Sign in with
Your question

Planning my cpu water cooling project

Last response: in Overclocking
April 28, 2011 12:58:11 AM

Currently my Phenom II X4 955 BE system is enclosed in a Lian Li pc-v1000 case. While the case was a good home for my former Pentium 4 system I now find that its cooling capacity is lacking for the new system without major mods. It also lacks space for a decent water cooling system with out mounting the rad outside or major mods.

The plan is to move the system into a Cooler Master ATCS 840 case with the follow water cooling parts:

CPU block: Swiftech Apogee XT with Apogee XT Multi Hold down plate

Rad: Black Ice SR1 360 or Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Triple 120mm Radiator

Rad fans: 3 Scythe Gentle Typhoon - D1225C12B3AP-13 - 1150rpm

Res: http://jab-tech.com/EK-Bay-Spin-Reservoir-Acetal-pr-4815.html

Pump: Laing DDC 3.25

I will be using distilled water and a killcoil inside of 3/8" tubing. Also will be using compression fittings.

Loop will be res->pump->cpu->rad->res.

Any thought or advice?
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 3:49:24 PM

You may want to consider going with a kit like the XSPC Rasa 750 Kit RX360... It will be a cheaper option and comes with a very good radiator, 3 solid 1700RPM fans and a very good CPU block.

However the parts you have chosen are also good.

How do you plan to mount the rad?
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 4:12:58 PM

I can tell you, I bought the Swiftech 220 Edge kit. It's more money than the XSPC kit but it comes with the MCP35X pump which adjusts speed off PWM power (AWESOME feature) and the Apogee XTL block, as well as the MCR220 QP rad with resevoir. It dropped my temps by at least 10C at full load compared to my Zalman CNPS10X Extreme air cooler.

And there is a 320 kit available since you want to go triple.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 6:48:35 PM

Swiftech rad over the BIX. Or, consider XSPC RX series rads...they are along the lines of TC PA rads in performance.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 7:28:32 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Swiftech rad over the BIX. Or, consider XSPC RX series rads...they are along the lines of TC PA rads in performance.

But it's not a BIX, it's an SR-1 and with the OP's choice of fans , it's pretty much a dead heat

http://skinneelabs.com/assets/images/Radiators/TripleV2...

I'm thinking we got someone who may have done a bit of research.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 7:54:51 PM

Ahhh...in fact you are correct.

Quote:
Optimized custom 9 FPI (Fins Per Inch) 45 micron copper maximized conductivity.

I retract my original statement. I guess I always see 'Black Ice...' and just stop reading.

OP- good work on your homework.
April 28, 2011 10:53:22 PM

orangejuice789 said:
How do you plan to mount the rad?

I will mount the rad inside the case at the top vent. The case is designed to accommodate up to a 360 rad at this location. The fans will be either mounted on the underside of the rad pushing air up through the rad (preferred) or on top pulling air through the rad. The fan mounting option depends on clearance with the mother board.
April 29, 2011 12:01:11 AM

delluser1 said:
I'm thinking we got someone who may have done a bit of research.

I did a little reading here and there.

rubix_1011 said:
OP- good work on your homework.

Thanks
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 12:35:54 AM

Will width of the rad be an issue? Are you planning to, or would you consider running a push/pull configuration on your radiator?
April 29, 2011 2:14:27 AM

orangejuice789 said:
Will width of the rad be an issue? Are you planning to, or would you consider running a push/pull configuration on your radiator?

Width is not a problem, but according to this pic rad thickness could be. The rad in the pic is a Themochill PA-120.2, which is 60mm thick. With 25mm thick fans that would be 85mm below the top of case.

Judging by what I saw I would have to say that the Black Ice (55.7mm thick, total thickness with fan 80.7mm) just lost out to the Swiftech (34mm thick, total thickness with fans 59mm). It looks like to me that that the fans mounted below the rad will be just about even with the top edge of the mother board.

I am not planning for a push/pull set-up just yet, maybe later.
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 3:56:04 PM

If you can fit it, i would definitely get the thickest possible radiator... If the swiftech is the thickest you can go, then i dont think you will be able to go push/pull, unless you mount fans externally on the top of the case.
April 30, 2011 4:08:12 AM

The nice thing about the Azza Hurican 2000 is that even with the pull fans externally mounted is that they will be out of sight, hidden by the top cover.
April 30, 2011 6:55:29 PM

Just been to the local Microcenter and looked at the Azza Hurrican 2000 case. The Swiftech rad with 25mm thick fans will leave me with about 6mm clearance between the fans and memory modules.

Also looked at the Corsair Obsidian 800D. Nice case with more room for rads, but it is damned expensive. :( 
April 30, 2011 9:10:32 PM

That ATCS 480 looks like a serious water cooling case. :) 
May 1, 2011 1:24:43 AM

I like what this guy did to his ATCS 840. Note the 360 rad in push/pull up top. I am not doing the gpu so I won't be needing the 240 push/pull that he mounted behind the HDD cage.

Looks like the SR-1 is back in front. :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2011 2:56:07 AM

if you only doing CPU loop 360 in pull or push will do just fine
!