Best router for gaming and wifi N?

I have a laptop with the new N wifi thing and I want a router with the packet prioritization something. What should I get?
5 answers Last reply
More about best router gaming wifi
  1. what sort of budget are you looking at?

I personaly love Dlink's DIR-655 for cable
  2. I would certainly like cheaper (I can get that for
    $90 refurbished).

But I forgot to mention, it needs to maintain full (or normal) wireless n speed while also operating with slower g devices at good g speeds. That and QoS are important. Good performance and stuff.

Can I get the same features for cheaper?

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dir-655/4505-3319_7-32145084.html
    Ok I see here that the D Link is faster than all these competitors, but still faster with mixed n/g devices. It looses about 1/3 of its speed though. :(
  3. I think you may be hard pushed to get better for less, the DIR-625 may be a bit cheaper but will probably have the same speed issue you looked at.

I think all wireless Ns will drop in speed when using multiple types of wireless conection, for example - http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wrt610n-simultaneous-dual/4507-3319_7-33132573.html?tag=mncol;psum

A much more expensive router and while this one only drops by about 20% its only half the speed to start with.

I just I'll add - The Belkin N1, in my experiance, is very poor for gaming and large file downloads - I had 2 of these both sufered from an over heating bug that caused them to drop all wired/wireless conections multiple times a day for about half a second.
  4. Ok. New question, related. Can I make the DLINK operate in n-only mode at full speed while my old linksys runs in g mode on a different channel but still connect all computers to the same LAN?
  5. You sure can, but you might run into wireless interference issues running two wireless networking devices so near.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers WiFi and Home Networking Gaming Networking