Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Alright following some recommendations i have bought the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 and it should arrive on the store soon and i'll pick it up. This will be the first time i remove and install a cpu cooler though so i'd like to know if i'm missing anything from the process (btw this is the cooler http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42...e=COOLERMASTER and my system is an E8400 on a Asus P5Q)

as for removing the old stock cooler:
- disconnect fan from mobo
- unscrew (not sure if the stock is a screw cooler though?)
- push it out
- use toilet paper with some alcohol to remove the old used up thermal paste
- clean again but without alcohol and wait 1 minute so any possible leftover alcohol evaporates

next:
- apply new thermal paste. I have one doubt here; i have seen that the direction you should apply it depends on whether it's a dual core or quad core. Mine is dual, but i'm still not certain the direction i should put it so i was thinking of applying a regular horizontal line along with a vertical line, just in case. But not much in each, i know too much paste = worse cooling.
- insert the new cooler with the fan mounted, screw it in (where though?) and connect the fan

Missing something/something wrong? Any pointers? Etc.

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
its not screw in, its eaiser. just turn the heads on the old one and it'll come out.
put thermal paste (no dif bet duo or quad, just make sure you have a thin layer across)
line up the new cooler, pop in the diagonals first
twist the top so its secured, repeat with each corner
(go in this order- up left, down right, up right, down left)

Yep that will work or any 100% cotton cloth or rag.
I've used an old t-shirt before but mostly use a good paper towel like Bounty.

Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Cool thanks. One more thing, somewhere else i was recommended to run a cpu heavy app 10~30 mins before i change the cooler so that the thermal compound and the heatsink itself is easier to remove after heating up, any truth to that?

Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Ok i've done it now

Tried yesterday and it went terribly, all things went wrong and afterwards the temps proved it; idle were the same and load temps were even higher than before. Either too much tp or the heatsink wasn't properly seated.

Today i tried it again and it's better. Was afraid at first because the idle temps were almost the same, about 3~ºC lower only, but on prime it went to 55ºC. I didn't run it long and it probably would have gone to maybe 58ºc at most if it ran for a lot fo time, but seems good no? I'd say room temp is probably 20ºc or something like that, don't really have something to measure it. Either way it's definitely much better than the first try which went to 70ºC with just 10 seconds of prime...