Xigmatek Dark Knight=heatsink & fan
WD Caviar Black 1TB= HDD
OCZ gold 3x2gb 1600=ram
Antec TP 750 blue=PSU
Saphire ATI 4870 1gb=video card
artic silver 5=thermal compound
Antec 900=case
Windows 7 download or XP not sure yet.

Not thinking I picked up a Lite On 22x DVD writer (PATA)

1 The Noob question is what to do with it? can I just connect it to the 1 IDE port on the mainboard or take it back?
2 Another question is once the system boots do I have to update the bios, or can I just install the OS at that
point?
Plan to build it on Saturday. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks for the help

Just my opinion, but:

1) Bring it back.

2) Install the OS. Get your video, ISP, and audio working. Install Coretemp to watch your temperatures. Run your stability tests (memtest, prime, etc).

If you have problems, then check for those specific driver and/or BIOS updates. In the case of BIOS updates, do NOT install a new BIOS unless its changelog says it fixes something that applies to you. There is NO VALUE in risking a BIOS update that does nothing for you.

Bottom line: Get a good first build under your belt. Stuff usually works well enough with what they send you to prove you didn't make a build-error. Then you can go get the latest drivers.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
You shouldn't need to update the bios, they usually come with the latest bios revisions preinstalled. ANd ONLY flash the bios if you have a problem that needs fixing, BIOS flashing is risky business and even someone who knows what they are doing can end up trashing a motherboards from a bad BIOS flash. Sometimes they just go badly and you completely destroy a MB, even if you do everything right.

Your DVD Drive should be fine if you don't mind the ribbon cable, performance wise it won't be any different than a SATA drive. I would just use it TBH.