Length: -1
12 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\desktop.ini SUCCESS
13 09:25:41 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
14 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 DIRECTORY
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation: Desktop
15 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
IS DIRECTORY Options: Open Access: All
16 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
17 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
SUCCESS
18 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
19 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS
20 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
21 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS
22 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
23 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
SUCCESS
24 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
25 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
26 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
SUCCESS
27 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
28 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
User\Desktop.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error

29 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
SUCCESS Attributes: D
30 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN

-
>http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>"David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:20cf801c45a05$7bbac2f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> David,
>>
>> I hope this is correct...
>>

>> 1727 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 DIRECTORY
>> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\ SUCCESS
>> FileBothDirectoryInformation: desktop
>> 1728 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 OPEN
>> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
>> SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
>> 1729 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 SET INFORMATION
>> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
>> SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
>> 1730 17:08:20 attrib.exe:340 CLOSE
>> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
>> SUCCESS

---
>> -
>> >http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
>> ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

---
>> ---
>> message

>> and
reply

folder
>> User*\Desktop

>> bottom
tick
>> it
>> allow

other

---
>> ---
>> wrote
>> $a401280a@phx.gbl...
access
only,
>> and

changes
>> aptempts

>> only"???

>> >.
>> >
>.

There is nothing there changing the attributes. When does it change back? Has it changed back (only attrib without switches will tell you)?

The application compat toolkit on the CDRom (at least for Pro) will allow you to set a compat mode for your program (or perhaps the setup program) that pretends (to those Query Information) that nothing has read only on it.
"David H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2123101c45a8e$559524b0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> [...]
> SUCCESS
> 24 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
> SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
> 25 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
> INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
> User\Desktop\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
> 26 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 CLOSE
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop\
> SUCCESS
> 27 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
> INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
> SUCCESS Attributes: D
> 28 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
> INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End
> User\Desktop.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
>
> 29 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 QUERY
> INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop
> SUCCESS Attributes: D
> 30 09:25:43 explorer.exe:1176 OPEN
> C:\Documents and Settings\End User\Desktop

Attrib shows that it hasn't changed, however my client
program still tells me that I dont have permission to the
file....

However!!!, after again speaking (6 or 7th time)to the
programs help desk, they now tell me that they are re-
writting the program to "Sort out some compattabilty
issues" and they will send me the new version by the end
of next week.

Therefore I wont bother you any further....

Many, many thanks for your help.
Kind regards

David H