Sign in with
Your question

Deleting a Corrupted File on an External HD

Last response: in Storage
February 8, 2011 2:56:36 PM

Hey guys!
Okay I have a problem with my External Hard Drive. I was downloading a decent sized file (about 4 gigs or so) when it completed a bit before it should have (when it was only about 3.95 gigs downloaded.)

Now it is a Corrupted File Archive. I believe my HDD is formatted as NTFS I ran Chkdsk.exe and it did a scan but I don't know if it scanned everything plugged in, or like just my normal HDD on the Computer itself. Either way, it found no errors that it can repair. I tried to "Cut" the file out, but that simply leaves part of the file there. I would assume the part that is corrupted at that! So that didn't help.

I saw on a Q&A somewhere that showed up on Google, it was said I would have to reformat my drive. Oh my, I really really really hope that is not the case! I heard something about starting in 'Safe Mode' and trying to delete them from Safe mode as well...

So then my Question is, How do I delete a Corrupt or Unreadable file off of an NTFS Format External HDD? (Without Just Telling Me to Reformat it... I am really hoping my Only Option is not Reformatting.......)

Thanks so so so so very much in advance!

More about : deleting corrupted file external

a c 143 G Storage
February 8, 2011 3:58:15 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware...

for Chkdsk.exe... you need to follow these steps for the actual hard drive (external)

• Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type chkdsk /f <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of the drive on which the damaged file, folder or file system index exists.
  • Click OK.
    m
    l
    February 8, 2011 5:58:38 PM

Okay well I went to run and typed chkdsk /f G
    then a command prompt box opened and closed so fast it
    was like a flash on the screen. It doesn't run normally unless
    I right click it from the start menu and say Run as Administrator.
    Even then it only functions in the manner of 'Read Only' since it
    didn't have anything specified.

I don't understand what I need to do now... =/
    m
    l
    Related resources
    February 8, 2011 5:59:43 PM

Oh and im not sure if its helpful or not, but my computer is an ACER laptop running Vista.
    m
    l
    a c 143 G Storage
    February 8, 2011 7:17:36 PM

It would be " chkdsk /f G: " for the checkdisk scan information (without the " "). It shouldn't matter that it is a laptop or not.
    m
    l
    April 26, 2011 10:07:50 AM

tecmo34 said:
    It would be " chkdsk /f G: " for the checkdisk scan information (without the " "). It shouldn't matter that it is a laptop or not.

Thanks for your suggestion. Was setting up old hard drive as an external HD and could not delete 1 particular .apk file. Showed corrupted and no matter what I did could not get rid of the damn thing. chkdsk worked great.
    m
    l
    !