POLL: How many sims

How many sims in your neighbourhoods?

I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
many you can have... probably not.

To find out, look in

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters

Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.
36 answers Last reply
More about poll sims

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.
    >

    > To find out, look in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    > 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
    >
    > Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

    Remember also that by characters it includes all npc's and townies, not just
    the ones you have created.

    I have 3 neighborhoods, none of which is of the original 3. There is 'Smoky
    Mountains', 'Wide Open Spaces' and 'StoryTime'. In total, maybe 6 families,
    lol.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.

    I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you possibly have
    that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a limit I hope it's
    quite high. Even including all townies, etc that seems loads.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.
    >

    > To find out, look in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    > 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
    >
    > Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

    222 living in Pleasantville, but that probably includes all the dead ones
    that came with the game and might even include the NPCs too, I don't know.
    I haven't played the other two Maxis neighborhoods. I have one neighborhood
    I named "Mortgage Row" that I just use for building and packaging lots, so
    there shouldn't be any characters in there but it shows 149 characters
    anyway. I've never put a single sim into a house there, never even created
    a sim for the family bin.

    Jeanie

    Granny Grumpling wrote:

    > Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?

    > Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
    > No wonder the files are so large.

    If you import a family that's been packaged, all the sims mentioned in
    memories of the sims in the package are created when you place that
    family in your neighborhood. For example, I import a family that had
    memories of 200 sims, my folder will show 200 sims added in addition to
    however many people were in the family, no matter if those 200 sims are
    originally from the neighborhood I just imported the family into. It
    needs to do this in order for your sims' memories to function properly.
    If the game didn't do this, your game could crash any time anyone in
    that family had a conversation.

    So if a family goes bad for some reason and you decide to import an old
    package of that family in an attempt to restore them, you can end up
    doubling the number of character files you have in the neighborhood
    folder by doing that.

    As for me, Pleasantview and Veronaville, the two neighborhoods I play
    most often, both are pushing 600 character files. I'd say somewhere
    between 350-500 are genuine sims.

    Will Bradshaw wrote:
    > I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you
    > possibly have that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a
    > limit I hope it's quite high. Even including all townies, etc that
    > seems loads.

    Stupid ISP, didn't mean to post that twice, sorry.

    > "Guardian Pegasus"

    >> How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >>
    >> I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    >> a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    >> many you can have... probably not.
    >>

    > Remember also that by characters it includes all npc's and townies, not
    > just the ones you have created.

    Quite. I am running 44 Sims.
    One neighbourhood, Little Dumpling.16 families comprising:
    Adults -male 17; female 15
    Teens -male 3
    Children -male 4; female 4
    1 toddling male thing.

    Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
    Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
    No wonder the files are so large.

    Granny. Startled.

    I have one neighborhood
    > I named "Mortgage Row" that I just use for building and packaging lots,

    Wow! That's a good name!!!
    I called mine 'Building Site'. Not half so imaginative.

    And don;t the tourists come rushing round in their cars?
    91 NPCs in there.

    GG

    "Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
    > Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
    > No wonder the files are so large.

    I forgot about memories and ghosts.
    Bound to be a few over the odds as I gathered families together from
    Strangetown and that Pleasant place.

    Why did Maxis give some of the sims whopping family trees?

    GG

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:51:12 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

    >Remember also that by characters it includes all npc's and townies, not just
    >the ones you have created.

    Aye. But it also seems to pre-create some sims. For instance, when you
    start a new dorm, it fills up with people... people never seen before,
    but the number of character files hardly increases sometimes. So is it
    deleting the old ones? *shrug* I'll move someone back into a dorm I've
    left tomorrow and see.

    >I have 3 neighborhoods, none of which is of the original 3. There is 'Smoky
    >Mountains', 'Wide Open Spaces' and 'StoryTime'. In total, maybe 6 families,
    >lol.

    Oy... I have dozens on families :-)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 06:37:18 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >222 living in Pleasantville, but that probably includes all the dead ones

    Possibly, what with the new ressurection phone and all... dunno if
    there's a time limit on it.

    >that came with the game and might even include the NPCs too, I don't know.
    >I haven't played the other two Maxis neighborhoods. I have one neighborhood
    >I named "Mortgage Row" that I just use for building and packaging lots, so
    >there shouldn't be any characters in there but it shows 149 characters
    >anyway. I've never put a single sim into a house there, never even created
    >a sim for the family bin.

