Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New 2500K Build Temperature Issues

Last response: in Overclocking
April 29, 2011 2:57:10 PM

Hi,

Long time reader but finally registered because I have a problem myself and couldn't seem to really find a answer online.

I just finished building my new system yesterday and am getting odd temperatures. I have not overclocked my CPU yet but I want to get a nice overclock around 4.5 GHz if possible. Originally I used some old AS5 but after reading about the shelf life of the compound I bought some new Shin-Etsu. I removed the AS5 and filled in the voids between the pipes and the block, scraped it with a credit card and the applied two half lines on the heat sink and installed it. That stuff is really hard to use as it's so thick!

CPU: SB 2500K
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ oriented to push air over the heatsink and out the top case exhaust fan (My PC backs up close to the wall).
Thermal Compound: Shin Etsu
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 Pro
PSU: Seasonic X650
GFX: EVGA GTX 570 OC

Temperatures from HWMonitor are as follows (sorry I couldn't upload a picture from work):

Idle within Windows 7...
Data: Current Min Max
CPU 0.97 0.94 1.21
VIN1 1.02 0.01 1.02
AVCC 3.39 0.03 3.39
3VCC 3.38 0.05 3.39
VIN4 1.01 0.01 1.02
VIN6 0.85 0.01 0.9
VIN5 0.01 0.01 0.01

Intel Core i5 2500K
Core #0 39C 37C 54C
Core #1 35C 32C 52C
Core #2 44C 41C 58C
Core #3 42C 39C 57C

Under load with Prime95...
Data: Current Min Max
VCORE 1.18 0.95 1.18
VIN1 1.02 0.01 1.02
AVCC 3.38 0.03 3.39
3VCC 3.38 0.05 3.39
VIN4 1.01 0.01 1.02
VIN6 0.77 0.01 0.9
VIN5 0.01 0.01 0.01

Intel Core i5 2500K
Core #0 52C 37C 53C
Core #1 49C 33C 51C
Core #2 57C 41C 58C
Core #3 56C 38C 56C

So my question is...aren't these temperatures really high being as I've not even overclocked yet? I expected my idle temps to be down around 28-32C and under non overclocked load to be around 40-45C.

Please provide whatever advice you can!

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

April 29, 2011 4:12:12 PM

Got the same CPU and motherboard. I am sat at 41 degrees idle @ 4.5ghz and 1.34 volts and it was around 38 degrees at stock voltage. Under full load its around 65 degrees on the highest core and 62 on the lowest.

I too was quite surprised by the temperature of the chip as people lead you to believe that they run in the mid 20's, I often ask, where the hell do these people live to get such low temps?! When you read around a bit more though, it seems anywhere between 35 and 45 seems the average for idle and high 50's, low 60's the average for load temperatures.

I am using a Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 x 120mm Apache fans, using AS5 and in push/pull configuration. Did you use an alchol based cleaner to clean the heatsink and CPU before applying the new stuff?

I use AIDA64 which shows you the lowest, highest and the average temp, so I am not quite sure what your temperatures are in relation to that as your idle temps are as high/higher than your load temps when you go off the far right column. If the far left column relates to your lowest temps though, they are pretty similar to mine and I'd say there is nothing to worry about.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 4:19:19 PM

^+1

My temps are lower, but that's because my machine is in the basement and I have a water cooling loop for the CPU.

If OP has HWMonitor starting with Windows, that could explain the high max idle temps -- all four cores are loaded to boot Windows up, then it idles after all the drivers are loaded and such.

Could lose a couple of degrees off those temps by installing a second fan on the heat sink.
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2011 4:22:48 PM

HWMonitor keeps a record for that session of the highest and lowest temps but no average. The "current temp" was the temperature at the time of the screen shot. I should have probably just removed the max mins from the post.

What bothers me is that your over clocked temperatures are what my stock temperatures are. Also why are some cores almost 10C different than another core? I suppose I should take the CPU up to 4.5GHz and see if my temps even change at all.

If I put my hand on the actual fins of the heat sink shouldn't they feel warm? Mine feel about the same as the ambient air. I'm just worried that I'm doing something wrong on my cooler mounting. I used isopropyl alcohol to wipe all of the AS5 off and dug out the old stuff from between the grooves.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 4:29:13 PM

surudos said:
What bothers me is that your over clocked temperatures are what my stock temperatures are. Also why are some cores almost 10C different than another core?

