Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Prolimatech Super Mega with two different types of fan??

Last response: in Overclocking
April 28, 2011 2:13:55 PM

Hi everyone :hello: 

I've gotten lots of help from the many helpful posters here in helping me create my new build. After plenty of help and considerations, I've decided on the Prolimatech Super Mega as my CPU cooler because of its performance, and I will be able to get one at a very very good price and without any delevary charges (local seller).

So my question is this, can I use two different types of fan on my cooler? This is my initial plan. For the front to pull air in, the Aerocool Shark 12cm fan with 1500rpm, 82.6 CMF and 1.273 mm-H2O. For the back, to pull the air out, the CoolerMaster Excalibur with 2000rpm, 85.6 CFM and 3.53 mm-H2O.

These are the max settings. They roughly have the same CFM, but the CoolerMaster has a much stronger static pull, which I think would be perfect for the back since it will encounter air flow resistance from the cooler's many fins..........or at least I think it will :kaola: 

Why I didn't go with two excaliburs.........I think I am going to get laughed at for this, is that I like the Aerocool Shark's looks. Sorry, I work with graphics and art, so these types of things get extra attention from me :D 

Do you guys think this two different fan types setup could work? Or would you guys still recommend that I go with a pair of matching fans? If there is actually none or very little air resistance generated from the cpu cooler, I wouldn't mind getting a pair of Aerocool Sharks! Or do you guys think I should throw away my silly obsession and get two Excaliburs?

I am living in Asia, so I won't be able to buy from Newegg, and there are many brands that are not available here. Most CoolerMaster fans are available though. The XtraFlo is very attractively priced and has very strong performance, but at 38db, I am worried that it might be too loud.

What do you guys think I should do with my fan setup?

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2011 6:57:49 PM

Yes, it should work fine. Plug the push fan into the CPU_FAN header and the pull fan into the PSU or into one of the other fan headers. In any case, there will be some imbalance created, but not enough to cause problems. There are users who run just one fan in push.

A little experimentation along with monitoring the temps will help.
May 2, 2011 5:43:00 AM

Thanks you for your help Ubrales. Ok, I will do exactly that if I do go with the two different fan setup.

Well, most people keep saying that it is better for me to go with 2 same fan setup to be more consistent and that the Prolimatech doesn't have much static resistance, so I don't have to go all out for the Excaliburs.

Haha I am still undecided as to which to go with, but almost every examples seem to point towards using the same fan. In the end, I just might play it safe.......or maybe not :D 

Again, thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 12:49:16 PM

rekjl said:
Thanks you for your help Ubrales. Ok, I will do exactly that if I do go with the two different fan setup.

Well, most people keep saying that it is better for me to go with 2 same fan setup to be more consistent and that the Prolimatech doesn't have much static resistance, so I don't have to go all out for the Excaliburs.

Haha I am still undecided as to which to go with, but almost every examples seem to point towards using the same fan. In the end, I just might play it safe.......or maybe not :D 

Again, thanks!

There is another advantage of using the same type of fans - Standardization! When you have the same fan installed in several situations, one spare will suffice (if you are the type who carries spares).
m
l
May 2, 2011 12:58:10 PM

Haha very sound advice!

Thank you!
m
l
May 2, 2011 12:59:09 PM

Best answer selected by rekjl.
m
l
a b K Overclocking