Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Corsair H70/Intel I7 2600K - Safe OC to 4.5 Ghz

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 28, 2011 4:32:09 AM

Hey,

I intended on build a new PC and have a question regarding the above parts with ASUS P8P67 Pro.

I intend on Over-clocking the CPU to 4.5 Ghz and would like to know if the H70 is a good cooler for this?

I will do some video editing but mostly gaming (SCII/BF3). If the H70 is not a good option then my alternative is the 'Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B'

Please advise,

Cheers

More about : corsair h70 intel 2600k safe ghz

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 8:11:56 AM

Both will work, and they will both cool the CPU to roughly the same level.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 9:05:09 AM

personally i'd go with the Prolimatech Megahalems over the H70..The H70 is actually loud with the 2 fans from Corsair...You can get a better watercooling system for around the same price as the H70 if you wanna go watercooling...

$124.99 Rasa 750 watercooling kit...

http://www.svc.com/r750rs240.html

Also you might wanna check this heatsink out..It's on sale right now at Tigerdirect for $39.99...

$39.99 Prolimatech Armageddon

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I have the Prolimatech Armgaeddon with 2 140mm fans in a push pull setup and my temps at 4.2ghz at 1.2volts i get around 50-55c on prime 95 torture test for 5 hours..Imo it's just as good or if not better then the Meghalems...
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2011 6:22:57 PM

I have the H50 (a step down from the H70) with 2-fans in a push / pull situation, and I'm very disappointed in the cooling performance. When running Prime95, I get up to 62C with the H50. I might as well gone with a nice air cooler with that temp, and with less risk. I forgot to mention that my case has amazing air flow, and still the high temps for a water cooling system. I will say that it's very quit, compared to some of the high end air coolers.

My 2600k is clocked the same as Bigmac80's...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 6:27:27 PM

Jackpotnz said:
Hey,

I intended on build a new PC and have a question regarding the above parts with ASUS P8P67 Pro.

I intend on Over-clocking the CPU to 4.5 Ghz and would like to know if the H70 is a good cooler for this?

I will do some video editing but mostly gaming (SCII/BF3). If the H70 is not a good option then my alternative is the 'Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B'

Please advise,

Cheers


The H70 should do the job for your requirement. You can tune down the fans to reasonable level and temperature. Do it while running Prime95 and get a profile for about 4 to 8 hrs. In that way you have an idea how the temperature behaves with the change of temperature of the room during the time of day/night.

When i profile my temp i datalog the temp of incoming air temp and case air temp.

I have replaced my big bulky coolers with H50 when it came out.. The main reason is elimination of this big/bulky cooling blocks on top of the motherboard. I have 3 quad cores setups that uses Zalman coolers. The Zalman were great but with H50 my boards have less mechanical weight on it and is/are more accessible.

Again you can tune down the temp and noise level to your liking.

The difference of 2 or 3 degress difference should not be a big deal @ 100% CPU during Prime95. It won't kill your CPUs and still run with lower noise level.

Cheers
Share
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 6:30:29 PM

My Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B keeps my 2600K in the 62-65C range at 1.35V and 4.5Ghz overclock when stressing with prime 95, Hyperthreading is on. The cooler is nearly silent and only $40.

Here is a great comparison article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 12:17:18 AM

bradkman said:
I have the H50 (a step down from the H70) with 2-fans in a push / pull situation, and I'm very disappointed in the cooling performance. When running Prime95, I get up to 62C with the H50. I might as well gone with a nice air cooler with that temp, and with less risk. I forgot to mention that my case has amazing air flow, and still the high temps for a water cooling system. I will say that it's very quit, compared to some of the high end air coolers.

My 2600k is clocked the same as Bigmac80's...

Yep. Those closed-loop coolers are all (yes, every single one of them) only as good as the better "big air" coolers. To get better than "big air" you need a real CPU cooling loop like the XSPC Rasa kit Bigmac80 suggested.
m
0
l
April 30, 2011 8:11:16 PM

bradkman said:
I have the H50 (a step down from the H70) with 2-fans in a push / pull situation, and I'm very disappointed in the cooling performance. When running Prime95, I get up to 62C with the H50. I might as well gone with a nice air cooler with that temp, and with less risk. I forgot to mention that my case has amazing air flow, and still the high temps for a water cooling system. I will say that it's very quit, compared to some of the high end air coolers.

My 2600k is clocked the same as Bigmac80's...



The H70 is a bit better than the H50 - bigger rad...

In regards to getting the same cooling with an air cooler you are 100% correct. I personally purchased the H70 to avoid any issues with installing one of the larger air coolers. If the TS is looking for an easy to install air cooler that will cool well enough to OC to 4.5 ghz the H70 is a good choice.
m
0
l
May 1, 2011 7:31:40 AM

I am looking for a easy to install, decent CPU cooler so i can run my 2600K at 4.5 Ghz (no more) and have the possibility to no longer dust my cooler IF it is good enough to do a adequate job.

I think I will get a H70 at this rate, and probably get additional fans.

Cheers and TYVM to those who helped me decide.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2011 1:30:36 PM

Jackpotnz said:
I am looking for a easy to install, decent CPU cooler so i can run my 2600K at 4.5 Ghz (no more) and have the possibility to no longer dust my cooler IF it is good enough to do a adequate job.

I think I will get a H70 at this rate, and probably get additional fans.

Cheers and TYVM to those who helped me decide.

Got a fan and metal fins, not getting away from dusting.
m
0
l
May 8, 2011 2:17:12 AM

Best answer selected by Jackpotnz.
m
0
l
!