No ID Address Mark Found on Floppy

07gw18

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
This problem is all over the net without an answer but I will try one more time. Most answers are bad disk, disk degradation, bad drive, hooked up wrong,quick format only, or bad drivers. I assure you that none of these answers are correct.
Floppies formatted on my GT5408 Gateway using Vista will work just fine. Older Floppies formatted on other computers will not work. I have tried the disks on other newer computers and they will not work. I feel like the Microsoft software will not support the older floppies. There may be software, a change of BIOS, register change or something that will help and if so what is it. I have over 100 floppies to recover data. Please Help!

You may want to install the DOSBox emulator & run from that.

Floppy drive heads can get misaligned, which meand that they can write and read disks they write, but can't read others, nor can disks written by them be read on other computers. It's like a key, if you have 10 machines that makes a single key type and a lock to match, the are all good. Then one gets a broken cog and the keys and locks that come out of there are missing a tooth. Now those keys from that machine are useless in other locks.

Replace the floppy drive on your PC with a new one. If you tried the disks in other computers, they are probably bad, unless they were formatted in some odd file system. Find an old machine to read them on, there are tons around. Heck, buy one for $40 off craigslist. Most will even have Win95 or 98 on them still.