Good video card on a sub-par system

Dark007

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
So here's my situation -- I am away from home for the summer and did not want to spend the big bucks to ship my computer safely to my current location. I am staying at a cousin's house with an older "enthusiast's" system - P4 w/ HT @ 3.8 GHz (stock speed), 4 GB PC5300 RAM, and a PCIe video card slot. It has one of the original PCIe cards that came out -- it won't run many of the current games. In addition, I have been wanting to upgrade my video card for my system that I left at home (a computer that could handle any single card). If I were to buy a good video card to add to my system at home later, how do you all think it would run on the above described P4 system in the mean time? Also, I know I'd need at least 650 W of power, but what should I be looking for on the power supply in terms of connections for some of the better cards on the market today? Thanks for your input!

Dark007

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
computer not with me has:

Core 2 3.0 GHz (E6600)
4 GB PC6400
Abit AB9 Pro Mobo
8800 GTX OC (640 MB)

Keeping an open mind to building a new computer after this summer if I can afford it, something that'd better suit a top of the line card than current system.