Problems upgrading Toshiba Tecra

uzplayer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Just for the heck of it, I decided to try to upgrade my Toshiba Tecra 8000 with a PII 400 upgrade processor I bought off of eBay a while back. After several hours of getting through everything, I plugged in a couple of key components to test it out. The hard drive spins, but the monitor and fans do not come on.

Is there a specific jumper that I need to change? I thought the Tecra motherboard was supposed to detect the new speed.

Thanks...

cgtueno

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hi

The Toshiba Tecra 8000 motherboard that was supplied in the original system build has been specifically configured for the supplied processor. Substituting the processor with different model is fraught with a number of problems including CPU electrical differences and motherboard BIOS (CPU microcode) support incompatibilities.

Typically insertion of a miss matching CPU will result in the system's failure to boot, and abnormal behavior (which is consistent with your observations).

As far as I am aware there are no jumpers on the motherboard that may be reset by hand, and I am not aware of any alternative BIOS images that you could try.
Generally there is little in the way of information on the www about overclocking this model of laptop.

Regards

C.