POLL: How many sims

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2005 11:39:21 AM

How many sims in your neighbourhoods?

I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
many you can have... probably not.

To find out, look in

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters

Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

More about : poll sims

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:39:22 AM

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.
>

> To find out, look in
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
> 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
>
> Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

Remember also that by characters it includes all npc's and townies, not just
the ones you have created.

I have 3 neighborhoods, none of which is of the original 3. There is 'Smoky
Mountains', 'Wide Open Spaces' and 'StoryTime'. In total, maybe 6 families,
lol.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:39:22 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.

I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you possibly have
that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a limit I hope it's
quite high. Even including all townies, etc that seems loads.
May 17, 2005 11:39:22 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.
>

> To find out, look in
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
> 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
>
> Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

222 living in Pleasantville, but that probably includes all the dead ones
that came with the game and might even include the NPCs too, I don't know.
I haven't played the other two Maxis neighborhoods. I have one neighborhood
I named "Mortgage Row" that I just use for building and packaging lots, so
there shouldn't be any characters in there but it shows 149 characters
anyway. I've never put a single sim into a house there, never even created
a sim for the family bin.

Jeanie
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:39:22 AM

Granny Grumpling wrote:

> Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?

> Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
> No wonder the files are so large.

If you import a family that's been packaged, all the sims mentioned in
memories of the sims in the package are created when you place that
family in your neighborhood. For example, I import a family that had
memories of 200 sims, my folder will show 200 sims added in addition to
however many people were in the family, no matter if those 200 sims are
originally from the neighborhood I just imported the family into. It
needs to do this in order for your sims' memories to function properly.
If the game didn't do this, your game could crash any time anyone in
that family had a conversation.

So if a family goes bad for some reason and you decide to import an old
package of that family in an attempt to restore them, you can end up
doubling the number of character files you have in the neighborhood
folder by doing that.

As for me, Pleasantview and Veronaville, the two neighborhoods I play
most often, both are pushing 600 character files. I'd say somewhere
between 350-500 are genuine sims.

May 17, 2005 11:39:23 AM

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you
> possibly have that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a
> limit I hope it's quite high. Even including all townies, etc that
> seems loads.

Stupid ISP, didn't mean to post that twice, sorry.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:11:15 PM

> "Guardian Pegasus"

>> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>>
>> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
>> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
>> many you can have... probably not.
>>

> Remember also that by characters it includes all npc's and townies, not
> just the ones you have created.

Quite. I am running 44 Sims.
One neighbourhood, Little Dumpling.16 families comprising:
Adults -male 17; female 15
Teens -male 3
Children -male 4; female 4
1 toddling male thing.

Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
No wonder the files are so large.

Granny. Startled.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:15:44 PM

I have one neighborhood
> I named "Mortgage Row" that I just use for building and packaging lots,

Wow! That's a good name!!!
I called mine 'Building Site'. Not half so imaginative.

And don;t the tourists come rushing round in their cars?
91 NPCs in there.

GG
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:18:13 PM

"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D Ghie.33407

> Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
> Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
> No wonder the files are so large.

I forgot about memories and ghosts.
Bound to be a few over the odds as I gathered families together from
Strangetown and that Pleasant place.

Why did Maxis give some of the sims whopping family trees?

GG
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:56:54 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:51:12 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Remember also that by characters it includes all npc's and townies, not just
>the ones you have created.

Aye. But it also seems to pre-create some sims. For instance, when you
start a new dorm, it fills up with people... people never seen before,
but the number of character files hardly increases sometimes. So is it
deleting the old ones? *shrug* I'll move someone back into a dorm I've
left tomorrow and see.

>I have 3 neighborhoods, none of which is of the original 3. There is 'Smoky
>Mountains', 'Wide Open Spaces' and 'StoryTime'. In total, maybe 6 families,
>lol.

Oy... I have dozens on families :-)
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:02:45 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 06:37:18 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>222 living in Pleasantville, but that probably includes all the dead ones

Possibly, what with the new ressurection phone and all... dunno if
there's a time limit on it.

