Sign in with
Your question

CPU Water Cooler Clicks?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 28, 2011 9:38:29 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum, anyway here are my system specs.(http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/espec.aspx?eid=126594). I'm concerned with the water cooler because the temperatures seem a little high to me for being water cooled(33c° idle, 44-47c° at 35-40%load, 53c° at 50% load). I'm concerned mainly because for a while the water cooler has had a faint clicking sound(sometimes it sounds like a fan it scraping something,no it's not)when I first got the computer i could hear the water flowing but now I don't.The computer is about 4 months old and yes I have contacted ibuypower support, I would just like a second opinion if they ever reply.Thank You.
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 290 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 1:44:51 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

What overclock do you have? The temps are high as you say, 53ºC at mid load aren't good.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 1:55:20 PM

Eh, depending on what cooler (betting a LCS of some sort) they are probably about right.
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2011 2:34:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, I don't overclock and I honestly don't know the make of the cooler, and I also haven't gone over 75% load but even then it was about 55c°, my video card isn't water cooled but when playing games it gets up between 65-70c°, so maybe it's the case?I just want to know why it's clicking unless that's how it's supposed to sound.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 2:49:42 PM

Can you post pics? I'm betting we can figure it out for you if you aren't sure.

65-70C for a video card is very normal...they really don't start getting in trouble until 90C-100C+ Even so, cooler is always better for hardware.
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:30:07 PM

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " /> " alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 3:34:31 PM

Well it could definitely be that the pump is broken, especially if you used to hear water flowing and now you don't. Best bet is to send an email to the manufacturer and try to get an RMA, unless you have a store warranty. Then just go through them and maybe use stock cooling in the meantime.
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:44:54 PM

wolfram23 said:
Well it could definitely be that the pump is broken, especially if you used to hear water flowing and now you don't. Best bet is to send an email to the manufacturer and try to get an RMA, unless you have a store warranty. Then just go through them and maybe use stock cooling in the meantime.

3 year warranty thank god, so far I'm not liking Ibuypower's customer support, 2 days, no reply. Could it be maybe a small air bubble in the water because I listened very closely and it almost sounds like gurgling, I'm not going to bet anything on that assumption though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 4:41:24 PM

most of the " Clicks" are associated with fan @ low RPM or air in the pump,if the temps are higher then they wore before i would reapply some good TIM first
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 6:47:11 PM

Hmmm...Asetek? Didn't they supply for iBuyPower?
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 290 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 8:29:38 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Hmmm...Asetek? Didn't they supply for iBuyPower?

Yeah, and the same for Corsair.
m
l
April 28, 2011 9:07:20 PM

Well Tech support replied, evidently the temperatures are normal and he said to check the tubes(they are fine)and to turn of cpu fan control in the BIOS(which increased the speed of the clicking sound.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 290 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 9:57:53 PM

xxjimboxx93 said:
Well Tech support replied, evidently the temperatures are normal and he said to check the tubes(they are fine)and to turn of cpu fan control in the BIOS(which increased the speed of the clicking sound.

Crap, those are the same temps that you get with stock cooler. Remove the fan and get a borrow one and test again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 1:59:23 PM

^^ I think you just may have nailed that one.

Ugh...I despise boutique builders that use crap LCS coolers and sell them as 'watercooling'. They need to be a little more discerning when selling to the general public.
m
l
!