Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 load temps

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2009 8:45:53 PM

I just finished my new build and booted it up just to check temps and things before I install the OS. BIOS tell me that my i7 920, after me sitting here for 10-15 minutes, has run from 40c up to now 49c. I'm not sure if it will continue to rise, but it has been steady, dropping to 48.5 and back up to 49. This seems a little high. The BIOS report a CPU Voltage of 1.152v. CPU fan at 1300-1400 RPMs. I am using a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler on an Asus P6T SE motherboard. The motherboard is at 42c. Probably quite high right?

It could be possible that I overkilled on the thermal paste. Mounting this Heatsink was a serious pain though, so this has me down since I might have to do it again hah=\. I did google i7 temps but I don't know what to trust for a normal temp. People claming to be running 20c-30c on stock coolers seems way too good.

More about : 920 load temps

September 6, 2009 9:09:23 PM

it does sound like you are a little high...those are slightly higher than my OC idle temps. The problem is that temps readings from the MB can be highly inaccurate. I would go ahead and load your OS, download coretemp, and see what you get then. Even if you have to reseat the cooler it won't hurt anything to go ahead and load the OS. When it comes to peoples claims on idle temps, either those people are not getting accurate readings or they are lying. People claim temps that are below normal ambient, so unless they are using the computer in a freezer they would have sweat issues and short out the MBs at those crazy low temps they claim. Keep in mind 30c is only 86F.
September 7, 2009 2:25:50 AM

Windows 7 all installed, here's what I'm getting. The same readings it seems. Not too sure when it hit those high temps. Time to reapply thermal paste and remount the heatsink?

the high temps now read as 60, 64, 59, 62
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2009 2:56:10 AM

It's a bit high, yes. What are your load temps (Prime95 or similar)? If they go above ~70-75C, something is wrong.

Oh, and for reference, I idle at ~38C on stock clocks on a TRUE.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2009 4:57:38 AM

snackrifice said:
Not too sure when it hit those high temps. Time to reapply thermal paste and remount the heatsink? The high temps now read as 60, 64, 59, 62
The cores heat up very fast when the CPU crunches through a burst of work. I wouldn't worry about those temperatures, the real test is when you run an extended load like Prime95 for several hours. If your core temperatures stay below 70C or so you should be fine. Intel's design maximum is about 69C as measured at the CPU case, which is normally about 5C cooler than the cores.
September 7, 2009 5:20:35 AM

I am unfamiliar with Prime95, and to be honest it scares the piss out of me with these idle temps! It is still going at 47c roughly, just chatting online and browing the web.
September 7, 2009 6:20:52 AM

79, 86, 78, 87 are the high temps after playing 5 minutes of a game, a 5 year old game at that. Probably not safe to be pushing it there...
September 7, 2009 6:27:18 AM

it's time to remount the cpu cooler, I think.
I've got a 920 C0 stepping at 4GHz, and to get there I had to apply a bunch of vcore. With a lapped TRUE I idle around 50C and at full load it never tops 72ish. The tjmax on the core die is 100C for the bloomfield core, but the worst that could happen is the cpu scaling itself down to avoid overheating/melting down. So you really can't damage it (unless you run it this hot for a very long time), but you can really hurt performance.

With thermal paste less is more, and make sure to apply a good deal of pressure between the cpu cooler and the heat spreader. This will maximize heat transfer.
September 7, 2009 6:43:59 AM

I just realized that I had 3 exhaust fans all which sit very close to the heatsink, below half speed. I bumped them up to full and I'm idling at 45c now, possibly still dropping. Which is only 1c higher than what the lowest logged temp has been. It would be nice if this was a big solution, but I doubt it. There is the possibility that not enough air is being pushed into the case, but I guess the fan on the heatsink would take care of that.
September 7, 2009 10:11:59 AM

Get Real Temp it is a temperature monitoring program designed for all Intel single Core, Dual Core, Quad Core and Core i7 processors. :) 
September 7, 2009 6:00:23 PM

This is probably the third thread with the same "problem" I read here in tom's forum (I started one of those :p ) but it seems that 45-50°C is not that rare idle temp for a Core i7, actually mine is 45 and a friend of mine is just about the same (although we live in a desert :p ).
I say "problem" because maybe we have to learn to live with 20-30°C above ambient... maybe...
September 7, 2009 7:17:47 PM

core temps of up to 87c seems pretty high for a 5 year old game still... =\
September 7, 2009 11:04:30 PM

Okay I reapplied thermal paste and reseated the heatsink. Temps have gone from 41c at initial start to now 42-44c after 5 minutes. If it made a difference, it's not drastic. So unless the heatsink sucks, or the thermal paste Scythe gave me sucks, then everything is good there. It would have to be an airflow or voltage thing I suppose?

edit: pretty sure there's no difference at all. Going at 45 and still climbing. I'll see what happens with a game now.

