Should i keep my IDE HDD

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hi everyone

Sorry to open a thread that may have one time or another been asked before.

I have four hard drives:

Internal

Samsung 80 GB : IDE
Samsung 1 TB : SATA
Seagate 1TB : SATA

External

Samsung G3 Station 2 TB : USB

Now what i would like to know is should i do away with the 80 GB IDE HDD and just partition one of the internal SATA drives, in order to move away from IDE?

I have had this IDE for 7 years and has been formatted and reinstalled, i have had no issue with it but the fact that the grey IDE cable makes my case look ugly inside.

I appreciate the responses. :wahoo:

D

Deleted member 217926

I would get rid of it. I have not had an IDE drive in my computer since 2005 or so and I just remember how slow the whole IDE bus is. Not to mention the airflow restriction from those huge cables.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

So would it be right in saying that i can just partition a small amount off one of my drives and just use that for the OS?

D

Deleted member 217926

If so get it off that slowness ASAP. Put the OS on the Samsung Spinpoint F3? 1TB. Partition if necessary.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Ha Ha Ha, Can't be that bad the 80 GB has 7200rpm going there but its time to retire that parasite,lol, But is it bad to partition a drive? and how much should i allocate to the partition?

D

Deleted member 217926

It is that bad trust me . The newer 500GB per platter drives are SEVERAL times faster than that old 80GB IDE.......like 10 or more. Do a half and half if you are worried about space but I would not partition at all. Just install on the ( slightly more reliable) Samsung.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Well with 4 TB in total thats more than enough space.lol.So i suppose i will use my Samsung 1 TB for the OS and not partition it then i should see a increase in performance correct?

D

Deleted member 217926

The drive its self will be at LEAST 10 times faster than that old 80Gb IDE. So yes you will see some gains in performance ;) .

Hopefully your computer is powerful enough to make use of the gains.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well i don't have the sandybridge,lol,I have 4 gb ddr 2 Ram and a core2quad Q8400 CPU with a GTS450 FPB graphics card but i take it that wouldn't qualify as performance anymore,lol

D

Deleted member 217926

You will be fine. The Spinpoint F3 and this new generation of 500GB per platter drives put the old 10,000RPM Raptors/Velociraptors to shame. Not as fast as an SSD but a really nice upgrade from what you have. You WILL see a huge difference.

It is a Spinpoint F3 right?

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well lets just say with your build you have the modern man i am one up from the dionsaurs after today,lol, Just the painful task of installing everything ha ha well i must say its good to learn something new, was getting the feeling it was time to replace that block,lol, Thanks for your help it was really needed

D

Deleted member 217926

Great. It will be a beast compared to the old one then. And I am glad I could help. Enjoy your speed boost.

D

Deleted member 217926

Don't feel bad either I just upgraded ( waited FOREVER to upgrade). I had an E8400 ( dual core) with 4 Gb of DDR2 till about 3 weeks ago. Got mine about a week before the recall. :??:

Damn recall. lol

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Thanks alot hey, Well i bought bad company 2 and experienced no lag so as long as my games run without a stutter i can wait until i upgrade again although i wish i had the system you got.lol

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well IDE is history SATA in now im basically in the future again just have to upgrade my PC when i got the bucks, I noticed the performance quickly as soon as i finished installing all my games which took me a hundred years,lol

D

Deleted member 217926

Glad it worked out for you! I knew it would be faster lol.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Nice to bump into fellow trogdolytes on these forums :) I thought of putting my old 80GB IDE drive into my new box too, but now thinking against it... after all it's like the only legacy HDD that still has serious disk space so could be used for other purposes. My recommendation is to use it with your old system and install linux on that one, makes for a nice home server/learning platform.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Yeah well prehostoric is out apparently so got to get with the new or you lose,lol,Besides ever since i used my SATA my PC doesnt take as long to load information.

Must now strive to build the famous sandybridge PC so maybe il use this PC to sell to some establishment but no way will that IDE go back in there,lol

Allnsmth

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hi,

If this is being installed as a secondary storage drive for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows server 2000/2003/2008, then you can go into the built in utility called "Disk Management". Go into the Control Panel -> go under Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management.

D

Deleted member 217926

A little late to the party. He already has it installed.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Oh yeah see how i didn't respond as i was like ahh i already gave away that HDD.lol.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I would just like to ask finally : How many HDD's should i have as i installed the OS on the samsung 1TB and games and have about 349 GB's left, My other Drive is under MEDIA 1 TB, but i feel the movies and music should go over to my 2 TB external. Or i must partition the drive?