>that came with the game and might even include the NPCs too, I don't know.
>I haven't played the other two Maxis neighborhoods. I have one neighborhood
>I named "Mortgage Row" that I just use for building and packaging lots, so
>there shouldn't be any characters in there but it shows 149 characters
>anyway. I've never put a single sim into a house there, never even created
>a sim for the family bin.

LOL wow... nowhere near that many in my empty neighbourhoods. And it
also seems like the game adds the same default neighbourhood sims over
and over... very annoying... so I always wipe the directory before I
start playing for real.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:14:14 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 07:39:21 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
wrote:

>How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
>I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
>a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
>many you can have... probably not.

I just had a look, with the SimPE SimBrowser... it looks like half my
damn sims are members of the households "Livingston" and "Cormier"...
in other words, NPC households...

The dead sims are listed as "No character file, unlinked". Apparently
the game doesn't delete characters... ever.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:16:40 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:11:15 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
<marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Quite. I am running 44 Sims.
>One neighbourhood, Little Dumpling.16 families comprising:
>Adults -male 17; female 15
>Teens -male 3
>Children -male 4; female 4
>1 toddling male thing.
>>
>Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
>Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
>No wonder the files are so large.

Well... NPCs per say are pretty much created on request, when a need
arises. There are usually 3 of each, gardener, social bunny, maid,
paperboy etc. but when it comes to University it seems it creates like
a hundred or two hundred student sims to populate campus...
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:16:41 PM

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message

>>Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
>>Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
>>No wonder the files are so large.
>
> Well... NPCs per say are pretty much created on request, when a need
> arises. There are usually 3 of each, gardener, social bunny, maid,
> paperboy etc. but when it comes to University it seems it creates like
> a hundred or two hundred student sims to populate campus...

Simquakes have hit all my universities. They are no more.. Alas. 8))))

GG
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:20:12 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:18:13 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
<marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Why did Maxis give some of the sims whopping family trees?

Credibility? *shrug*
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:20:13 PM

in message news:h9aj81l07d9ih6eka34otnq2qplre52u9e@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:18:13 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
> <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Why did Maxis give some of the sims whopping family trees?
>
> Credibility? *shrug*

Eeek! You mean like making Death your daddy?

GG
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:01:41 PM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

>How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
>I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
>a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
>many you can have... probably not.
>

>To find out, look in
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
>2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
>
>Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

Hmm I also have 279 in a custom built 'hood, maybe the game always
spawns that number, because I only have about 8 families (no kids) in it.

---Sandra
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:44:54 PM

Well, mine is 388 but they are certainly not all mine - the game keeps
several copies of some individuals (you can see them in SimPE), there are
NPCs and also copies of any individuals who have died or you have deleted.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.
>

> To find out, look in
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
> 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
>
> Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:05:48 PM

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.

I have 630 files in that directory. I think maybe a lot of them are repair
persons thanks to the slowdown bug. In Strangetown I have 379... I guess
that's because of University because I don't have that many people living in
the town.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:05:49 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:05:48 +1000, "Whogus the Whatsler"
<who@what.sler> wrote:

>I have 630 files in that directory. I think maybe a lot of them are repair
>persons thanks to the slowdown bug. In Strangetown I have 379... I guess

Repair persons?

>that's because of University because I don't have that many people living in
>the town.

Aye. It has to make lots of students for each dorm. I have only 4
dorms, all of them small. If you have lots of big dorms 15 rooms etc.
well, then, it'll make a whole lot of students hehe.
May 17, 2005 10:36:41 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:44:55 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>And all on your sodding C drive under My Documents.

You can move it somewhere else if you don't want in My Documents.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:56:50 PM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> LOL wow... nowhere near that many in my empty neighbourhoods.
> And it
> also seems like the game adds the same default neighbourhood
> sims over
> and over... very annoying... so I always wipe the directory
> before I
> start playing for real.

Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play with
my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I start
in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
Ones?

T.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:40:41 AM

Mine contains 447.
I was surprised at that many!

Dim Sim

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.
>

> To find out, look in
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
> 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
>
> Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:40:42 AM

240 only, in Georgtown.

