Sign in with
Your question

CPU Overheating with fan running at full speed

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2009 10:48:49 PM

I'm having a strange issue.

The CPU (Dual-core) is overheating and the computer shuts itself off. However, the fan is running at full speed.

I verified this both using a motherboard monitor and by running the machine with the case off.

It came sort of out of the blue and has me baffled. The only thing that has changed recently is a hard drive replacement, as well as an additional hard drive installed (for backup), however it ran fine for about two weeks after the replacement and for another after the additional hard drive was put in. Power was planned for well in advance, there's plenty to spare and there are plenty of fans, all of which are functioning.

One thought I had, was that the sensor was malfunctioning, I've checked temperature from both the BIOS and from a motherboard monitoring tool that came with the mobo. It says the CPU is running at 180 Fahrenheit (approximately) at a peak. The mobo is running at the same temperature as always.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

If it was the sensor, I have no clue what to do, or where it is.
September 6, 2009 11:03:28 PM

what cpu do you have? mobo? give us some specs please
September 6, 2009 11:08:53 PM

Mobo is an ASUS P5K.

CPU is an Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E7300
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2009 11:30:35 PM

Let's see . . . 180F is . . . let me see . . . 2 carry the 3 . . . uhmmm . . . 82C. Yes, that's warm, but not fatal. (Please report temps in Celsius - its the reference we all use, even here in the US.)

It would be extremely rare for a processor to shut down without really getting hot. So first we want to look elsewhere.

Are you using the stock cooler?

Did you tip the case? Maybe all four pins were never really IN, and a tip/bang jarred a corner of the cooler loose. Test by trying to "torque" the heatsink/fan assembly. Does it move at all? If so, remove the mobo and make certain all four push pins are fully thorugh the mobo and are forcing each of their split pins to grab the back of the mobo.

[Less desirable, you can press down a bit on the heatsink/fan while its running and see if cooler temps begin to prevail.]

If not using the stock cooler, did you remove the fan for cleaning and re-install it backwards?

Download RealTemp, CoreTemp, or CPUID Hardware Monitor for temperature tracking.
September 7, 2009 12:21:12 AM

Sorry about that, I'm Canadian actually, so I would have given you Celsius, but I thought you'd prefer Fahrenheit.

I'm using the stock cooler yes.

The case has been tipped recently yes.

I think you are on to something. I think it might be the pins because I recall it being a pain to get them in to begin with and one not quite wanting to lock in so easy.

I'll have to double check that and then go from there.

I did check it before, but it might have come out when I put it back upright.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2009 12:29:42 AM

templetonpeck said:
Sorry about that, I'm Canadian actually, so I would have given you Celsius, but I thought you'd prefer Fahrenheit.
Thanks for being so thoughtful, and for taking a gentle poke in stride.

I hope its the heat sink . . . there's really not a lot of things that can cause a cool cpu to suddenly get hot.

Let us know.
September 7, 2009 2:32:41 AM

OK, so it looks like one of them was out.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me get it back in!

I ended up undoing all of them and they all popped up. Now I can't get any of them back in.

When you turn each one, is the bottom (the part with the clip I'd guess you call it) supposed to turn with it, or is the top independent from the bottom? The bottom doesn't seem to be moving when I turn them.

I put it so the thin edge/notch is outwards like it says too, but they won't for the life of me go back in.

I've read that this system is a pain and have experienced it before (what I wouldn't give for some screws) I'm just wondering if there is a better way, rather than exerting so much force I break my damn mobo.
a c 117 à CPUs
September 7, 2009 3:07:26 AM

Did you read the mounting instructions? They are relatively easy to reinstall once you are familiar with them. It's easier if you get the white part in before applying pressure on the lock.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2009 3:10:43 AM

Well, we found the problem at least lol.

Let's look at one "pin", one corner of the heatsink.

The push button on the top side forces a (black) pin down. When it is fully down, it forces two (white) half-pins outward. These two half-pins have little "hooks" on them that grip the back of the mobo, and prevent the heat sink from being pulled out. To install, you need to get the white pins behind the mobo, then press the black pin down to force them apart.

So the trick now is to raise each black pin UP by rotating/pulling up on the round plate on top (I forget which way lol, its marked with arrows). That will allow the two white half-pins to come back together so you can insert them into the holes. You may have bent the half-pins, squeeze them together so they will fit into the holes in the mobo.

Once each black pin is raised, and each two half-pins will fit in the mobo holes, re-install the heatsink. Make sure you watch the back of the mobo as you insert each leg - that way you will know when the white pins are grabbing the mobo.

(Yes, you must remove the mobo from the case.)
a c 117 à CPUs
September 7, 2009 3:16:02 AM

You can definitely do it without removing the motherboard, but it's easier if you remove it. Once a pin is locked, pull on it to make sure that it won't come out.
September 7, 2009 3:39:16 AM

From what I can see, it doesn't seem to be squeezing together (the white pins) at all when I turn it.

edit: I turn it the direction that the mobo instructions state, but I don't see anything happening. I have the arrow/notch lined up as it says to.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2009 3:49:37 AM

As long as the black pin is not down between the two white pins, you should be able to insert them into the holes.
September 7, 2009 3:53:19 AM

Aha! That's it! A picture is worth a thousand words, that link showed me the issue.

It doesn't seem to be retracting the black pin. the black pin is down in between the white.

Edit: I know TwoBoxer described it in words, but my brain has turned a bit to mush by now because of the time it is.

I appreciate both of you guys helping me out here.
a c 117 à CPUs
September 7, 2009 3:59:28 AM

Turn them to the unlocked position and then pull on them.
September 7, 2009 4:41:06 AM

Fixed! CPU temperature is now back into the 20's (Celsius).

I really appreciate the help from both of you. It's been a bit of an off day for me and it seems I've been struggling with stuff that should have been fairly easy.

I had another question maybe you can help me with. Another problem really just sprung up (not my day).

I have the ASUS mobo PC Probe software installed (so I can track the temperature, voltage, etc.)

It now gave me a different warning, saying the power supply fan is only doing 41 RPM. I felt the back, doesn't seem to be pushing that much air, but it's pushing it to the point I can feel it.

Could the fan on it be dieing (coincidence with the timing)? Some other issue?

edit: Now that I feel it again, it does seem to be pushing about as much as the Case fan right below it. So why only 41 RPM + the warning?

Is it because it can't be accurately monitored, but then I would figure it should say N/A or something for the speed.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2009 4:54:51 AM

Remove/Replace the case fan connector. Check for pinching or damage to the wires.

Correlate the fan speed reading with CPUID Hardware Monitor.
!