Hit highs of 69, 73, 65, 72 from 10 minutes of Counter Strike: Source. Temps were hovering close to 50 during game play, I'm sure those highs were on loads.
September 10, 2009 5:52:36 PM

If you have room try putting another fan on the other side of your heatsink, moving air in the same direction. It could be your fan is just not giving you the airflow you need for your case. Another way to test the airflow in your case is to run it with the side off, if you see significant decrease in temps you need to work on your case airflow.
September 10, 2009 6:30:20 PM

I was worried about this at first. The only air coming in from outside the case is from a bottom mounted fan. The bottom of the case is for all intensive purposes, cut off by the enormous 260GTX. This would mean that maybe I need a fan on the upper half of the case pushing outside air in. The heatsink is too large for a chasis mounted fan. This leaves me with changing one of the top two blowing out, to in.

Or maybe I just need to find a better way to bundle the wires. They're not bad, but in reality if they were blocking air from gtting to anything, it would be the graphics card.

I'll find some way to rig up my spare fan to the opposite side of the heatsink. If it works, I'll buy another one meant for it.
September 16, 2009 3:01:03 AM

I'm also having the same problem with the i7 920. I'm running on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 at stock voltage with a Noctua heat sink. Just a week ago my system was running around 30C idle and up into the 60's during prime95. I just installed a new HDD and re-installed OS and now temps are idle at 50C. I reset the heat sink, also reapplying AS5 and temps are still at 50C. I made sure the new HDD wasn't impeding airflow. Wondering if it is the new OS, but doesn't make sense as BIOS is also showing temps of around 50C. Maybe update the BIOS? Not sure what to do. Any other suggestions?
November 23, 2009 2:01:40 PM

That is very high indeed. I have an i7 920 with stock heatsink on an Asus P6T Deluxe mobo. I have good airflow in my xclio windtunnel case, but to top it all off I have my i7 920 OCed to 3.022 by increasing the BCLK to 144 and lowering the voltage to 1.18something... Using real temp I show Idle temps of
34-37 depending on the core, in a room that is about 25degrees. But I can run Prime95 torture test for a few hours and it will stay around 70-74 depending on the core, with the max reaching 77 during the odd spike in temp. Make sure you have GOOD airflow, I was able to knock a few degrees off just by renegotiating my wires inside the case. ALSO KEEP IT CLEAN! I clean my heatsink and fans every 3 days, after that there is enough dust to affect temperatures. I left it for 2 weeks once and it got so dusty on the heatsink that I would over heat in prime95 and idle at 50 degrees.
November 23, 2009 2:33:28 PM

Actually, I am with an i7 920 stepping C0, and my Temps are 50-55 in idle and 85-90 after 10min full charge with no OC and 100º after 30 min full charge no OC and the stock heatsink in a server case so I think your temps are correct... But, as I said, mine is a stepping C0
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 9:47:46 PM

I've been reading this thread with interest and unless I've missed something there is a rather pertinent detail of hardware configuration being overlooked.

That being what are you using as a graphics card whilst taking the temp readings?

To give an example just last evening I upgraded my graphics card and what happened to my temps was a real eye opener.

I have two identical PC's meaning same case, memory, motherboard, optical drives, hard drive, heatsink/fan, graphics card, as well as overall fan count and placement.

Each box has an i7 920 D0 stepping CPU and is OC'd to 3.6Ghz.

The only difference between the two boxes is that in one I have a BFG 550W PSU and in the other a Zalman 850W PSU and I only have to touch the top of the case to know the larger PSU generates more heat than the smaller one even if they are running the same peripherals.

That said on PC 1 my idle temps (OC'd) are 43C-41C-44C-39C with 100% CPU load temps reading 70C-70C-71C-67C and the 9800GT under full load reading 65C

PC 2 is the one with the larger PSU and I attribute the slightly higher temps to the fact that it runs a bit warmer.

PC2 idle readings are 48C-41C-44C-42C with 100% CPU load readings at 76C-71C-72C-69C and 9800GT fully loaded running at 65C.

Where it got interesting is last night I decided to try a graphics card upgrade in PC2 so I installed a Radeon HD 4890.

The end result was that suddenly with no other changes whatsoever to the PC my idle temps rose 12C across the cores and load temps did the same so suddenly I was looking at 88C on the warmest core.

My point being that I think some tend to perhaps overlook the major amounts of heat that are generated by these newer generation high end graphics cards and if you know you plan on going with one then perhaps a careful consideration of case size and venting becomes a necessity.

I am an avid distributed computing cruncher so my hardware runs under full load all the time and the temp increases I got with that card were simply unacceptable so I've decided to stay with the 9800GT.

If you have an i7 that you feel is running a tad warm it might be prudent to take into consideration everything you are running inside your PC case before assuming the CPU is faulty or the heatsink isn't seated correctly.
!