Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need faster game loading

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2011 1:16:31 AM

First off... I just want to apologize for having to post this... I know there are tons of posts out there asking similar questions but even after reading all of them I'm not quite sure what to do.

My goal is to increase game load speeds by quite a bit on my PC. After seeing how fast my XBOX can load games stored on its local storage it pains me to sit through very long loading periods on my PC. It's painful!

I'm not really concerned with space or trying to increase performance after the game is loaded. My main focus is decreasing the amount of time sitting at load screens so hopefully that will steer this thread in a different direction than others of a similar nature.

The basics:

Windows 7 x64
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

The big question is whether I stick with regular HD's or purchase a SSD. I really don't want to spend much more than $200 on this upgrade so that would leave me with a 128 GB SSD drive if I went that route. What I'm really wondering is how that would compare to a RAID 0 setup with 2 HD's I can get for the same amount of $$ and vastly increase the space. I know I said space isn't of concern but 128 GB would definitely be cutting it close when installing some larger games.

That being said, it appears my motherboard supports 2 SATA III HD's so that was naturally my first thing to research. After reading about them a bit it doesn't really sound like they're all that special right now and some 7200 rpm drives are outperforming them. So basically I'm wondering if it's even worth replacing my existing 7200 SATA II or to just get 1 more of those and slap it into RAID 0.

Annnnyyywaaays, I'm sure you're all bored to death with my blabber so I'll get down to the candidates.

• 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s -- $120
  • 2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 -- $70 (already have 1, so this is a bonus)
  • 2 x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s -- $340
  • 1 x Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State -- $265

So, those are my options unless someone has a better idea. I would love to hear your feedback on the best solution because the more I read the more I get tossed around between the options.

Thanks!
  • More about : faster game loading

Best solution

a c 302 G Storage
    February 9, 2011 12:35:08 PM

Welcome to the Forums (Fora?)

The most common approach to this issue is to get an SSD, read the excellent guide that Tecmo<some numbers> wrote on SSD tweaking, and do a fresh Windows7 install on the SSD. You will have to re-install all your apps, but that's the price we pay for beauty.

This is the stock solution for your clearly put "I'm not really concerned with space or trying to increase performance after the game is loaded. My main focus is decreasing the amount of time sitting at load screens... "

RAID zero will indeed increase your read speed, but it significantly increases the chance of drive failure, and you had better be doing whole-system backups. Some people are comfortable with it, some are not, and some have problems and post threads like "Two SSDs in RAID0 are slower than my old EIDE hard drive."

I play with RAID as a hobby, but my boot drive is an SSD. There are a few equally valid answers; you have to pick what works for you.
    a b G Storage
    February 9, 2011 1:17:00 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

You can't compare a console (XBOX) with your rig, why? Because you NEVER install the game in the XBOX, the games runs directly from the DVD while the computer run the games from the HD or SSD and not need the DVD for run the game.

Your current driver isn't one of the best in the market, that's the main problem on your games load time.

So, the reply to your question is pretty easy: Get and SSD and install the games there (and OS too), but apart of the killer load times in games, you won't see any performance increase.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    February 19, 2011 9:57:00 AM

Would it actually make sense for this guy to only install games on the SSD? That way a few more games would fit, and the OS loading times I figure don't have much effect on loading games.
    m
    l
    a c 143 G Storage
    February 19, 2011 1:47:37 PM

His best option is as mentioned by saint19 & WyomingKnott to go the SSD route.

You want to install the most used Apps and the most used games. 128GB drive is the ideal size to start with for a SSD. Once you get below that size, you are really only looking at an OS based and Apps bases drive, as games quickly take up much need storage space.

Here is the link WyomingKnott mentioned about: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
    m
    l
    February 28, 2011 11:06:52 PM

Best answer selected by zenoran.
    m
    l
    !