Deleting a Corrupted File on an External HD

Hey guys!
Okay I have a problem with my External Hard Drive. I was downloading a decent sized file (about 4 gigs or so) when it completed a bit before it should have (when it was only about 3.95 gigs downloaded.)

Now it is a Corrupted File Archive. I believe my HDD is formatted as NTFS I ran Chkdsk.exe and it did a scan but I don't know if it scanned everything plugged in, or like just my normal HDD on the Computer itself. Either way, it found no errors that it can repair. I tried to "Cut" the file out, but that simply leaves part of the file there. I would assume the part that is corrupted at that! So that didn't help.

I saw on a Q&A somewhere that showed up on Google, it was said I would have to reformat my drive. Oh my, I really really really hope that is not the case! I heard something about starting in 'Safe Mode' and trying to delete them from Safe mode as well...

So then my Question is, How do I delete a Corrupt or Unreadable file off of an NTFS Format External HDD? (Without Just Telling Me to Reformat it... I am really hoping my Only Option is not Reformatting.......)

Thanks so so so so very much in advance!
answers
Last reply
More about deleting corrupted file external
  1. Welcome to Tom's Hardware...

for Chkdsk.exe... you need to follow these steps for the actual hard drive (external)

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type chkdsk /f <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of the drive on which the damaged file, folder or file system index exists.
    Click OK.
  2. Okay well I went to run and typed chkdsk /f G
    then a command prompt box opened and closed so fast it
    was like a flash on the screen. It doesn't run normally unless
    I right click it from the start menu and say Run as Administrator.
    Even then it only functions in the manner of 'Read Only' since it
    didn't have anything specified.

I don't understand what I need to do now... =/
  3. Oh and im not sure if its helpful or not, but my computer is an ACER laptop running Vista.
  4. It would be " chkdsk /f G: " for the checkdisk scan information (without the " "). It shouldn't matter that it is a laptop or not.
  5. tecmo34 said:
    It would be " chkdsk /f G: " for the checkdisk scan information (without the " "). It shouldn't matter that it is a laptop or not.

Thanks for your suggestion. Was setting up old hard drive as an external HD and could not delete 1 particular .apk file. Showed corrupted and no matter what I did could not get rid of the damn thing. chkdsk worked great.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Storage