Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Switch
  • Monitors
  • Keyboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
June 23, 2009 7:49:35 PM

My monitor just started taking a long time to come on.

I do not turn it off. It goes to sleep. On Off switch is orange. I go in and move my mouse bush buttons on keyboard and it turns green but flashes. It will come on eventually but it takes a long time. Can someone tell my what this could be? Do I just need to get a new monitor. I have been reading and trying to figure this out but no answers. Is this a symptom of a dying monitor.

thanks in advance,

Tracy

More about : takes monitor long time min

June 23, 2009 7:53:09 PM

Is it an LCD or CRT?
June 23, 2009 8:59:41 PM

Presuming that you've made no changes in the power options panel and this is a sudden change without anything else being done to the computer, then yes, this is a symptom of a dying monitor. I would guess that the capacitors that normally power the monitor up instantly are no longer doing their job, though something else might be the cause. In any case, unless its a very old monitor that uses tubes, the only cure is a new monitor.

However, to be sure of the diagnosis, you might try hooking your monitor up to a different computer and see what happens. If you don't have a separate computer, perhaps one that belongs to a friend. If the monitor starts up normally when connected to a different computer, that you have a problem in your computer. But if your monitor keeps up its tardy ways, then its time to save up for a new one.
Related resources
March 2, 2010 5:25:19 AM

Hi,

I have the same or at least similar problem.

If I turn it off and back on in next 1 hour everything is ok, but if I go to sleep and then in the morning try to turn it on, it takes around 7-10 mins to finaly wake up. It trys to turn on and then off, after 2 mins trys again ,... and this interval shortens to 1min,30 sec, 10 sec and then wakes up.

But if i press the reset button on the PC, then monitor wont have this problems anymore. It turns on instantly as the computer restarts. I changed the Power Supply but the problem is still there.

Problems is that if I take it to a servis to check the MB or something else they will say that everything is fine and I will jsut have to do 50kms and pay up some money for nothing:) 

But at least monitor is still on warranty. But the reset situation is pointing away from the monitor.

Thank you for your replys
August 13, 2010 9:32:11 PM

kompanjon said:
Hi,

I have the same or at least similar problem.

If I turn it off and back on in next 1 hour everything is ok, but if I go to sleep and then in the morning try to turn it on, it takes around 7-10 mins to finaly wake up. It trys to turn on and then off, after 2 mins trys again ,... and this interval shortens to 1min,30 sec, 10 sec and then wakes up.

But if i press the reset button on the PC, then monitor wont have this problems anymore. It turns on instantly as the computer restarts. I changed the Power Supply but the problem is still there.

Problems is that if I take it to a servis to check the MB or something else they will say that everything is fine and I will jsut have to do 50kms and pay up some money for nothing:) 

But at least monitor is still on warranty. But the reset situation is pointing away from the monitor.

Thank you for your replys

Definately replace it if you can as the problem is only going to get worse. It's like buying a used car but paying new price. My monitor has been doing this now for idk.. for months now.. sucks.. b/c it's only like 5 years old at the most.. and my CRT from 2002 is still going fine..
a c 225 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 14, 2010 4:02:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey