mike1447

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
Hello all, i just wanted to get some input on upgrading my system. I am looking to replace my mobo and upgrade my memory. I currently am running on a evga 680i and i hate it. The board has caused my memory to crap out and it is not a really good board for the cpu i have. I was looking at this board possibly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128368. Also what is the rule on using server memory in a gaming rig? Will it still preform well? I found a couple chips that are in my price range but on the item listing they say server memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148219, http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-OCZ2VU8008GK-PC2-6400-Upgrade-Channel/dp/B001DHJLEK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top.

Current system
mobo: evga 680i sli
gpu: evga 8800gts
cpu: Q6600 G0
ram: corsair xms2 2gb 1066
psu: antec trio 550w
case: nzxt zero

The mobo link shows a list of suggested alternatives, because the specific item was deactivated. The alternates include both Intel and AMD mobos, so I'd have to say that no conclusion can be drawn.
Unless the mobo will accept ECC memory, then no. Use DDR2-800 that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.
It is possible that such memory may work on your current 680i board. The Corsair you have is a factory overclock which requires more voltage; vDroop on your mobo may be what's causing your memory problems.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
ecc memory only works with certain chipsets and cpu's, and those are 5xxx series for intel or opteron or FX series for AMD.

if you want good memory, spend the extra for some OCZ blade 1150mhz low voltage, then up the vdimm to 1.85v, lower the clock speed to 1066mhz (or 800, or 667 if you haven't OC'ed) and then lower the latency, you should get about CL3 for 1066mhz.

For any ram you are considering, do your own homework.
Go to the ram vendor's web site, and access their configurator.
Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, OCZ and others have them.
Their compatibility list is more current than the motherboard vendor's QVL lists which rarely get updated.
Enter your mobo or PC, and get a list of compatible ram sticks.

Cpu performance is not very sensitive to ram speeds.
If you look at real application and game benchmarks(vs. synthetic tests),
you will see negligible difference in performance between the slowest and fastest ram.
Perhaps 1-2%. Not worth it to me.
Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings unless you are a maximum overclocker.

mike1447

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
i plan on upgrading to vista and possibly 16gb i will be switching the mobo soon and rma the 2gb i have now and using those for the time being. I probably will wait a little while before i buy new ram. I am just looking around and getting some in mind for when i change os. I was looking at the 2 x 4 instead of the 4 x 2 because of some stuff i read about how systems access the memory slots and if i get the memory before i get vista xp can only access two slots at a time, and i am looking to hold off on the vista change as long as possible.

A 32 bit OS(XP, Vista, or w-7) can access 4gb max, regardless of the ram configuration. IE: 1, 2, 4, 6 sticks. To access the full 4gb or more, you need a 64 bit os.