Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fast hard drive right?

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2011 3:24:33 AM

I am looking for some hard drives to put is RAID 0 that are not super expensive but fast. SSDs were too expensive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... That hard drive is just as fast as this hard drive, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If it runs @ the same speeds I can get two of those for about the same price as the other 150gb and put it in RAID 0. Then I would use a 500gb and store all my files from the 74GB and then some. If the 74GBs crashed I would still have all my stuff. That would all work and those two 74GB ones are just as fast as the 150GB version, right?

More about : fast hard drive

a b G Storage
February 9, 2011 4:39:21 AM

They're the same performance-wise. But if you're going to spend over $120 on rotational hard drives, you can get a 64gb SSD that will blow them away for almost the same price. If I were you, i'd get an SSD for your boot volume, and a 500gb or 1tb drive for storage. If you can live with a 64gb boot volume, and you have a mobo that will do sata-III, check out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and get something like this for storage

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But I can't knock the velociraptors though. I run a pair of 150's in a stripe too at home, and have a pair of 1tb wd blacks for storage. They are fast, dont get me wrong, but in this day and age, I can't honestly recommend people go out and but them when SSD's are so damn fast. I've had these VR's since they came out and I got them as a trade for some other hardware, so I couldn't pass it up.
February 9, 2011 4:43:48 AM

Wouldn't two of those raptors in RAID 0 blow away a single SSD? How do I know if I have SATA III on my MOBO? Does it need to be SATA III?
Related resources
February 9, 2011 4:50:27 AM

Does SATA 3GBs mean SATA III? I really do not know much about mobos and Hard Drives.
a b G Storage
February 9, 2011 4:56:30 AM

A) No

B) what's the model of your motherboard? And even if it doesn't support SATA 3, a descent SATA-2 SSD will still blow away a pair of VR's in a stripe.
February 9, 2011 5:06:45 AM

Well, my mobo right now is a Biostar Mcp6p m2+, but I was mostly talking about it for my dad. He wants me to build him a computer. Here is the MOBO I was looking at for him. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Does that support it? Also, how do I flash a BIOS? I have heard that I will need to do that when I get a new MOBO.
a b G Storage
February 9, 2011 5:40:26 AM

That motherboard supports SATA-2. And the SSD you linked would blow away a pair of VR's striped. Flashing BIOS to the latest version is always a good idea. Just go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest version for the motherboard you select, and follow the manufacturer's instructions. It's easy.
February 9, 2011 5:44:25 AM

Okay, cool. Thanks. Do I just DL the file from ASUS and then I get the flash?
February 9, 2011 3:25:29 PM

Your talking about a theoretical build for you Dad, so why are you flashing YOUR bios??

If your system is running good, I would NOT recommend flashing the bios.
February 9, 2011 4:06:54 PM

I am not talking about flashing my BIOS, I am talking about flashing his. That would be irrelevant. I would like to know how to flash one so when I build him a computer it works well.
February 9, 2011 6:09:09 PM

HostileDonut said:
I am not talking about flashing my BIOS, I am talking about flashing his. That would be irrelevant. I would like to know how to flash one so when I build him a computer it works well.

There is no reason to flash your bios unless there is some kind of fix that you need to address with a bios update.

If you don't know how to flash a bios, you should not be building ANYONE a computer.
February 9, 2011 6:15:03 PM

Well, I think I know how to flash a BIOS, but I am not sure I know. I think my dad knows too, but I want to be absolutely positive. You really don't need to be such a jerk. You shouldn't be on this thread if you are not going to help me. I cannot stand people like you who get on my threads and say not to help me, or I should be doing something etc. That is why I am learning. Can you not see that? Everyone starts somewhere. I am sure you started somewhere too and you needed some help.
February 10, 2011 1:15:26 PM

I'm still not sure what flashing YOU or your DADS bios has to do with the question you posted about.
February 10, 2011 3:41:48 PM

Well, it kind of derailed. Whatever, I am not talking to you anymore.

Best solution

a c 143 G Storage
February 10, 2011 3:57:12 PM

1.) When it comes to flashing BIOS, you want to flash through the BIOS not a Windows program first!!

2.) All of the updated BIOS come with a "Read-Me" file or instructions on how to flash their BIOS (each can be different). Follow the instructions to the "T" and ensure there is not concerns with "power" when doing so. The one thing you don't want is a flash to go bad, because it can cause the motherboard to be dead and unusable. This is why GeekApproved most likely stated not to flash your BIOS unless need to fix a know issue or provide compatibility for a device. I'm an experienced builder and I personally don't like flashing BIOS for that risk alone. It goes back to the saying... "If it ain't broke... don't fix it".

mavroxur has stated the correct approach to stick with a single SSD over RAID0 1st Gen VRaptors. You'll be overall much happier doing so. Once you get everything installed, I've created a nice little "tweaks" guide you can use to help with performance.... http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
February 10, 2011 4:34:38 PM

Thank you, Techmo34. I just heard that 6-core processors didn't always work in that mobo and you might have to flash the BIOS, so I wanted to make sure I knew how. You have to burn the BIOS file on to a disk and then boot to that disk from the BIOS and it will flash it right?
February 11, 2011 2:53:21 PM

HostileDonut said:
Thank you, Techmo34. I just heard that 6-core processors didn't always work in that mobo and you might have to flash the BIOS, so I wanted to make sure I knew how. You have to burn the BIOS file on to a disk and then boot to that disk from the BIOS and it will flash it right?

Now were talking about a bios flash for 6 core processors.....for Dads computer or yours......lol

I thought the topic was about hdd's?
February 11, 2011 3:40:35 PM

Does it matter if it is for my dad or me? Not really. Yes, it was about HDDs I already said that, I got my answer for it though.
February 11, 2011 3:40:49 PM

Best answer selected by HostileDonut.
!