Laptops and heat/sweat from hands

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 3:24:24 AM

Hi,

I'm one of those persons whose hands sweat a lot (and also get more
hot than average). I'm planning becoming a laptop user, but I feel a
bit worried regarding if the moisture and heat from my hands could
affect critical machine parts, like the hard disk, the CD/DVD optical
parts, the system board, etc...

For example, I know CD/DVD drives can malfunction in case of
condensation when they're moved from hot to cold rooms. Also, hard
disks don't like heat. And moisture is not a good friend of electronic
components...

Many years ago I was a ZX-Spectrum-48K user, and it never had a
problem with this (in fact it never needed any kind of repair),
although the black paint in the keyboard metal cover was lost in some
areas.

Should I've special care about deciding to get a laptop?

TIA.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 4:50:47 AM

nopa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm one of those persons whose hands sweat a lot (and also get more
> hot than average). I'm planning becoming a laptop user, but I feel a
> bit worried regarding if the moisture and heat from my hands could
> affect critical machine parts, like the hard disk, the CD/DVD optical
> parts, the system board, etc...
>
> For example, I know CD/DVD drives can malfunction in case of
> condensation when they're moved from hot to cold rooms. Also, hard
> disks don't like heat. And moisture is not a good friend of electronic
> components...
>
> Many years ago I was a ZX-Spectrum-48K user, and it never had a
> problem with this (in fact it never needed any kind of repair),
> although the black paint in the keyboard metal cover was lost in some
> areas.
>
> Should I've special care about deciding to get a laptop?
>
> TIA.

My opinion, no problem.

a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 7:53:40 AM

> Should I've special care about deciding to get a laptop?

No, but I would avoid laptops with a touchpad type pointing device. I
have the same problem. Once my hands get moist, the pad starts to go
weird and won't correct itself until it's wiped dry. If any moisture
gets under the edges, the thing will continue to behave erratically
until it's had a chance to evaporate. I much prefer the trackpoint
type pointing device anyway, so this isn't a major problem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 7:03:19 PM

nopa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm one of those persons whose hands sweat a lot (and also get more
> hot than average). I'm planning becoming a laptop user, but I feel a
> bit worried regarding if the moisture and heat from my hands could
> affect critical machine parts, like the hard disk, the CD/DVD optical
> parts, the system board, etc...

dont worry. I use my laptop since three years and I really swet a lot :)
especially when 20 people standing around you and waiting for a crashed
presentation :)

no problem - even the touchpad is still working ok. I regulary clean it
with pc-cleaning-wipes. But it also survived a cup of tea, several
cigarettes-ashes and loads of serverdust in small dirty serverrooms.

The laptop usually will gets warmer than your hands are by itself.

best,
peter

ps: did you ever try taking frequently hot salt-water-baths for your
hands? At least this is said to work for sweaty feets.
!