Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OCZ DDR3 Gold or Platinum with MA770T?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 25, 2009 8:26:47 PM

I'm planning on building a new computer this christmas and this friday is Black Friday, so I'm planning on getting a great deal on system memory.

I was originally going to buy a 4GB kit of OCZ Obsidian from newegg since it was only $60 after rebates, but the ratings were bad and the price jumped back up to around $75.

So I am wondering if OCZ Gold DDR3 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) of RAM would work with a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard.

It's about $75 from newegg, but there's also the OCZ Platinum that's only about $5 more (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

My question is:
Which one would be best compatible with my motherboard (and an AMD Phenom II X2 550BE)?
And if their compatibility is equal, should I spend the extra $5 for the Platinum?

Thanks
November 26, 2009 4:32:37 AM

Quote:
ok the 4GB kit of OCZ Obsidian is the fastest memory at 1600Mhz
No1 being the fastest No3 being the slowest

OCZ Obsidian is at 1600Mhz No1
OCZ plat you pick is at 1333Mhz No2
OCZ gold you pick is at 1066Mhz No3

You just rated them because of their speed, and I've read many times that speeds don't matter nearly as much as timings and quality. I know the Obsidian have pretty crappy quality, hence the very low price. But I'm most likely thinking about buying the OCZ Gold or the OCZ Platinum. I don't care too much about speed, I just care about compatibility with the MA770T motherboard and the quality.

Okay just to clear things up, will the OCZ Gold and the OCZ Platinum be compatible with the MA770T?
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 27, 2009 3:29:20 PM

The Platinum is actually the best deal; 'equivalent latencies' normalized to 1066 are 6-6-6-16 for both the Platinum and the Obsidian, but but the Platinum has a lower calculated average (at 8.2) than the Obsidian (at 8.5); no matter waht, to run faster than 1066 you will have to set it up manually, and high speeds (I believe) limit your DIMM count to 2...
Related resources
December 2, 2009 4:03:25 AM

Any of them should be compatible, that mother board supports ddr3 @ 1666+ OC. Read through some of the 5 egg reviews and you will probably see at least one person with each of those types as OCZ is pretty popular.

DDR3 1333 with tighter timings performs basically = to 1600 with looser timings. There is actually a guide on RAM scaling for Phenom II's on this site in the memory section on the main site if you care to read.

If I were to choose between them I would go with the platnum. You should jump on it now while it has the $10 off rebate, free shipping, and 10% off OCZ promo code!
m
l
December 3, 2009 12:30:04 AM

I actually decided to buy it all at the same time, that way I can save as much money as possible since the prices will most likely always continue to drop. I was going to wait until Christmas to purchase the rest of the parts I still need, but I want to buy an Xbox for christmas so I can play MW2 with all my friends :D 

So around spring or early summer I'll expect to purchase my parts, and by then everything will be loads cheaper and I could maybe get an i5 :D 

Who knows, I may just decide to wait until next christmas so I could maybe get an i7 build for about the same price I'm planning on spending now with a Phenom II X4 955BE build!
m
l
!