Sign in with
Your question

System Problems

Last response: in Components
September 7, 2009 10:48:02 AM

My system spec:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 GHz
ASROCK K10N78FullHD-hSLI R3.0 Bios Ver: 2.0 (ONBOARD NVIDIA GEFORCE 8200 IN USE)
Corsair TX650 650W PSU
4 X 1GB DDR2 667
Windows XP Media Center x86 SP2
1 X IDE 160GB HDD, 1 X IDE 320GB HDD, 1 X SATA 500GB HDD, 1 X SATA 500GB HDD
1 X IDE NEC ND-4571A DVD-RW (CONNECTED VIA PCI IDE CARD)
1 X PCI IDE CARD
2 X 120CM FANS
1 X EXHAUST FAN

Since installing a new Corsair TX650 650W PSU i have encountered a few problems with my system. I originally had an Nvidia Geforce 8600GT card running, but took it out due to the problems that had developed.
I notice that burning DVD now takes considerably longer (almost 24 mins to write a 1.5GB video at x8) and that either watching video or listening to music whilst the DVD is being burnt is choppy and my laser mouse does not run up to parr.

I know Corsair is a reliable brand and I was assured that the 650W would run my spec. I removed my 8600GT completely, not replaced it, and removed and reseated all my ram. still problems! occasionally my system will freeze too. I also noticed that if i connected the floppy connector on the PSU to my floppy drive my system would not start at all

I have the option to set Multiplier/Voltage Change to Auto or Manual in the bios. It is currently set to auto by defalut, I am not sure if this could be an issue?

Latest firmware is installed on all applicable.

With regards to the DVD-RW drive, the jumper is set to cable select, it is the only device connected to my PCI IDE card.

Many thanks.

More about : system problems

September 7, 2009 11:59:34 AM

Sounds like a PWS problem... (HINT-HINT) when u plug in floppy drive, it quits... well try unpluging everything, that u dont need, like fans, cd-rom, floppy, any usb devices, and remove all pci cards, except vid... then try booting and see if it works better...

i bet its your power sup. your killing it some how... draining it... try taking mobo out of case, and plug one thing at a time, and boot it each time, and see what is useing all your power...

hope this helps
September 7, 2009 6:21:57 PM

Is this a new build or did something happen that made you replace the power supply?
Related resources
September 7, 2009 10:34:07 PM

Power Supply is definately capable, I run more off my 600W OCZ.

Assuming the PSU is not faulty, it'll be (as above) likely a single device is broken and draining excessive power. It'll be hard to find which.

If these problems existed on your old supply, then something is wrong. If it's ONLY on the new one, then I'd buy another supply, try it, and if that solves it then return the Corsar. 650W should be more than enough.
September 8, 2009 2:38:16 AM

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the CPU and HSF, the two power cables going to the motherboard,and case power switch. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating missing memory. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

It will look something like this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...
You can turn on the PC by shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes on.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.
September 8, 2009 3:42:26 AM

First of all, if you have made NO changes in your BIOS since the problems started it can't be a BIOS setting.

Troubleshooting:
1) Remove absolutely all hardware that is not necessary (including your DVD burner since it's not your only error)

2) Also remove all but one stick of RAM (see motherboard manual for RAM setup)

3) Open your case to observer your fans are working

4) Reinsert all connections (except what you've temporarily removed)

If this "solves" your problem begin adding components one at a time until your problem resurfaces. If this does NOT solve your problem try things from this list in order of ease:

1) Obtain a copy of Ubuntu LIVE CD, disconnect your hard drive and run from the CD only (this proves your hard drive OR Windows)
2) Run Memtest overnight
3) Try a different PSU
4) Run your mouse and keyboard from your PS2 connectors and do NOT use your USB bus

I guess I'm leaning towards a short in the motherboard electrical system like others have suggested. Hence the removal of all unnecessary devices.

September 8, 2009 3:48:31 AM

About Media Center XP:

I noticed you have SP2 not SP3. I installed MCE2005 on several computers and noticed something VERY ODD about updating. The only way to PROPERLY update this version of Windows is this way:

1) Install Windows from CD
2) Install ALL Windows or Microsoft updates (but do NOT, do NOT install SP3 yet)
3) Install SP3

For some odd reason installing SP3 right at the beginning prevented my properly updating the Media components. In fact, it produced errors in Windows. I tried this 6 months apart but haven't tried for over six months now. If you reinstall Windows or haven't yet upgraded to SP3 then keep this in mind.

Since you have SP2 you should:
1) obtain all Windows/Microsoft updates for SP2 (including "Optional" Windows ones except possibly drivers)
2) update to SP3

As for drivers, I'd be a little careful. Leave those until after SP3, then update one at a time (if you have any). Set a System Restore point prior to each one. For video drivers, get your updates from NVidia or ATI directly.
September 8, 2009 11:52:03 AM

thanks to everyone for your help. i will go through your tips at the weekend. i actually installed my copy of Vista Ultimate and the issue regarding the time it took to burn a DVD seemed to vanish? i ended up reinstalling XP Media Center edition and the problem returned? i only resorted to reinstalling XP as there was issues intializing my slave IDE HDD in Vista. Low and behold, I also had problems with initializing it in XP.

I intend to reinstall Vista first, until Windows 7 is released.

Many thanks again.

I had problems whilst installing either version of windows too, with a
Stop: 0X000000F4 BSOD on a couple of occasions. I did not remove the PCI IDE card during installation, which I would imagine may cause problems installing windows?

I noticed that my 8600GT card, which has passive heatpipe cooling, got extremely hot after running for a few minutes. maybe it has had its day!
September 8, 2009 12:00:25 PM

foa kata. The original AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 GHz ended up overheating and i upgraded the processor to a new 6000+, replaced an asus M2N4-SLI board with the Asrock and removed an Akasa PowerMax 1000w PSU for the Corsair. The Akasa PSU became very noisy very quickly and I am sending it off as it is under warranty.
!