Sign in with
Your question

CPU temp crazy

Last response: in Overclocking
April 28, 2011 8:16:10 AM

I am very confused about component temps. My core temps are currently idling at 36-38 except core 2 which is 40 - 42 but my overall tempurature is 46. Shouldn't the overall tempurature be an average of all the core tempuratures? It is considerably higher. Also I read that the core temps are normally 10 degrees more than the overall. I ran a stress test on my cpu and it got up to 92 overall and about 89 on the cores before I stopped it. It was still going up but my computer was perfectly stable. I'm just using a stock fan but even so these numbers seem very high. I'm running an i5 760 @ 2800mhz. It's not overclocked but as this post regards component temps this seems like the best forum catagory.

i5 760
4 gig ddr3 underclocked to default 1366
gtx 560 ti 1gb

my motherboard runs at about 30

is soemthing wrong with my processor?

More about : cpu temp crazy

April 28, 2011 9:01:44 AM

if this is in degrees celsius then this is ridiculously high for a cpu cooler. I suggest you buy a new one. if theres enough room in your case for a tower cooler, go for the coolermaster hyper 212+ (cheap, reliable and keeps processors cool). It may just be a fault with the temperature sensor on the motherboard that is reporting the overall temperature, dont worry too much about it but please change your cooler or at least check if it is mounted properly and that the thermal paste/pad has been applied properly
Related resources
April 28, 2011 9:15:48 AM

ofc everything is in degrees C
we don't live in the stone age :p 
April 28, 2011 9:18:09 AM

what do the terms TCase, TControl and TJunction mean? and why is the overall "CPU" temp higher than the cores on both?
April 28, 2011 4:22:24 PM

Speedfan isn't the most accurate. Use Realtemps instead.

Ttv is defined as the maximum operating temperature of the CPU.

Tcase is defined as case temperature of the processor case (not computer case) above ambient.

Tcase_max is defined as the max temperature above ambient CPU can reach. This is specific to the test settings which I believe are 45C ambient, heatsink resistance of 0.29 C/W, and 1 atmosphere.

Ta is defined as ambient temperature. 45C for Intel testing, 48C or 42C for AMD testing.

What software and temperature probes measure is Tcase + Ta or the temperature of the CPU case above ambient + the ambient temperature.

Tjunction is defined as Ttv-Tcase-Ta or Tcase max-Tcase.

Essentially, it's how many degrees you are currently away from the max operating temp of you CPU.

Tcontrol is the diode control temp of a CPU fan. IE, the temperature the fan will try to keep the CPU below.

Don't see where you're getting your overall temps/ how it's defined so can't tell you. If overall is defined a max temp CPU reached during testing (like how realtemps defines it) then that makes sense.

Also, different diodes read diff temps. The Tcase temp reading is different from an on chip diode reading, which is different from a temperature probe stuck on the CPU reading.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 4:32:26 PM

First - Def of various temperatures
http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/guide-to-underst...
What banthracis said.

Two things
(1) Your +12V is showing a little low - Spec is Min of 11.4, Myself I imposs a limit of 11.6 for a Min.
Recommend You down load CPUID HWMonitor as a 2nd monitoring program to confirm your Readings.
Please specify PSU make/Model. If HWMonitor also shows 11.5 V, (A) verify with a DVM and or (B) replace PSU if Voltage infact is 11.5 V and/or if PSU is one of the PSUs best used as a door stop - And NOT to be used in a computer!!

(2) On Temperatures:
A. The stock HSF is very poor, at the bottom of the list in terms of performance - and that is if it IS installed CORRECTLY - Not on you, but many have problems getting the &(*^T(^&^ Push pins locked.
B. I have a 3rd party HSF (By far not the Best - Zalman 9700A) and My I5-750 OCed to 3.2 only gets to approx 60 C running Prime 95. Highly recommend the hyper 212+ prime 95 - for the cost, hard to beet for a low-> mid range OC and for Stock is an outstanding choice.

Added: link to HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
PS - HWMonitor does NOT display my +12 V Correctly, it shows up as the -12V reading. So if it shows up as a "out in left field value" - ignore. But do need to verify voltage.
April 28, 2011 9:32:08 PM

replace smiley with : o to fix link ^^

Asus probe reports 12v as 12.26

so which one is right and what would cause them to differ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 10:14:29 PM

In both cases, is that voltage @ idle or under load (Runing Prime 95).

This is a problem, three software packages, 3 different readings.
Normally I find the Utillity that comes with the MB to be the more accurate one, But this is not a Given.

Does your Bios (Under Health page) list the voltage, or just states that it is OK. This voltage should be correct, BUT it is basically at Idle and you need it for Under load. If the Bios does list the voltage, then use the software pakage that is the closest.

The Best Way is to use a digital Voltmeter. Very simiple to use and only about $20 at an auto part store, possibly even walmart. Very handy around the house and car, not just for computers. Remove side panel, connect voltmeter black lead into center pin on a molex connecter (Has Black wire). Insert red meter lead into the end of the molex with Yellow (may be orange) wire. This is your +12 V. Move red meter lead to other end of molex (has red wire) and this is your +5 V.

NOTE: only one program showed 11.5V so proably not a problem, BUT I would verify - take nothing for granted! That PSU should be a GOOD PSU.
April 28, 2011 10:17:48 PM

according to your definitions banthracis

if i understand this right...

so Tcase (Tcase is defined as case temperature of the processor case (not computer case) above ambient) is 72.7 according to intel plus Ta (45 for testing as ambient) = 117.7 degrees C

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496

this is the max the chip can reach before it cuts out or before it melts like the wicked witch of the west?
surely this can't be right?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 10:26:59 PM

The wicked witch of the west melted on Tjunction, not tcase
from my link
quote: Tjunction Max: This is the maximum temperature the cores can reach before the PROCHOT# signal is sent and thermal throttling is activated, although throttling typically occurs a degree or two below this. In this post Tjunction Max refers to either the actual throttling point for a core/CPU or what is used by a temperature monitoring program end quote.
April 28, 2011 10:40:00 PM

bios reading is exact match along with probe. 12.26
12v and 5 do not change under load
3v drops from 3.41 to 3.39
so I don't think the voltage is anything to worry about

im going to try resitting the HSF tomorrow when im fresh
I think I may have used too much thermal paste as i was quite liberal as it is non-conductive
it was the first time i have applied it.
April 29, 2011 4:04:58 AM

this is all really dumb. he has no problem. your all wasting your keyboards, internetz and small minds
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 12:28:15 PM

^ He did have a problem,
His temps under load (90C) where very High.
A voltage of 11.5 on The +12 V is on the low side - Turned out to be a problem with program, Not PSU - BUT needed to be verified.

Yes too much thermal paste can be a problem.
After removing all old paste, reapply past, reseat (verify puch pins are fully inserted.
And enjoy.
!