    LOL wow... nowhere near that many in my empty neighbourhoods. And it
    also seems like the game adds the same default neighbourhood sims over
    and over... very annoying... so I always wipe the directory before I
    start playing for real.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 07:39:21 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
    wrote:

    >How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    >I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    >a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    >many you can have... probably not.

    I just had a look, with the SimPE SimBrowser... it looks like half my
    damn sims are members of the households "Livingston" and "Cormier"...
    in other words, NPC households...

    The dead sims are listed as "No character file, unlinked". Apparently
    the game doesn't delete characters... ever.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:11:15 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Quite. I am running 44 Sims.
    >One neighbourhood, Little Dumpling.16 families comprising:
    >Adults -male 17; female 15
    >Teens -male 3
    >Children -male 4; female 4
    >1 toddling male thing.
    >>
    >Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
    >Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
    >No wonder the files are so large.

    Well... NPCs per say are pretty much created on request, when a need
    arises. There are usually 3 of each, gardener, social bunny, maid,
    paperboy etc. but when it comes to University it seems it creates like
    a hundred or two hundred student sims to populate campus...

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message

    >>Folder says 359 characters. It takes 305 NPCs to run a neighbourhood?
    >>Strewth. That's practically 7 NPCs to each Sim. Huh.
    >>No wonder the files are so large.
    >
    > Well... NPCs per say are pretty much created on request, when a need
    > arises. There are usually 3 of each, gardener, social bunny, maid,
    > paperboy etc. but when it comes to University it seems it creates like
    > a hundred or two hundred student sims to populate campus...

    Simquakes have hit all my universities. They are no more.. Alas. 8))))

    GG

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:18:13 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Why did Maxis give some of the sims whopping family trees?

    Credibility? *shrug*

    in message news:h9aj81l07d9ih6eka34otnq2qplre52u9e@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:18:13 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    > <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Why did Maxis give some of the sims whopping family trees?
    >
    > Credibility? *shrug*

    Eeek! You mean like making Death your daddy?

    GG

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    >How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    >I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    >a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    >many you can have... probably not.
    >

    >To find out, look in
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    >2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
    >
    >Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

    Hmm I also have 279 in a custom built 'hood, maybe the game always
    spawns that number, because I only have about 8 families (no kids) in it.

    ---Sandra

    Well, mine is 388 but they are certainly not all mine - the game keeps
    several copies of some individuals (you can see them in SimPE), there are
    NPCs and also copies of any individuals who have died or you have deleted.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.
    >

    > To find out, look in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    > 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
    >
    > Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.

    I have 630 files in that directory. I think maybe a lot of them are repair
    persons thanks to the slowdown bug. In Strangetown I have 379... I guess
    that's because of University because I don't have that many people living in
    the town.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:05:48 +1000, "Whogus the Whatsler"
    <who@what.sler> wrote:

    >I have 630 files in that directory. I think maybe a lot of them are repair
    >persons thanks to the slowdown bug. In Strangetown I have 379... I guess

    Repair persons?

    >that's because of University because I don't have that many people living in
    >the town.

    Aye. It has to make lots of students for each dorm. I have only 4
    dorms, all of them small. If you have lots of big dorms 15 rooms etc.
    well, then, it'll make a whole lot of students hehe.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:44:55 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >And all on your sodding C drive under My Documents.

    You can move it somewhere else if you don't want in My Documents.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    > LOL wow... nowhere near that many in my empty neighbourhoods.
    > And it
    > also seems like the game adds the same default neighbourhood
    > sims over
    > and over... very annoying... so I always wipe the directory
    > before I
    > start playing for real.

    Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play with
    my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I start
    in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
    Ones?

    T.

    Mine contains 447.
    I was surprised at that many!

    Dim Sim

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:km0j815hopjut1pr7e6d9lmvkua3uri81k@4ax.com...
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.
    >

    > To find out, look in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    > 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters
    >
    > Drives, names, hood number etc. may of course vary.

    240 only, in Georgtown.

    -georg

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:01:41 GMT, Sanantone
    <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hmm I also have 279 in a custom built 'hood, maybe the game always
    >spawns that number, because I only have about 8 families (no kids) in it.

