Sign in with
Your question

Best router for gaming and wifi N?

Last response: in Networking
September 5, 2009 4:25:21 PM

I have a laptop with the new N wifi thing and I want a router with the packet prioritization something. What should I get?

More about : router gaming wifi

September 9, 2009 9:12:03 AM

what sort of budget are you looking at?

I personaly love Dlink's DIR-655 for cable
m
l
September 9, 2009 4:14:18 PM

I would certainly like cheaper (I can get that for
$90 refurbished).

But I forgot to mention, it needs to maintain full (or normal) wireless n speed while also operating with slower g devices at good g speeds. That and QoS are important. Good performance and stuff.

Can I get the same features for cheaper?

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dir-655/4505-331...
Ok I see here that the D Link is faster than all these competitors, but still faster with mixed n/g devices. It looses about 1/3 of its speed though. :( 
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2009 6:14:22 AM

I think you may be hard pushed to get better for less, the DIR-625 may be a bit cheaper but will probably have the same speed issue you looked at.

I think all wireless Ns will drop in speed when using multiple types of wireless conection, for example - http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wrt610n-simulta...;psum

A much more expensive router and while this one only drops by about 20% its only half the speed to start with.

I just I'll add - The Belkin N1, in my experiance, is very poor for gaming and large file downloads - I had 2 of these both sufered from an over heating bug that caused them to drop all wired/wireless conections multiple times a day for about half a second.
m
l
September 17, 2009 12:30:57 AM

Ok. New question, related. Can I make the DLINK operate in n-only mode at full speed while my old linksys runs in g mode on a different channel but still connect all computers to the same LAN?
m
l
September 18, 2009 3:44:38 AM

You sure can, but you might run into wireless interference issues running two wireless networking devices so near.
m
l
!