-georg
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:25:56 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:01:41 GMT, Sanantone
<shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hmm I also have 279 in a custom built 'hood, maybe the game always
>spawns that number, because I only have about 8 families (no kids) in it.

I think it's coincidence. I made another dorm this morning and now
have 280, hehe.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:30:51 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play with
>my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I start
>in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
>Ones?

Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously (gardeners,
social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
(highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as I can
tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've grown
to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per say.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:17:27 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
>
> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> many you can have... probably not.

Limit probably depends on your computer. When you're getting three
frame per second, you have too many Sims. ;-)

I have a lot too, though not anything like 279. 80 maybe. I too pretty
much play one neighborhood, Pleasantview. I even moved one family I
like a lot from Strangetown, where I created them, to Pleasantview, just
so the kids wouldn't bring weird-looking aliens home from school with
them. And I didn't want my Sim daughter gettin' preggers with some
alien!! :-)

--Cuth
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:44:58 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
> wrote:
>> Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play
>> with
>> my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I
>> start
>> in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
>> Ones?
> Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously
> (gardeners,
> social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
> (highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as
> I can
> tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've
> grown
> to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per
> say.

Good, good! Thanks. I won't need to PE colleague's out of their
relationships every other day anymore :-)

T.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:33:49 PM

You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood screen:

deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the neighbourhood
(including any you've created, so be warned).

Best wishes
Maxon

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Guardian Pegasus wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
> > wrote:
> >> Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play
> >> with
> >> my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I
> >> start
> >> in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
> >> Ones?
> > Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously
> > (gardeners,
> > social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
> > (highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as
> > I can
> > tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've
> > grown
> > to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per
> > say.
>
> Good, good! Thanks. I won't need to PE colleague's out of their
> relationships every other day anymore :-)
>
> T.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:38:04 PM

Maxon wrote:

> You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood
> screen:
>
> deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the
> neighbourhood (including any you've created, so be warned).

I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
wiping out the Character folder? Good!

T.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:38:55 AM

Well, I think so - I've not actually used it but that's what it said on the
packet (so to speak). Let us know if you try it then?

> Maxon wrote:
>
> > You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood
> > screen:
> >
> > deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the
> > neighbourhood (including any you've created, so be warned).
>
> I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
> neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
> wiping out the Character folder? Good!
>
> T.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:49:34 AM

Townies spawn when you go to community lots, just as service Sims spawn as
required. There is a mod at Variousimmers to stop townie and Uni Sim
spawning all together.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

in message news:q0lk81lsgl6g2r843uofpf7boct3vh77tr@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> >Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play with
> >my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I start
> >in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
> >Ones?
>
> Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously (gardeners,
> social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
> (highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as I can
> tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've grown
> to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per say.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:50:21 AM

It wipes the Character folder clean, I can attest to that. It is wonderful.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

news:p BOie.15724$he1.11755@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> Well, I think so - I've not actually used it but that's what it said on
the
> packet (so to speak). Let us know if you try it then?
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Maxon wrote:
> >
> > > You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood
> > > screen:
> > >
> > > deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the
> > > neighbourhood (including any you've created, so be warned).
> >
> > I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
> > neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
> > wiping out the Character folder? Good!
> >
> > T.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:52:52 AM

http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t...

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
> >
> > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
> > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
> > many you can have... probably not.
>
> I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you possibly
have
> that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a limit I hope it's
> quite high. Even including all townies, etc that seems loads.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:55:10 AM

Ah - thanks

Best
Maxon

> It wipes the Character folder clean, I can attest to that. It is
wonderful.

> --
> Morituri Nolumus Mori
>
> MM

> news:p BOie.15724$he1.11755@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> > Well, I think so - I've not actually used it but that's what it said on
> the
> > packet (so to speak). Let us know if you try it then?
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >

> > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

> > > I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
> > > neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
> > > wiping out the Character folder? Good!
> > >
> > > T.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:02:15 PM

Sorry. Don't know how I even managed to post this to this thread. It was
meant for another thread entirely.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM