First attempt at watercooling...be gentle

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Okay I'm thinking of starting with this and upgrading down the road. Do I need anything else...besides water of course?

wg-order

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Whoops! Sorry about that.

Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm

x2 Bitspower 1/2 x 5/8 Compression fittings

Swiftech MCP655 / D5 Vario 12v DC Pump - with Speed Controller

Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir

Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing

Swiftech Apogee XT (R2) revision 2

My sugestion is quite simple: Search forums and read as much information as possible. I bought my watercooling and i got "lucky" by not going wrong with my choice, but it could have been a disaster.

Dont blindly listen to what people say, pcs are like cars: there are so many models becouse not everyone wants/can afford the same.

My sugestion is that you factor the costs and benefits, then decide whenever its worth it or not. Good luck!

Overall those are good watercooling parts. (even too good maybe? :D). You might want to get a diffrent (better) radiator since you have such good parts. I cant tell you whats the best one, but there are a lot of reviews out there that might get you a decent idea.

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Awesome! Thanks for your reply. I'll keep looking at rads and see what I can find out. I just started researching watercooling this week so I'm sure I will change some things. I think that the bulk of my confusion comes from the fittings. What will fit on what? Anywho thanks again for your reply.

Take some more time, we'll be here.
Tubing ID/OD needs to match comps. ID/OD

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I'm just cooling my CPU right now, but I'd like to do both of my 5970's down the road. I would like to overclock a little but not where it started to make my system noisy. So I'd say Mild-to-mid range over clock of my i7 2600k for now but capable of doing multiple video cards later, however it must run silent. Cost is of no concern.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
800D is good looking case all tho it have small problem ..Air flow,there for it requires some moding ,specially when you want to include two good size RAD's in your set up,for "quite set up" ~single CPU/GPU i would recommend 360 RAD on top 8~10 FPI (fins per inch)+1150~1400 RPM fans
RAD;
XSPC RX360
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsrx3xrare2.html
Hardware Labs SR1-360
http://www.koolertek.com/computer-parts/pc/Hardware-Labs-SR1-360-Radiator-202p2308.htm
or ThermoChill PA120.3 if you can find it;
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3944
for CPU/2x5970's you would have to get one more duall rad and install it on the bottom of the case,all the above is based on highly overclocked CPU/gpu's (good temps and quite)
fans;
http://www.aquatuning.us/product_info.php/info/p6623_Scythe-Gentle-Typhoon-Fan-1450-rpm---120x120x25mm--.html/XTCsid/v1r1tf4u89l3uf5adicr0p7o17dghp33

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Your awesome! Thanks for the tip ortoklaz. I'll go with the XSPC and the Scynth Gentle Typhoons. I've also been looking at the XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in Reservoir but I'm not sure. Any pros or cons to between one res or another?

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Okay so here is where I'm at.

Swiftech MCP655 / D5 Vario 12v DC Pump - with Speed Controller

XSPC RX360 - 3x120mm Radiator Rev. 2

Monsoon - Black with Black Trim - Premium - D5 Dual Bay Reservoir

Now for the CPU block. I was set on the Swiftech Apogee XT (R2) revision 2

but I saw that the XSPC Rasa was right there with the Apogee. What do you guys think? Remember I'm looking for mild-mid range overclock but running as quiet as possible.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Are you set on the 655? You could also run the 355 just fine, or if you wanted the top of the line Laing pump...the 35x is better than both and the size of the 355.

I run the 655 and its a great pump...it's big, but had it running for 6+ years or so.

XSPC RX rad...nice choice.

Monsoon res...pricey, but they look cool.

Either the Apogee or Rasa block will perform well. It really is a matter of choice for most people and you wouldn't really know a 1-2C difference if there was one depending on your loop. The CPU block won't impact your noise levels and both will be a good performer...so pick the one that fits your budget and style. I don't think you'd be disappointed either way.

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Which pump do you thing would be more quiet? I mostly wanted the 655 because it fits with the Monsoon res so nice. But I guess I could go either way. I like the res that you can set on top of the 35x too. Hmm...I'm just trying to weigh the pro's and con's.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
no.. you buy any fittings you desire,if you haven't purchase the monsoon yet ..might want to wait ,after analyzing the mounting system i'm a bit worry about vibration once installed in to the case ,i let you know how bad it is (probably get it installed this weekend)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The monsoon is nice and it would help any of the noise the 655 generates by isolating the vibrations within the acrylic of the res, but it's hard to say...I've never messed with one, so I can't really say. The MCP35x is PWM capable and will speed up/slow down based on your temps as monitored from your motherboard...similar to your CPU fan. It's a nice feature that isn't offered on most other pumps.

There are other res/tops for the 655 and the 350/355/35x, so it's a matter of choice. Almost all the tops for the DDC pumps help in the flow and head pressure. The 35x is kind of a different beast as that top was designed specifically for the pump to perform how it does. It might not help/hurt by adding a top/res either, but I don't know if you'd see the same improvements a top has made for the 350/355's in the past.

Tops for the 655 help by allowing compression fittings, different port angles, and flow rate improvements along with head pressure increases.

Shanester

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Okay, thanks for being the guinea pig. :D

Let me know how it goes.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

you have 1MM and 2 MM rubber mount pads with adhesive backing that goes between the res and opposite rails,covered with machined dual 3mm iso-mounts and that's it