HD204UI inconsistent performance

mojoome

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Hi, i've got a Samsung HD204UI 2 TB harddrive, but the benchmark result is pretty inconsistent. What should i do?

r7788602dfef.PNG

adrianbm

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

It could be due the vibration transmitted to the hard disk from another hardware or unproper enclosure resonance. Try benchmarking with the drive disconnected from the case firmily laid on a rubber (or similar) mat, to discard this posibility.

Few months ago I was setting up a raid 0 with two Seagate 1TB drives and was getting similar drop-outs for specific intervals. Changing position, and support for the drives with rubbery foam from a pool stick eventually solved the problem. It seems that the natural vibration of the drive changes as the head moves along the benchmark and could enter in resonance with another drive, hardware, or even the natural harmonic of the support, causing the drive to spin down to cope. For instance empty cardboard boxes make a terrible support. Position also counts - I have obtained best results with the drives in 'standard' case position - no laying on sides or belly-up.

Hope you get your problem solved and post back your findings. I was looking to buy this drive for myself to backup the mentioned raid 0.