He's got a better cooler than you do. That explains the difference.

And the temps on a multi-core CPU often vary, sometimes by 10ºC. On mine, the difference between the coolest core and hottest one is 6ºC.

You could always try mounting the heatsink again. Clean off the heatsink and CPU and re-apply the Shin Etsu. Maybe you'll get a thinner more even layer.
m
l
April 29, 2011 4:40:52 PM

That's the thing, when you start to overclock, the temperatures don't change drastically, maybe 3-4 degrees at both ends of the scale. Obviously when you start going towards 4.6ghz and beyond, it requires quite a bit more voltage so the temps do shoot up, up to 4.5ghz though I'd be quite surprised if you got more than +5 degrees across the board on all cores.

The cores do post different temperatures so again, I wouldn't focus too much on that. It might be worth getting some Akasa Tim Cleaning fluid or similar alchol based solution and then with some paper towel, clean your cpu and heatsink a few times and leave it for a couple of minutes before wiping off. If you didn't properly clean the CPU before applying the new thermal paste then maybe there is a thin layer of AS5 still on there which is causing a conflict.

That's about all you can do and by doing it, at least you will satisfy yourself that there isn't a problem with the contact between cpu and heatsink. I honestly wouldn't worry though, set your overclock and run prime again.
m
l
April 29, 2011 4:52:06 PM

One more question then. Do you think it would benifit to rotate my 212+ 90 degrees to blow air out the back of the case vs. blowing it towards the top case fan? I'm wondering if the heat coming off the video card is potetitally causing probems. I oriented it this way so the heat pipes lay horizontal and allow the top exhaust to blow up into the room vs. out the back into the wall.

Thanks for your comments. I'll set the overclock when I get some time on Sunday and I'll see how Prime runs for a couple hours.

Update you next week.
m
l
April 29, 2011 4:56:53 PM

I didn't have a choice as the Prolimatech Megahalems fins are quite wide spread so I had to do it so that the air went toward the back of the case. If you have a 25mm fan on the top of your case it might be better to turn it that way, but again, if you read around there are people saying do it one way and others saying different.

You'd probably notice a bigger difference by adding a second fan, they are cheap enough to buy and I'd definitley recommend doing that.
m
l
May 2, 2011 1:13:47 AM

I overclocked it this evening. I started at 4.5GHz as it seems to be what a lot of people are doing. I've been running Prime95 Small FFTs for a bit over an hour.

I had to increase the voltage up to 1.31V to boot and run prime for more than an hour. We'll see if it keeps going over night and remains stable. So far I'm really surprised by my temps. I suppose giving the TIM time to cure and spread out helps =)

Here is what I have under load.

Core #0 58C
Core #1 60C
Core #2 67C
Core #3 65C

Not sure idle temps...we'll see after it's stable.

Looks like some people get lucky and can get to 4.5Ghz under 1.3V but most are around 1.33. Would you guys concur?

Thanks,
m
l
May 5, 2011 3:14:04 PM

Quote:
One more question then. Do you think it would benifit to rotate my 212+ 90 degrees to blow air out the back of the case vs. blowing it towards the top case fan? I'm wondering if the heat coming off the video card is potetitally causing probems. I oriented it this way so the heat pipes lay horizontal and allow the top exhaust to blow up into the room vs. out the back into the wall.

Thanks for your comments. I'll set the overclock when I get some time on Sunday and I'll see how Prime runs for a couple hours.

Update you next week.

I have it set so that my fan on top is an exhaust fan (blowing air out) due to hot air rising. You can blow it towards this fan, I don't see the harm. My i5 2500k sits at 32C idle as well, I think that's normal and I use a Scythe Mugen 2 heatsink. I also have 4 fans in the case and 1 heatsink fan and I try to run the AC in my room to keep the temperature cool as well.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2011 8:21:17 AM

Well it's pretty much summer already so what are you ambient temps when your running prime 95? I went back to stock settings on my i5 2500k because of my ambient temps...I use to get 30c on idle now im getting around 38c on a hot day...I'll probably overclock it again when winter comes lol..But honestly you don't really need to overclock this cpu..It's already fast no need for overclocking unless you wanna show off some benchmarks..
m
l
May 16, 2011 3:06:14 AM

Best answer selected by surudos.
m
l
!