I7 2600k/ASUS Sabertooth p67 I'm new to overclocking/wanting to learn.

spockfive

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Hello:
I'm new to the hole overclocking seen. If any one would like to share there knowledge with me it would be much appreciated.

What I've been doing:
I have been timidly toying around with it but always end up putting it back to stock. I did follow step by step what a guy from ASUS was doing on newegg's YouTube channel and setting it to 4.8ghz but reverted it back to stock after seeing 2 of the 4 core temps get into the 80's after3 minutes of prime95.

I have also played around with ASUS windows side over clocking program and over clocked the CPU to 4.5ghz and ran prime95 on the small FFT setting for 25 minutes and the temps holding at 75c on two of the cores and 83c on the other two cores.

What I've been thinking about:
I went with the Noctua NH-C14 because of the case and mobo that I selected. Though I have been debating eBay-ing the board and going with the ASUS p67 pro or deluxe, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle...

Things that I would like to know:
1. Are there any good over clocking guides for the ASUS Sabertooth p67 and if not dose it have all the same functionality that the p67 pro and deluxe have when in the uEFI bios?
2. What are the safe VCORE voltages and what voltages generally correspond with 4.(x)ghz?
3. What are safe max temperatures for running prime95?
4. Should I run my mobo's phase array at it's maximum?
5. Is there any thing that I should know/bewared of that I haven't touched on?

*Note* I've seen a bunch of conflicting statements about temperatures and voltages online that all sound like hearsay.

My goals with this system:
I'm wanting to do a stable 4.4-4.8ghz overclock, actually run my ram at 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz, and eventually add a second GTX 580sc down the road (around the end of the year)

My build to date:
CPU: i7 2600k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth p67
Graphics: Evga GTX 580 SuperClocked
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance
SSD: 240gb OCZ Vortex 2
Optical: LG BD
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Case: Antec LanBoy Air

Thank you every one for your time.

Edit: I will be using this rig for gaming and video editing. 90% gaming 10% video editing.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
1. All Asus should use similar UEFIs so that shouldn't be a problem
2. All cpus are different and you can't go based on other people's vcore settings. As long as it's under 1.4V its "safe"
3. The cpu will shut down at 99C however you don't want to exceed 80C
4. not sure on that one
5. I will tell you that to get your RAM to run at 1600, enable your XMP profile and there should be one available that has it set to 1600Mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
5. To run 1600Mhz on RAM you need to increase its volt to 1.65, stock is 1.5 at 1333Mhz. The Asus UEFI EZ mode will do this automatically if you choose the Max Performance settings. If you want to do it yourself then like crewton said, enable XMP.

I'm new to overclocking too. Instead of just relying on step by step from other users, I will educate myself on how exactly everything works and why. That way I will have some basic logical knowledge, and I could identify possible solutiuons when asking in any forum for help. Most unstability issues is because of voltage. So I will educate myself more on that area. I suggest doing the same.

I should ad that OC'ing is fun but time consuming

spockfive

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks crewton and maverick knight for your impute.

I've been quite a bit lately about over clocking but I really havent found any sources that talk about what specifically dose what and I haven't come across any thing that I would refer to as the theory of over clocking.

As for the ram from what I understand it is 9 9 9 24 t1 and is ment to run at 1.5v at 1600mhz. (Please do correct me if I'm worng.)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7025810&CatId=3473

Well this thread, NO OFFENSE, is classic Blind Leading the Blind, guys just because you get conflicting advice from everyone testing to discover what these new Sandy Bridge K CPUs can do, does not mean they don't know what they're doing.

There's a big difference from taking advice from seasoned overclockers, than stumbling around with no overclocking experience under your belt, experimenting with different settings, not having a clue as to what they do.

That's definitely a preset for disaster even being cautious, simply because you don't know what cautious even is, THGF has an overclocking guide in place, you need to study that or if you're after a solid 4 core OC check my link below.

Whatever you do, Learn First, Then Do, some of us have been testing from the beginning of the Sandy Bridge CPU releases, and the amazing thing about these CPUs is the options for OCing them!

spockfive

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

Thank you