Sign in with
Your question

Problems with the ATI 4890

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2009 3:23:03 AM

While it may be my set up but right now I'm totally baffled as to how to run my display after upgrading from an 8800GT to a 4890.

The Setup:
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
2GB RAM
Gigabyte MOBO
Windows Vista 32 Ultimate SP1
42 INCH Sharp Aquos TV (aka "the problem")

The Problem:
After changing the cards/drivers/catalyst etc, the windows does appear to fill up the entire TV screen which worked when I ran the 8800GT. There's now a 1 inch gap between the edges of the Windows. I'm trying to run it at 1920x1080 resolution and 60hz which is the case, but have said issues.

Second issue:
I can't run Crysis or Farcry2 at all. Crysis has a wierd issue where the mouse just gets off target and I can't click on anything, not even to change the resolutions. Farcry2 works but only at 1280x720 resolution at 1920x1080 it fills just the top left hand corner of the TV like I'm using a 20 inch monitor or something. I haven't tried any other games. I will try Fallout and Call of Duty World at War later.

Question:
Is it the settings or do I need to further update the games? Why can't I get the windows to go full screen and not have that gap? Anyone has a similar setup (4890 + LCD TV) and managed to have no issues, what's your secret?

Thanks

More about : problems ati 4890

June 23, 2009 3:32:19 AM

re install vista entirely and turn off auto update, get SP2 manually and then get all the drivers.

if still problems ask me again.
June 23, 2009 3:39:05 AM

rizalrepin said:
While it may be my set up but right now I'm totally baffled as to how to run my display after upgrading from an 8800GT to a 4890.

The Setup:
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
2GB RAM
Gigabyte MOBO
Windows Vista 32 Ultimate SP1
42 INCH Sharp Aquos TV (aka "the problem")

The Problem:
After changing the cards/drivers/catalyst etc, the windows does appear to fill up the entire TV screen which worked when I ran the 8800GT. There's now a 1 inch gap between the edges of the Windows. I'm trying to run it at 1920x1080 resolution and 60hz which is the case, but have said issues.

Question:
Is it the settings or do I need to further update the games? Why can't I get the windows to go full screen and not have that gap? Anyone has a similar setup (4890 + LCD TV) and managed to have no issues, what's your secret?

Thanks

Have you gone into the catalyst control center under HDTV settings and added 1080p60 to your settings? That might be all you need to do (well, choose that as your resolution once you add it that is).
Related resources
June 23, 2009 5:47:49 AM

kanati8869 said:
Have you gone into the catalyst control center under HDTV settings and added 1080p60 to your settings? That might be all you need to do (well, choose that as your resolution once you add it that is).

Yes, I've done that and that didn't work. In Catalyst it's possible to Force the resolution to 1080p 60hz and it was the same result actually. I've even tried manually resetting the TV in case that was the problem but that wasn't the solution either.
June 23, 2009 11:17:30 PM

You stated that 8800GT got you 1080P on your 42 inch HDTV... If True

1) Problem 1: "There's now a 1 inch gap between the edges of the Windows"

If this is scaling issue... Start CCC then go to SCALING OPTIONS. There is a slider for UNDERSCAN & OVERSCAN. Try it and see if it works

2) Problem 2: "Crysis the mouse is OFF TARGET." This is GAME SETTING RELATED.
I encounter this issue before.

Scale down your game resolution and settings. Walk it up gradually until you find the setup that works for you.

I use 8800GT 512 OC and 4890 XOC. Both cards works just fine on HDTV @ 1080P for video, movies, Regular PC application , and Games.
!