AMD just got a lot bigger.

jennyh

Splendid
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/06/globalfoundries-buys-chartered-semiconductor/

Not bad for a bankrupt imminent company eh? Wonder how they afforded that hmmm.

They're separate companies; AMD and Global Foundries. So AMD did NOT buy Chartered, but Global Foundries did. However, there could be good news for AMD from all of it, but I don't fully understand the implications.

jennyh

Splendid
ATIC + AMD created 'Global Foundries'. AMD are (is :p) a parent of global foundries, in this case ATIC aquired Chartered, with what has to be with the plan of making glofo bigger.

I know AMD didn't buy Chartered, but they must have paid something somewhere for this, either that or abu dhabi is being extremely generous.

Either way, it's more good news for AMD and another clear indication that GloFo mean business, serious business.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
From the initial reports, it looks as if ATIC is going to keep GF and Chartered as seperate companies that will share technology - so this won't really affect AMD one way or the other.

GF is getting more fab space and Chartered is getting money and new process tech - so it looks like a good move overall for ATIC.

It will effect AMD long term, as this closes all the rumored "but will they keep making cpus for AMD when theyre busy?" wording.
It also allows for more companies to use GF as well, which in the end is long term profit for AMD.
As was said when this happened, ATIC isnt just another company that is in it for the short term, and would be a bad partner, and goes above what most consider a "good" business attitude.People said otherwise, I guess they were confused with the old, get it while you can attitude thats caused alot of the current economic mess were in.
I explained that ATIC was different, as they represent a people, much like a tribe, and their focus is much different than many businesses.
This is good news, as obviously, its going to come down to 3 in the end, and most likely, just 2, and that means if TSMC eventually sells/folds, long term, Intel will have to start making all their own.
Itll be interesting to see if Intel heads in 1 direction or the other

It was kinda easy to see this coming.

Chartered has been partnered with AMD for over 5 years and should be good at 45nm SOI output today. Their capacity is under-utilized - it's been a rough year in semiconductors. TSMC was rumored to be in acquisition talks with them last year - let's face it, these days it may well be 'consolidate or die'. I'm not sure how many 'wafer-starts' Chartered brings to the table but it should be a bunch (Chartered has like 10 facilities).

These guys at the UAE don't play. They do not enter a business simply to profit - their desire is to become a market leader. Picking up Chartered is like snagging low-hanging fruit.

I'm guessing AMD had a great deal of input on this one. There is a 'unique' relationship in the structure of GF. And I don't mean to sound like a smart 'A' here but the UAE is becoming the financial arm of AMD.

That can be good and bad depending upon how you want to look at it.

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I don't think Intel is going to be too worried about this directly, though indirectly it pushes GF into things like ARM and puts them somewhat into the competitive path. Certainly the customer list helps GF to stay afloat long enough to ride out the doldrums of this economy, which is doubtless very pleasing to their shareholders and employees.

Yeah, youd hate to see em have to toss in another 3 or 4 billion around heheh.
Yea, I hinted at the ARM possibility when ATIC and AMD did their thing, but at the time, people were more concerned about how bad this made AMD look.
I was trying to explain, since it did have to happen, they couldnt have gotten a better partner.
These guys do have plenty of dough, and by the time theyre done, Im sure therell be a research center in the Middle East.
My point was more long term, as competition heats up, they could end up putting the hurt on TSMC, whom Intel uses for SoC etc. Id guess that maybe itll get interesting