    I think it's coincidence. I made another dorm this morning and now
    have 280, hehe.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    >Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play with
    >my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I start
    >in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
    >Ones?

    Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously (gardeners,
    social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
    (highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as I can
    tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've grown
    to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per say.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    >
    > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > many you can have... probably not.

    Limit probably depends on your computer. When you're getting three
    frame per second, you have too many Sims. ;-)

    I have a lot too, though not anything like 279. 80 maybe. I too pretty
    much play one neighborhood, Pleasantview. I even moved one family I
    like a lot from Strangetown, where I created them, to Pleasantview, just
    so the kids wouldn't bring weird-looking aliens home from school with
    them. And I didn't want my Sim daughter gettin' preggers with some
    alien!! :-)

    --Cuth

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
    > wrote:
    >> Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play
    >> with
    >> my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I
    >> start
    >> in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
    >> Ones?
    > Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously
    > (gardeners,
    > social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
    > (highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as
    > I can
    > tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've
    > grown
    > to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per
    > say.

    Good, good! Thanks. I won't need to PE colleague's out of their
    relationships every other day anymore :-)

    T.

    You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood screen:

    deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the neighbourhood
    (including any you've created, so be warned).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:

    > You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood
    > screen:
    >
    > deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the
    > neighbourhood (including any you've created, so be warned).

    I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
    neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
    wiping out the Character folder? Good!

    T.

    Well, I think so - I've not actually used it but that's what it said on the
    packet (so to speak). Let us know if you try it then?

    > Maxon wrote:
    >
    > > You can actually do it with a cheat in the Neighbourhood
    > > screen:
    > >
    > > deleteAllCharacters - which will remove every sim from the
    > > neighbourhood (including any you've created, so be warned).
    >
    > I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
    > neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
    > wiping out the Character folder? Good!
    >
    > T.

    Townies spawn when you go to community lots, just as service Sims spawn as
    required. There is a mod at Variousimmers to stop townie and Uni Sim
    spawning all together.

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    in message news:q0lk81lsgl6g2r843uofpf7boct3vh77tr@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:56:50 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    > >Can you do that? Because I hate townies and I want to play with
    > >my own sims only. If I wipe the Character folder before I start
    > >in an new neighbourhood, will it be clean of the Badly Dressed
    > >Ones?
    >
    > Yes you can... however, it'll spawn new NPCs obviously (gardeners,
    > social bunnies, teachers etc.) and a *few* new townies I think
    > (highschool students, community lot clerks etc. only as far as I can
    > tell), but it won't spawn the default ones, which at least I've grown
    > to hate... and I don't think it spawns any adult "townies" per say.

    It wipes the Character folder clean, I can attest to that. It is wonderful.

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t=431

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    "Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    > Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    > >
    > > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > > many you can have... probably not.
    >
    > I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you possibly
    have
    > that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a limit I hope it's
    > quite high. Even including all townies, etc that seems loads.

    Ah - thanks

    Best
    Maxon

    > It wipes the Character folder clean, I can attest to that. It is
    wonderful.

    > --
    > Morituri Nolumus Mori
    >
    > MM

    > > Well, I think so - I've not actually used it but that's what it said on
    > the
    > > packet (so to speak). Let us know if you try it then?
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > > Maxon
    > >

    > > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

    > > > I thought that only removed the ones you saw in the
    > > > neighbourhood, not the actual townies. But this does the same as
    > > > wiping out the Character folder? Good!
    > > >
    > > > T.

    Sorry. Don't know how I even managed to post this to this thread. It was
    meant for another thread entirely.

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    > http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t=431
    >
    > --
    > Morituri Nolumus Mori
    >
    > MM
    >

    > "Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    > > Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > > > How many sims in your neighbourhoods?
    > > >
    > > > I only have 1 hood at the moment, populated by 279 sims... lol. That's
    > > > a whole lot, ain't it? I wonder if there's any physical limit to have
    > > > many you can have... probably not.
    > >
    > > I looked at that number and thought 'bloody hell, how can you possibly
    > have
    > > that many?' Then I checked mine: 293. If there is a limit I hope it's
    > > quite high. Even including all townies, etc that seems loads.

Sims Games My Documents Video Games