Bad default ram frequency?

bob222

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi,

I'm new here, even though I have been reading the forums for a while. I'm sorry that my first post has to be a help request, but I have been searching for a while and this is getting a bit too specific.

I've had several bsod problems on my new windows 7 computer, but I think I might have solved it, it was probably a compatibility problem with the nvidia card, wich seemed pretty common. Anyway, looks good so far.

The thing is while I was trying to find the problem with the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, I used CPU-Z to check my RAM. The frequencies and other numbers don't seem right... I would like to know if they are good like that or if I have to change them manually.

Here's what CPU-Z gives me:
2ihmt8l.jpg

And here are my specs, notice the memory:
Intel core i7 920
Asus P6T SE
Nvidia quadro fx 1800
OCZ mod x-stream pro 700 watt
1tb caviar green
OCZ 60gb SSD
OCZ 2 kits of 3x2gb gold series 1333mhz 9-9-9 @1.65V

Thank you for any advice.

edit: By the way, the on the CPU-Z screenshots, I'm only having 2gb of ram installed for testing purposes.

bob222

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Ok I'm still having those bsod even with only 3 ram sticks and after updating all drivers, even the bios. I'm still unsure if it is the memory.

With everything that I've read, it can be lots of things. Bad ram, power supply not giving enough power (700W should be enough?), bad connections somewhere, graphics card problem, drivers, hardware/software incompatibility, motherboard...

I don't want to return the ram to the store in case it's something else... Just did a complete memtest with only one stick of 2gb (up to 135%) with no errors, when I add more, the computer crashes at the first few % (I run a few memtests at the same time to test the whole memory). I will try testing each stick one by one and see if it still crashes...

Edit:
Here's an update, I ran Prime95 with all 12gb of ram and got an error after about 4 min: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

So I'm starting to really think it has to do with the memory voltage and/or frequencies, maybe even the CPU... I didn't overclock, everything is stock. I'm not very confident about going in the bios and modding the numbers, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try upping the voltage a little.

bob222

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I modified my DRAM latencies to 9-9-9 and voltage to 1.64.
Went through Prime95 stress test for around 2 hours and crashed. Looks a bit more stable but I'll keep looking around for similar problems and hardware settings.

bob222

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
It's been a while since I started this thread, but I finally solved my problem and if someone has a similar problem, here's what I did.

I simply put the recommanded settings for the ram in the bios, wich didn't set them correctly with everything on "auto". Like I said in my last post, I changed the latencies and voltage, but I forgot to change the MHz frequency, wich was 1333MHz instead of 1066.